Mystery Bike Burnout

Joe Good

I own an 18' Rad Rover. I live along the gulf coast in Port Aransas, Texas (aka, the corrosion capital of the world). The weather here has been crap this winter with wet, dense fog almost everyday.

Now I'm getting error 30 messages, then the screen goes blank. But the bike still works, both in throttle only & pedal assist modes?

We're assuming the plugin connections are wet (perhaps corroded) and I need to clean & spray with contact cleaner, then let them dry out?

Then last night, I heard something squealing away outside my door and discovered the frigin' bike was burning off the rear tire!

It was being charged at the time, but was NOT turned on? All I could do is grab the brake and unplug the main cable. Otherwise it would keep spinning the tire. Needless to say, it was doing a number on my rear tire!

Anyway ... what the hell. Does anyone have a solution other then this normally dependable bike is now possessed by evil-minded foggy spirits?

Attachments

• rad.jpg
    rad.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 601
Last edited:
Do let us know what Rad has to say about this and how you resolve the problem. Is it still under warranty?

Not yet, they won't be open until Monday. I bought the bike second-hand from the original owner, so not sure if it still has a warranty?

Hopefully you haven't just discovered the reason the original owner sold it.......

Until absolutely sure you have found your gremlin, maybe a good idea to use the key to turn the bike off when not in use?

Just a thought here, but the only place I can think of for what happened to your bike would be within the controller. If that's the case (IF! confirm first!), and you have to purchase a controller, wondering if you have seen Boltons new kit, which would not just replace the controller (and the display) to repair your issue, but also provide a huge upgrade to the bike. His plug and play setup increases the bike's performance potential quite a bit. Point being, if you have to buy a controller, you might just as well do it right!

See if this doesn't explain what I'm thinking a little better:

First thought was water inside the display caused it to turn on the controller, but there is nothing inside the display that can activate the throttle. That's on a separate circuit that goes to the controller.

Must be water inside the controller then. Grabbing the brakes should have shut down the motor. If it still ran, it suggests the electronics are cold, wet, and confused, and probably sizzled up now. You could open up the box, look for corrosion, maybe try to clean/dry. Oh well, controllers are not expensive.

Yes Harry, grabbing the brake did stop it. Then when I release the brake, the tire spins again.

I'm pretty sure it's the controller. I can't imagine wet connections would cause it. Seems like a faulty computer signal (controller) is the only thing that would cause a motor spin on its own?

I wonder if my riding style is causing the controller failures, because this will be controller #3? I often ride (throttle only) up & down the shoreline. It's kinda like alpine skiing ... sideways on a power bike.

It's killer fun to slide both tires back & forth! But ya really gotta trust your balance & those 5" tires!!! LOL

I have a spare controller to swap out for now. But I'll keep that upgrade unit in mind as well...

Attachments

• 20190223_170744 (1).jpg
    20190223_170744 (1).jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 487
3 controllers ? That's not right. You need to troubleshoot with the OEM, as to what is going on. One doesn't go through controllers unless it's a DIY job that has created a mismatch, or some other cause. Extreme riding situations might cause some issues if you are mountain biking and lots of severe hills, but again that can be solved with the right controller. In your current situation, it could be some sort of wiring issue, and not the controller. Sounds very odd.

I hope your right Mike. I brought the bike indoors yesterday & unplugged all the connections so they dry out ... if in fact that's the issue? However they didn't look wet or corroded to me.

Tomorrow, I'll reconnect them and see what happens? If needed, I'll replace the controller. If that doesn't resolve it, I'll swap out the wiring harness. I already have the replacement parts.

My problem is I don't have a climate controlled place to store it when not in use. I park it in a carport, so it doesn't get rained on, but it's always in a salty, humid environment.

Not an ideal setting for an electric bike. BTW, does anyone know where I can find a 18' owners manual online so I can trouble shoot these issues? Rad's online manual is from 16'. It wasn't relevant to my 18' bike.

Sorry for so many questions guys, but I'm new to e.bike idiosyncrasies. Tx!

I don't remember seeing any troubleshooting issues relevant to your issues in my '18 manual.

Looking at it logically though, the controller is the only place where all the required "stuff" to make what you have going on is present when the display is powered down.

A big wet gob of corrosion (or something?) on the controller's pc board would be my guess. You may luck out and get away with a liberal dose of WD-40 to get it functional again - unless you've wiped out one of the internal processors or something.

Best of luck! -Al

If it is still doing wacky burnouts, unplug the throttle to see if part of the problem is throttle or if it is inside the controller.

If the display is powered down (off), there should be no signal to/from the throttle.

Harry, I tried disconnecting the throttle plugin. It was still wacky? But thanks y'all. You've all given me several good leads to work with!

I'll let it dry more today and them rip into it tomorrow. But I'm pretty sure the controller is the culprit...

Can't wait to get back in the saddle again. I love this new e.ride.

Like I'm telling my buds ... once y'all go phat ... ya won't go back!

I don't remember seeing any troubleshooting issues relevant to your issues in my '18 manual.

Looking at it logically though, the controller is the only place where all the required "stuff" to make what you have going on is present when the display is powered down.

A big wet gob of corrosion (or something?) on the controller's pc board would be my guess. You may luck out and get away with a liberal dose of WD-40 to get it functional again - unless you've wiped out one of the internal processors or something.

Best of luck! -Al

Tx Al

Warranties usually just cover the original owner, alas. But the maker still should be able to help. Maybe you need a new controller? I saw above that that's already on your list ... hang in there!!!

I figured the warranty coverage was only hopeful-thinking anyway...

I've already removed the old unit and re-sprayed the current plugin connections with CRC QD Electronic Cleaner. I'll install the new controller in the morning to see if that resolved the issue? If not, I'll install the new plugin package and hope for the best.

If that doesn't work, I'll surely cuss up a storm ... probably have a beer ... cuz I'll be fresh outta good ideas! lol

Also, I took the new controller apart and used clear silicone to seal the cover back onto the unit. I included the 4 screw holes and wire entry point at the bottom of the controller. So hopefully the new unit stays sealed tight.

Once I finally establish full operations, I'll also use put a silicone wrap on all the plugin connections.

My theory is make sure every point of entry in that system is sealed super tight. I'll update once I finish with the project.

Wish me luck y'all... Cheers!

--- SUCCESS ---

I swapped out the controller, no luck. Swapped out the wiring harness ... BINGO!

It must have been corrosion, because I found zero moisture in any plugins. At any rate, I cleaned & sprayed every connection, then sealed them with silicone. I doubt anything seeps in & destroys them now.

But I still can't stop wondering what the heck made it come alive & do a smoky burnout in the middle of the night?

Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions & advise ... :cool:

Last edited:
Back