Need advice from the pros

Alex dome

Hi, Im wondering if there's such thing as an ebike that can work as a year long commuter in snowy and rainy conditions. Whatever gets me around and let's me not buy a car so long as I'm in college. So far the juiced crosscurrent has my eye, it seems like it would suit my needs. $1600 is as much as I want to spend but i'll pay the extra dollar if it's really worth it. I don't know much about ebikes so any advice from the pros is appreciated.

In addition to David Miller's post regarding the link to find a good ebike, I think you need to buy winter tires/studded tires. Here's a link I find it helpful: https://gearjunkie.com/winter-bike-commuting-10-tips-ride-safe

I'm planning to ride my ebike this winter. It's going to be my first year. I'm scared a little bit. I'm trying to prepare my best as I can. I would appreciate very much to hear from anyone one on here who has experience of riding ebike in the snow.

@Alex dome don't bother with the link in the post above (sorry other new guy).

I think with that budget you are on the right track. If you happen to live in Minnesota I have one of my own bikes that would be better suited (if sizing worked, it is a 29er), I just listed it today on Craigslist.
One more thing you'll probably want to budget for some studded tires for the winter riding.

Okay so studded tires seem essential. I'm mostly worried about riding in ice and having the salt screw up the bikes gears. I'm sure there's a way to clean the gears after each ride, but how risky would it be to occasionally commute alongside cars with icy roads? Anything else I should consider?

Okay so studded tires seem essential. I'm mostly worried about riding in ice and having the salt screw up the bikes gears. I'm sure there's a way to clean the gears after each ride, but how risky would it be to occasionally commute alongside cars with icy roads? Anything else I should consider?

Risky as hell. Not only do the cars slide, but you're in big doo doo if you do. And it sure isn't hard with a bike. No bike trails? Routes that stay off busy streets? etc?

Back