My RipCurrent S Experience

roly poly

tl;dr = I think Juiced has things to improve on but I really like what they are doing and I love my new bike. My bike looked like it was "rushed" through production but I still like it for the price range.

Getting my RipCurrent S started off as a somewhat frustrating experience but I think after some tuning (and a couple other things) "she's" gonna be great! I know some people will feel different about the experience I had but I'm happy (so far) and I guess I'm pro-Torra and love what he's doing (growing-pains included).

So, I got the box. Not too bad of shape for something that big to be shipped from Cali to Louisiana. They did ship it UPS...
IMG_20180713_215531.jpg

As gently as I could, I started removing the parts from the top of the box, being careful to not beat anything up. The cable from my break lever (to disengage the motor) was pulled apart by the quick connect with two pins hanging but that was fixed by carefully shoving it all back in. It doesn't sit all the way in there but it works and I can fiddle with it later. I'll probably end up taping it up. I didn't take a picture of that.

Then I start looking at the finish on the bike and it is kinda bad. It looks like it was finished and but maybe had imperfections so they sanded it but never buffed it out or re-coated it? It looks like crap when your up close but it looks ok from a few feet away. Totally works for me though. I can work with it. :) I don't think it was from shipping... I could be wrong but everything seemed pretty well protected in the box. These picture don't illustrate it the best. I may have to take out the good camera but you get the idea.

IMG_20180713_214327.jpg IMG_20180713_214420.jpg IMG_20180713_214535.jpg

The back fender bracket hole is way off center so the rear fender is all wacky but I hope I can get that screw out without taking the rear wheel off.
IMG_20180713_214356.jpg

Then I grabbed the battery and the charger so that I can go start charging the battery while I put together the bike. Went to go plug it in and realized that the charger only had a barrel plug and not the connector needed to charge the battery. I posted about it here. I called support about 3pm on a Friday so I'm not really expecting someone to be answering the phone. Left a message and created a ticket. I'm sure they'll get back with me next week and send me that little adapter. I'll update the outcome here but I understand s*it happens. I won't be a happy camper if I'm waiting a month to get a stupid wire for my bike. haha. I got just a taste of the good life today and I'll get a few more miles tomorrow but then I'm dead in the water. I can already tell I'm headed downhill in the power department. HURRY GUYS! ...and yes, I tore apart every single thing making sure the cable wasn't hiding in there. Peddling this thing without the battery is like replacing the engine with pedals in a Buick.

If anyone knows a link to buy the part (2A charger - barrel plug to 4pin cannon plug?) quicker while I wait that would be awesome!

Documentation was a little sketchy but not impossible to assemble. The rear fender is really close to hitting the tire and is a little wobbly. I may have something wrong but I'll fix it tomorrow. I have time. :|

While examining more of the bike, found more bumps and bruises but its a fat bike. Makes it look mean. haha. :)
IMG_20180713_214159.jpg IMG_20180713_214506.jpg IMG_20180713_215433.jpg IMG_20180713_2145063.jpg

All-in-all, It's been a bumpy start but I think it's gonna be a long sweet journey. Looking forward to it!

My Extras:
IMG_20180713_204702.jpgOrp, Elmnt Bolt, Orp Remote (out of picture right above shifter)
IMG_20180713_214555.jpg Only suspension post my LBS had. Seems like it will work good. I'll let you know when I get to use it.

Not sure what these do either?
IMG_20180713_220117.jpg

Congratulations on your bike delivery! I must admit being new to these forums and the e-bike world, as I'm looking to purchase my first e-bike, I am most fascinated by this sub forum. I see example after example of people pointing out issues with what was delivered for their money yet they are calm, cool, happy, and satisfied with their purchase.

From my work life where I've done a lot of risk management work I know companies have different risk appetites and tolerances for risk. I also believe people do as well. In full transparency I'm risk adverse which is probably why I find risk takers fascinating.

Have fun once you get charged up! Thanks for sharing the details of your unboxing with the pictures to illustrate your commentary as it makes me a more informed buyer.

