My Turbo Vado 6.0 is in! (Northern suburbs of Chicago)

30s is great weather to ride! I’ve put 100 miles on so far this week near Saratoga Springs, NY... only problem was the wind this morning, it was really blowing out there, almost blew me off the road shoulder a couple of times.

Regardless, that’s a nice looking bike. This weekend is gonna be no good with rain, but mid week is looking like it might not be bad.

Thanks for the pics. I have a Vado 6.0 on order. I see you have a medium frame. I'm 5' 11" and ordered a large. Just wondering how tall you are and how well the bike fits ?

Thanks for the pics. I have a Vado 6.0 on order. I see you have a medium frame. I'm 5' 11" and ordered a large. Just wondering how tall you are and how well the bike fits ?
I’m 5’9”. I just rode around the LBS parking lot when I picked it up on Tuesday. The Medium feels good. I ride a 54 road bike that weighs 16 lbs. The Turbo Vado at 54 lbs is a very different experience.
I plan on riding tomorrow late morning before bad weather comes in. I’ll update here.
Cracks me up how big the Turbo Vado 6.0 is next to my road bike.

Attachments

• 46BFA274-CC5B-4682-8482-7F596B07D646.jpeg
    46BFA274-CC5B-4682-8482-7F596B07D646.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 4,054
Thanks Nducoff, from the way you look in your picture you could be my twin. I ride a 58 road bike so the large should fit me well. Looking forward to your update. I'm looking at late Dec. for my Vado.

MY REVIEW ...
Just did my first ride on my Turbo Vado 6.0. I ride a 16 lb road bike. Riding the 54 lb Vado is a hoot. It’s BIG and FAST. Cracked me up how fast I was going. Got some easy personal records on Strava that I’ll have to explain.
So...it was cold AND the most crazy fun ride I’ve had in years. The Vado is smooth riding. Like an old Lincoln Continental.
WHY I GOT THE VADO. I was hit by a van last June 7th. Fractured left hip socket, three cracked ribs and other injuries. I now have a plate and 10 screws as a souvenir. Summer sucked. I ordered the Vado figuring it would be a good way to begin riding. Took longer to arrive than I thought. I was back on my road bike October 1st. I’m doing good. AND I’m still happy I got the Vado. I wanted something different to ride with my wife who got a Pedego last August.
Here’s the link to my ride on Strava...
https://www.strava.com/activities/1280695465

Ndu, that is funny about the sizing as the guy at my lbs promised me up and down I need a large at 5'9" and that I would regret getting a medium. My lbs sells the most bikes west of the Mississippi, or at least that is what they tell me, and I will say the shop is highly rated. Be awesome to get your thoughts. This was our email chain

They are running small and would put you on a XL before the M.
You will be very cramped on the Med size Vado turbo.

After riding it for a week and you know how it feels there are a lot of parts we can adjust for the proper fit. But I firmly believe that a L is the best place to start.

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 29, 2017, at 9:01 PM,

I was wondering what your thoughts on sizing was. At 5’9 I think I am right on the edge of a medium vs large. I’m pretty sure the large felt correct, but I didn’t really try a medium, so I wanted your opinion.
Thanks

I’m 5’9” and got a medium. Never considered a large. I ride a 54 road bike. Tried a 56 once and it was too big.

Today was my first ride on the Vado medium. Felt just right, especially considering it’s a tank next to my road bike.

Not sure how much bigger a large Vado is, but for me, anything bigger would be too big.

Gotta ride what feels right for you. I would just see if there’s any way your LBS could locate a medium to try before you buy.

Just my two cents.
Hope it helps.

Last edited:

I'm 5-10" and the Large is too big for me, but the Medium fits well. My pants size is a 30" inseam, so my legs tend to be relatively shorter than my torso. Over the Summer I test rode the Turbo Levo 6Fattie for a couple of days and similarly the Medium fit me better than the Large.

Anyone know if Vado 6.0 TFT computer can link to a Garmin Edge 1000 via Bluetooth? Tried “Adding Device” from the Garmin but nothing linkable to the Vado showed up. I assume it’s not possible.

I went and test rode a large again yesterday and the tube rides super high in my "chode" area when standing over the bike at stop signs/lights...Riding position is great but getting going from a stop is not as smooth as it would be with a bike that fit better. They had a medium in stock in a 3.0 but it sold a hour before I came in to test ride it, they can't keep them in stock. I seriously caught and "Ehigh" while riding that thing, it's freaking awesome, I can't wait.

Thursday they have a 6.0 ready to go in both a medium and a large and I am leaving with one of them, which I assume is a medium. Thanks for the heads up and sizing advice from you guys in this thread, really appreciated. I will update once I get it.

Ndu, I have no idea. I know there was a way with the mission app to get turn by turn directions, but I don't know if that is even an option currently, anybody know how to do this or if this option is even available?

MISSION CONTROL app: When I picked up my Turbo Vado 6.0 on November 15th, my bike shop told me they called Specialized to find out about the pending availability of the Mission Control app … that was supposed to arrive in November. Specialized said it won’t be available until early 2018.

McSpiffy, I'm in Highland Park, just East of where you noted. I typically ride either the Des Plaines River trail system or the Green Bay Trail system. The Green Bay trail can be accessed a block from my house, but the nicer Des Plaines River trails are a 15 minute car ride away. My goal is to avoid the car ride, and I can reach the trails just using the bike.

Hey Ike582- That is a great looking bike. I test rode a Specialized Vado at the Chicago eBikeExpo and it was sweet!
I like to ride the GB Trail starting at Wilmette Ave and GB Road and take it north to Lake Cook Rd, then swing around to the North Branch in Turnbull Woods. I've found that part of the GBT a bit on the bumpy side for a commuter ebike. Seems like the NBT is a more well paved and smooth if your looking for that kind of ride. Never tried the Des Plaines River trail. Put that on my bucket list...

Last edited:
JRA, for sure that's part of it. Riding the bike it reminded me a bit of my first car, a tiny 1977 Datsun with a 1.4 liter 4-cylender engine and a 5-speed. If you are paying attention, that kind of car can teach you a lot about "energy management." It's the same with an e-bike. You don't want to waste energy slowing down any more than necessary. The guy at the bike shop has been riding the Turbo Levo 6Fatty since the summer as a commuter bike, and he told me as I was leaving the shop to make sure I downshift after a slowdown, and not to stay in high gear and rely on the motor to get me back to speed. He said it burns juice unnecessarily, and I believe him.
I stay in the same low gear when speeding up and slowing down and even though it may eat more juice, I am still getting 25-30 mls out of the battery which suits me fine. Perhaps I can try shifting more and see if I can ramp up more miles. Thanks for the tip guys. Ride safe!

The Trek SuperCommuter 8 is at about the same price point with Bosch mid-drive in the same class for a speed pedelec as the Vado 6.0. Test rode the Trek at the Expo and it was also a well oiled machine which also felt like I was on a Range Rover eBike. The Vado 3.0 was tested soon after, and I have to say the Trek won hands down in all categories IMHO.

Back