My Teo review, updated

Dan Edwards

Well its been a few weeks, I've had my Teo and the Rad out riding.
I enjoy these electric bikes.
I do have a trailer bike behind the Teo most of the time. My 8yr daughter loves to ride along, she helps peddle at times!
I have both bikes outfitted with LED wheel lights, mine being the 486 led unit from eBay. Hers is the Monkey light. With valve stem lights, and small loop of LED on the trailer bike. So we are quite the show when riding through town together in the evening!

My thoughts, would I buy a Teo' again. No, I do not believe the bike is set up to 750 watts! Hence I can ride twice as far as the Rad, even while pulling the trailer. The Rad and a M2s bike both. Uphill allot easier than the Teo. ( stopped and waited for me ) any hill at length the wife will ride on by me. *RadRover and M2s bikes use the same Bafang 750 watt hub. M2s is made at the same factorie as the Teo'.

There is no accessory stand off mounts ( water bottle ).

I love the hydro brakes, They out perform the Rads brakes. Believe me, downhill 12% at 30mph with the trailer in tow. Coming to a hard stop. Awsum! I could smell them getting hot. Might upgrade to a 200mm rotor. ( Already changed the Rads calipers and pads for a better unit )

I have swapped the seat out for a cloud 9. Replaced the compass with a Rock Bro. brass bell

I have the large frame, I caution anyone to get sized for a bike. I have the stem adjust all the way up and added a stem extension. I don't think the medium would have worked for me either. I found the crank center line to the ground is higher than the Rad, and a display ebike at the bike shop.

The cables / routing is clean and impressive.

My future upgrade will be Luna Cycle mid drive unit ( 3000 watt ) It will take care of the power issue! It will add unsightly wires. And a bigger battery pack.

Teo' the bikes need a better display with WATTAGE output! Color even!

Shipping to the USA, I got lucky, 38 hours. Montreal .CA to Lynchburg .VA , USA. $148. No damage!

Photos later!

Looks like the real big issue is power. 'cause in every other aspect, well except for the water bottle, it's fantastic for the price.

You're lucky, as you have something else to compare it to. Most of us don't.

I also doubt that mine is '750W' enabled. Even though Benoit told me it was, the box was still sealed from the factory when I got it.... I spend many months in the US each year, hence the reason I wanted to have it US spec'd.

I am getting a Watt Power Meter soon, will install it to see exactly how much wattage I am getting.

Truth be told though, I find it fast enough, but then again I remember when I thought my Super Fast 2400 baud modem was fast o_O

Do you think the Teo's controller is backing off the wattage as the battery pack is slowly depleted? I think the Voltbike Yukon 750 controller does this? Maybe Teo/Volt do this to protect the battery pack and controller for longevity?

Last edited:
Do you think the Teo's controller is backing off the wattage as the battery pack is slowly depleted? I think the Voltbike Yukon 750 controller dose this? Maybe Teo/Volt do this to protect the battery pack and controller for longevity?

That could be very well the case, but at this point it's pure speculation as Benoit is not very good at explaining anything. I know he monitors this forum, he could chime in to explain and comfort his customers, and potential customers too, as George from Voltbike does on a regular basis...
That would go a long way in generating new sales. In today's markets, good communication is key to success.

Believe me, we ride in town allot, stop and eat etc, The bikes draw allot of attention ( could be the lights lol ).

I am asked were to buy electric bikes. the local shop cheapest bike is $3000. I have been recomending Rad bikes and M2s. Both have easy financing. I used Affirm to purchase my Teo'

The Rad and a M2s bike both. Uphill allot easier than the Teo. ( stopped and waited for me ) any hill at length the wife will ride on by me.

Hi Dan. Have you tried any separate tests with just you riding on each of the bikes (Teo/Rad/M2S) and go up the same hill to see how each bike does? To be a fair test I would think you would want to have similar weight riders, and have similar power you are putting to the pedals etc.

I'm just saying this because we have some big, long hills around here that my wife and I ride up. I can generate more power to the pedals than she can, hands down. (Or feet down i guess)o_O. I also have a good 70-80lbs more weight than her. We both go to 9 on PAS. As we climb, she moves to the front no problem. I can't keep up. We have the same bikes. I know there's more to this, but I think you can understand what I'm saying.

