My Supercells and Surly Rigid Fork are in

CodyDog

Region
USA
City
Colorado
My LBS is installing a new Surly rigid fork and Supercells on Monday. The majority of my riding is on pavement so I'm looking forward to a smoother ride. The forks are approximately 3 pounds lighter than the current Rad fork. Can't wait to see how the Rad handles.

CodyDog, the bike will have a less mushy feel in the front with those rigid forks especially maneuvering & turns. Good choice since you're riding primarily good roads :)

That's what I did and it greatly improved handling especially when you are hard braking on a steep decline. That, the tire swap and install of hydraulic brakes transformed the bike.
_DSC1778.jpg

I would do the supercells first and try them out before switching out the forks. I've never been a fan of the standard Kenda tires for urban roads +15 mph.

I love my Supercell tires and I just locked out the stock suspension fork on my 2018 RadRover. Had a guy in his truck ask me at a red light if the tires made a difference in the ride, and I told him "Smooth as silk." Running mine at 18 PSI.

Good news/Bad news. Installed the Supercells but the Surly Rigid fork had some manufactures deffects. One leg was shorter than the other. Hard to imagine it left the factory that way.

Just took a very short ride down the street and the tires experience some self steering (not good) I'll try a little bit more air pressure in them tomorrow and see how they ride.

My Vee8 front tire had self steer pretty bad when I was messing around with PSI levels. PSI at 17 or less had a lot self steer to the right. It went away once I up the pressure to the 20-23 range.

Aired up the Supercells and everything is good. Much smoother ride on the Rad Rover now.

Awesome! Just got my first flat on Friday and on the rear wheel too. Hawaii has its own version of goathead thorns called kiawe, and one got me. Fortunately, the Supercell did a pretty impressive job of holding back the thorn and it just nicked the tube. I didn't lose any air pressure until I arrived home and pulled the thorn out. I was able to patch the tube without removing the wheel, which is a good thing because I could not get it to budge this time. The bike is at my LBS this weekend to adjust for brake cable stretch so I'm having him remove the wheel and take a flat file to the rear dropouts so it will slide in/out a little easier. I'm not carrying a rubber mallet in my trunk bag, but I am going to add Slime. While I hate flats like everyone else, I also see it as an opportunity to get more familiar with my bike.

Awesome! Just got my first flat on Friday and on the rear wheel too. Hawaii has its own version of goathead thorns called kiawe, and one got me. Fortunately, the Supercell did a pretty impressive job of holding back the thorn and it just nicked the tube. I didn't lose any air pressure until I arrived home and pulled the thorn out. I was able to patch the tube without removing the wheel, which is a good thing because I could not get it to budge this time. The bike is at my LBS this weekend to adjust for brake cable stretch so I'm having him remove the wheel and take a flat file to the rear dropouts so it will slide in/out a little easier. I'm not carrying a rubber mallet in my trunk bag, but I am going to add Slime. While I hate flats like everyone else, I also see it as an opportunity to get more familiar with my bike.

I added slime as well. Not that the original Rad tires noise bothered me, but the Supercells are super quite.

Back