My second ride on the CCX

bikerjohn

It was cold and windy but thrilling today on the second spin on my CCX. I've learned there is a considerable difference between a cadence sensing class 1 ebike (like my old EG Zurich), and the class 3 cadence and torque sensing assistance of the CCX.

The cadence only ebike did not have the ability to assist beyond 20 mph or so, and in fact could not achieve that speed without rider assistance at maximum pedal effort. The CCX has no such need of rider effort (although it does require some pedal input). With the addition of torque sensing, the CCX has the ability to outpace rider effort and zoom the bike beyond 28 mph.

In 8th gear and "S" mode (7 power modes include 0, ECO, 1, 2, 3, S,and R) the CCX feels as if it can provide an unlimited amount of assist. Under normal commute cycling situations I will be completely satisfied with the bike's output at level 2 power mode.
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3214968735

Last edited:
Today I did another chilly ride on damp pavement. I kept the assist in mostly ECO and level 1. And a clarification is in order on the power levels. There are seven levels of assist: 0 (thumb throttle, speed monitoring, and battery matrix readout) ; ECO (all the aspects of pedal and cadence assist at the lowest battery draw); levels 1, 2, 3, S (increases available power up to an assist beyond 30 mph); R mode (every bit of energy the battery can muster for maximum assistance);

Power levels 0, ECO,and 1 should be sufficient for most work commutes. Power levels 2,3,S, and R, are there for the need to be ridiculous.
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3226615078

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification. I have not ridden my CCX in damp pavement yet. How did the Marathon plus tires handle? I heard reports that the are scary on damp pavement.

Thanks for the clarification. I have not ridden my CCX in damp pavement yet. How did the Marathon plus tires handle? I heard reports that the are scary on damp pavement.
I keep seeing this on the forum. I'm sure some folks have had the experience of the Pluses being slippery in rain. I have not. They work well for me under all circumstances. I run them towards the low end of the pressure range since I'm more interested in comfort than rolling resistance. Maybe that makes a difference in how well they adhere to the road under slick conditions, I don't know. But I've never had to adjust how I ride because of insufficient gription.

The Marathon plus tires seemed just fine on wet roadway. While I haven't ridden on the tires far enough to wear-off the "vent spew" rubber, the bikes handling was very predictable and intuitive.

Understanding that the tread on most tires require "directional mounting", I wonder if
a handling issue is caused by improper mounting.

Understanding that the tread on most tires require "directional mounting", I wonder if
a handling issue is caused by improper mounting.

I have a hard time imagining how it matters at bike speeds. Hydroplaning isn’t really a thing on bikes from what I hear. I always assumed they added the arrows because they got so many questions about how to mount them. I do know that many very flat resistant tires have a reputation for poor handling in wet conditions. It probably has to do with the tire compound they use.

The rubber compound used for Marathon plus is a tougher long wearing formulation. A long wearing tire tends to be less supple, contributes to less contact with a roadway surface. Lower tire pressures can benefit better traction and handling.

Directional arrows show which way the tire should be mounted to allow the grooves and sipes to work correctly for grip, steering. and water dispersion
Mounting the front tire opposite the directional arrow could contribute to cornering and stability issues due to incorrect orientation.
While aquaplaning is not an issue at bike speeds, correct directional mounting enables for better dispersion of water away from the center contact surface of the tire.

The rubber compound used for Marathon plus is a tougher long wearing formulation. A long wearing tire tends to be less supple, contributes to less contact with a roadway surface. Lower tire pressures can benefit better traction and handling.

Directional arrows show which way the tire should be mounted to allow the grooves and sipes to work correctly for grip, steering. and water dispersion
Mounting the front tire opposite the directional arrow could contribute to cornering and stability issues due to incorrect orientation.
While aquaplaning is not an issue at bike speeds, correct directional mounting enables for better dispersion of water away from the center contact surface of the tire.
I have a tendency to keep my psi near the upper limits (mainly for rolling resistance), but seeing as how the weather in my area is generally wet, I'm gonna dial that back down some after reading yours and Bruce's feedback. Last thing I need is more road rashes! Thanks for the good information and reminder. Ride safe!

Back