Benoit mentioned the new 750w 2018's have the square wave controller and the 500w have the sine wave controller. He told me that our bikes (the 2017's) have a sine wave controller, and that they will produce 750 watts, but it is a more gradual progression of power. I also remember someone on here saying the new Teo's have upgraded controllers that produce more power. I guess it is because they have square wave controllers? Maybe the M2S and the Rad have the square wave controllers instead of the sine wave controllers?

I found this on you tube. I don't know if that is a good representation of a square wave controller or not. It seems very snappy, but also very loud and doesn't look like it would be very comfortable to ride. Reminds me of my RC trucks. Ones that have the regular Speed control and brushless motor VS ones that have sensored speed control and motor. Both go the same speed, but the sensored is smooth and isn't near as jumpy. I think the sensored is making more of a sine wave VS a square wave.

Looks like there could be a ton of discussion on this kind of thing, probably already has been if I search EBR, lol. I guess if you're not happy with the performance you should ask Benoit if in fact your bike was "dialed down" by accident? Have you tried to contact Benoit about this? I'm kind of confused as he told me my bike has the 750 watts and I'm pretty sure we all have the same bike.
Honestly now that I have been riding and am used to how it feels, I could go for some more power and torque as well. That wasn't the case when I first rode it though. It was "holy crap this thing moves!" And that's the response I see when I let my friends try it out too. I guess we will just have to wait and see what he tells us.

I know the bikes of the competition Rad or M2S have good bikes. These are the ones that come closest to the quality of our Téo model. Our 750W are very powerful, they are a bit faster than the Rad and similar to the M2S

We have 2 electric bikes in our family, mine is the Teo the wife has the RadRover. Oh yes we have swapped bikes to compare. She can can not peddle, our has a hard time getting the teo up the same hills like she can with her Rad. The guy with the M2s just happen to pass by, talked long enough compare bikes, Rode about 3 miles on town. I'm busy with out of town work.later I will be wireing an amp/watt meter just to see what is going on. Been nice if Teo had that option on the display!
I did contact Benoit, he says it shipped set at 750 watts. I until proven other wise, I doubt that it is. Battery use alone, while pulling the trailer bike. I still have 1/2 charge left after 15 miles. The Rad is about empty.
I would gladly but anther controller if it would do better and come with an updated display.
As you can see, we do enjoy the bikes. I'm hoping to take mine to Florida and commute to my beach side job.

Just an update, OMG spell check sucks, so sorry for the poor grammar.
So me and the Teo' are on work vacation on st Lucie Florida. Jyst to reiterate me and the wife have traded bikes. With the same results. I can ride the Rad and pull a wheelie going up hill with a little effort.
I have a 12 mile commute to work all flat except the last 1/4 mile. A causeway bridge. Waiting for the winds to die down. It takes pass 5 to maintain 18mph. Before I try my ride.
So... I enjoy my bike tremendously. While down here I've seen others. Not near as good looking! Most were upgrades/ kits.

So I seen Teo asking me to call......

Thought I would share a photo. Jenson Beach, Indian River Florida

Attachments

• 20171101_183933.jpg
    20171101_183933.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 695
That sure looks like a beautiful area!!
We have found out that some bikes that were supposed to be 750Watts were only 500Watts instead, I wonder if you didn't have the same issue.
It might be worth to call Benoit, or even looked at your controller to make sure you do have a 750W.
I find it weird that you would have a hard time to maintain 18mph, I know mine of only a 500W, since it is the law in Canada. But I heard other guys getting good speed with their 750W.
I sure will pay to see someone pulling a wheelie whit their Teo, I find the wheel base is much longer and the bike itself is fairly heavy...;)
Good luck and I hope you can figure out what's up with your Teo.

Your the first to mention that their is a possible controller issue. I'm down in Florida wanting to do the 10 mile commute to work ( nuclear power generation plant ) but with constant breeze of 10mph I would be in mode 5 all the way, I do 5 not 7 levels.
I have a air pump on order, let you know how a beach ride is soon.

Funny thing, we are the ambassadors for online bike shops. Sitting at a beach side bar, guy was interested in my bike. Showed him the basics, took it for a ride. SOLD. Showed him 4 online stores, Rad, Luna, Teo, M2s. He went with M2s.
These local shops sell overpriced kit bikes. Or expensive top of the line bikes $3,000 + Luna still has them beat.

I'll give Teo a call, odd he has all my info. And very well knows of my issue.
Teo should offer a 750w controller for sale. Let user install. Or mid drive base with 1000 watt controller option Y'all just don't realize the difference of 250 watts! Average man can peddle 250 watt without assist, so as I have read.

