NCM Moscow Bottom Bracket Bearing Failure

RJC

Hi, done 40 miles total on new bike and the crank bearings have failed.Removed bracket and found a third of the bearings where missing, must have been done during manufacture as there is nowhere the bearings can escape externally.Have let Leon Cycles know but not holding out much hope for a reply. Although the bike uses shimano gearing the bottom Bracket is made by NECO. Have ordered a Shimano replacement.

Fitted Shimano replacement,works perfectly,nice smooth gear changes ,no chain rub. Now waitng for a reply from Leon Cycles..........!

Thanks for that RJC, what is the cable that looks like it goes into the bottom bracket? I'm assuming changing the bottom bracket is nothing to do with the electrics? Sorry for all the questions

Hi, there is a Cadence sensor on the lefthand crank, this is used to sense when you start to pedal. Once you have removed the crank arm you can carefully use a couple of screwdrivers and gently lever from behind to remove it. . You dont need to remove the electrical conector, just leave the sensor hanging. When fitting back onto the Shimano BB it was a bit tighter to fit back on. I used a socket and gently tapped on with a hammer. Make sure you clean the threads on the frame once you have removed the old BB, then put new grease on them.

What was wrong with the Bottom Bracket ?

Last edited:
When I first rode the bike the pedal came off the bottom bracket, the square arm must of got a little chewed, Leon sent me a new crank set, the pedal won't go all the way on though

Did they not send a new Bottom Bracket also ? The Bottom Bracket is a square tapered design. When you put the crank pedal arm on, it may not push on all the way to start with. As you do the bolt up it will push the arm onto it tightly. Torque setting for bolt in owners manual, try not to over tighten.

Last edited:
If the bearings feel ok and the bracket spindle doesn't look worn I suspect the crank bolts werent fully tightened from new. Hopefully the crank arms were worn only, unless the threads in the spindle ends are damaged as well.
I got a quote from a local bike shop to fit the new BB and also supplied Leon Cycles with the cost of the new part They agreed to pay for it under warranty. They refunded my Paypal Account. Put it all in an E-mail to them and they should sort it for you.
I also re-checked everything else was tight on the bike.

Hi,
If the bearings feel ok and the bracket spindle doesn't look worn I suspect the crank bolts werent fully tightened from new. Hopefully the crank arms were worn only, unless the threads in the spindle ends are damaged as well.
I got a quote from a local bike shop to fit the new BB and also supplied Leon Cycles with the cost of the new part They agreed to pay for it under warranty. They refunded my Paypal Account. Put it all in an E-mail to them and they should sort it for you.
I also re-checked everything else was tight on the bike.

Hi,
I've got a creaky/cranky noise coming from the cranks. The bike had only done a few hundred miles.
I am going to swap the pedals to make sure it's not a pedal bearing and then contact ncm. Im in UK so will contact ncm germany, did you email Germany and if so do you have any he email or telephone number.
ThanksTony

Hi,

Hi,
I've got a creaky/cranky noise coming from the cranks. The bike had only done a few hundred miles.
I am going to swap the pedals to make sure it's not a pedal bearing and then contact ncm. Im in UK so will contact ncm germany, did you email Germany and if so do you have any he email or telephone number.
ThanksTony

Hi,
I've found the email for Germany and informed them of the problem.
I'm very pleased with the bike so hope it can be resolved quickly as I'm sure it will.Tony

Reactions: RJC
Hi,
I've found the email for Germany and informed them of the problem.
I'm very pleased with the bike so hope it can be resolved quickly as I'm sure it will.Tony
If you have to change the Bottom Bracket this is the one I used. Shimano BB-UN26 Bottom Bracket - Black, 68-122 mm from Amazon. Fitted ok and a better make than original part. I sent them an invoice for parts and labor which a local bike shop quoted and they refunded me thru Paypal. You could also fit the part yourself If you have the tools to save time.
You should get a reply between 5-7 days hopefully...........

Last edited:
If you have to change the Bottom Bracket this is the one I used. Shimano BB-UN26 Bottom Bracket - Black, 68-122 mm from Amazon. Fitted ok and a better make than original part. I sent them an invoice for parts and labor which a local bike shop quoted and they refunded me thru Paypal. You could also fit the part yourself If you have the tools to save time.
You should get a reply between 5-7 days hopefully...........
Thx,
Thanks a lot and ,I've

Back