Not sure what you're saying. He rode your bike, the Téo and he loved it.

Or did he fall in love with fat tire E-bikes?

But then he bought an M2s, 'cause the web site was better?

Sorry am I missing something?

likely the guy just liked riding a fat bike in general, not Teo specifically.
actually, if I was buying a new bike now, I'd likely pick M2s as well - better selection, clear specs (no 500 vs 750 confusion we get from Teo), good prices.
but, I still enjoy my Teo :)

He enjoyed my bike, Electric bike riding I general!
I did make him aware of my issues, regarding power. But also the finer points that make the Teo stand out. From the others
Now I did talk to Bennoit about exchanging parts to make my bike a 750 watt. ( some US bound bikes were not upgraded to 750 watts, as i find out back in August! ) Exchange mine for the upgrades. Me doing the mechanic work and shipping.
Now I can upgrade tires as well!

He enjoyed my bike, Electric bike riding I general!
I did make him aware of my issues, regarding power. But also the finer points that make the Teo stand out. From the others
Now I did talk to Bennoit about exchanging parts to make my bike a 750 watt. ( some US bound bikes were not upgraded to 750 watts, as i find out back in August! ) Exchange mine for the upgrades. Me doing the mechanic work and shipping.
Now I can upgrade tires as well!

A few comments @Dan Edwards :

1. That cable that runs from the rear wheel to the controller (the connector is different) can be a challenge to fish out and back in. I tried and gave up... was worried about not being able to run the new one in. I think the controller connectors are added at the factory, once the cable is fished through, the hole is too small to pull them out that way...

2. Shipping the wheel and other parts to Canada may be an expensive proposition... have you confirmed a price ?

In any event I wish you good luck and hope for the best. I am in your boat, ordered a 750W and got a 500W...But I am not ready to spend more money for to get it fixed...

Bennoit was traveling when i talked to him, to much background noise. He sold a product not as listed. Denied the problem existed.... until? I would hope he pays for shipping. If the cable cant be swapped? he needs to come up with an option! As i stated somewere, alot of his business is internet sales. he needs to make good on his sale, do whatever it takes to make it right! I have the email with him stating the US bound bikes would be set at 750 watts.

I am in Toronto but I spend 4-6 months each year in the US. I ordered the 750W, and it was confirmed in emails too. Got a 500W controller and motor, as I found out only when I opened it up.

But he wanted me to pay for shopping my rear wheel, controller and cable.

I took the rear wheel off, removed the disc brake as he requested, removed the controller but got really worried with the cable as I mentioned. It is, in my opinion a very, very difficult task to remove, and tougher to reinstall the new one... So I stopped and put it back together. Really worried I would be stuck with this when he returned the new parts to me.

He called me, I told him I was not shipping the parts back, he suggested I could drop by, in Montréal, with my bike and he would swap the parts... Well that does not make sense to me.

I'm leaving for Texas in a month or so, and am, shall I say, not impressed.

Bottom line: I do not believe he will want to pay for shipping...

Nope he won't pay shipping, I'll be sending my parts back, get this bike like it should be. Then i can mod another bike with Luna's 3000 watt kit.

Went for a beach ride today, awsum. Took a little to much air out of the back tire, or got a hole in it? Oh yes in the water I went, surf was rough. Mode 3 took minimal effort until I got in the loose sand. Now for a good bath! Then dissesemble
20171111_103811.jpg

Very liking the picture on the beach! But not some much the service you are getting, like you said the you weren't the one that make the mistake...:mad:

A few comments @Dan Edwards :

1. That cable that runs from the rear wheel to the controller (the connector is different) can be a challenge to fish out and back in. I tried and gave up... was worried about not being able to run the new one in. I think the controller connectors are added at the factory, once the cable is fished through, the hole is too small to pull them out that way...

2. Shipping the wheel and other parts to Canada may be an expensive proposition... have you confirmed a price ?

In any event I wish you good luck and hope for the best. I am in your boat, ordered a 750W and got a 500W...But I am not ready to spend more money for to get it fixed...
Dennis I got the cable out using a 90' pick and needle nose pliers to keep the connector square with the hole. I also took the other cable all the way down as well ( to the crank ). I intend on deburring that inside hole taking the edge off. I'll use heavy fishing line or a tig rod to push n pull when I go back together.
Shipping, I asked Bennoit if he could arrange on his end and save us some money, (DHL) just pay him. local pack ship est. 105$

Back