Cheers!

tl;dr = I think Juiced has things to improve on but I really like what they are doing and I love my new bike. My bike looked like it was "rushed" through production but I still like it for the price range.

Getting my RipCurrent S started off as a somewhat frustrating experience but I think after some tuning (and a couple other things) "she's" gonna be great! I know some people will feel different about the experience I had but I'm happy (so far) and I guess I'm pro-Torra and love what he's doing (growing-pains included).

So, I got the box. Not too bad of shape for something that big to be shipped from Cali to Louisiana. They did ship it UPS...
View attachment 23639

As gently as I could, I started removing the parts from the top of the box, being careful to not beat anything up. The cable from my break lever (to disengage the motor) was pulled apart by the quick connect with two pins hanging but that was fixed by carefully shoving it all back in. It doesn't sit all the way in there but it works and I can fiddle with it later. I'll probably end up taping it up. I didn't take a picture of that.

Then I start looking at the finish on the bike and it is kinda bad. It looks like it was finished and but maybe had imperfections so they sanded it but never buffed it out or re-coated it? It looks like crap when your up close but it looks ok from a few feet away. Totally works for me though. I can work with it. :) I don't think it was from shipping... I could be wrong but everything seemed pretty well protected in the box. These picture don't illustrate it the best. I may have to take out the good camera but you get the idea.

View attachment 23640 View attachment 23641 View attachment 23642

The back fender bracket hole is way off center so the rear fender is all wacky but I hope I can get that screw out without taking the rear wheel off.
View attachment 23643

Then I grabbed the battery and the charger so that I can go start charging the battery while I put together the bike. Went to go plug it in and realized that the charger only had a barrel plug and not the connector needed to charge the battery. I posted about it here. I called support about 3pm on a Friday so I'm not really expecting someone to be answering the phone. Left a message and created a ticket. I'm sure they'll get back with me next week and send me that little adapter. I'll update the outcome here but I understand s*it happens. I won't be a happy camper if I'm waiting a month to get a stupid wire for my bike. haha. I got just a taste of the good life today and I'll get a few more miles tomorrow but then I'm dead in the water. I can already tell I'm headed downhill in the power department. HURRY GUYS! ...and yes, I tore apart every single thing making sure the cable wasn't hiding in there. Peddling this thing without the battery is like replacing the engine with pedals in a Buick.

If anyone knows a link to buy the part (2A charger - barrel plug to 4pin cannon plug?) quicker while I wait that would be awesome!

Documentation was a little sketchy but not impossible to assemble. The rear fender is really close to hitting the tire and is a little wobbly. I may have something wrong but I'll fix it tomorrow. I have time. :|

While examining more of the bike, found more bumps and bruises but its a fat bike. Makes it look mean. haha. :)
View attachment 23644 View attachment 23645 View attachment 23646 View attachment 23647

All-in-all, It's been a bumpy start but I think it's gonna be a long sweet journey. Looking forward to it!

My Extras:
View attachment 23651Orp, Elmnt Bolt, Orp Remote (out of picture right above shifter)
View attachment 23652 Only suspension post my LBS had. Seems like it will work good. I'll let you know when I get to use it.

Not sure what these do either?
View attachment 23653
Those two black things snap in under you seat. It must have been a rough shipment to jar them off !

From my work life where I've done a lot of risk management work I know companies have different risk appetites and tolerances for risk. I also believe people do as well. In full transparency I'm risk adverse which is probably why I find risk takers fascinating.
Thanks p0ppyman! This was a high risk, high reward purchase for me. I have been reading these forums for a little while and was well aware of what I was in for. I don't think I would of reacted the same if I hadn't been lurking in these forums. That being said, I guess it all lies in how long it takes to get me on the road still. I still have faith that they'll take care of me. I love testing out the bike but it is sad to know that soon I will be waiting on a part to ride (at least more than 5mph... haha).

I hope you have a great e-bike purchasing experience! I think skimming through these forums is a great way to inform yourself before making such a significant purchase!

Those two black things snap in under you seat. It must have been a rough shipment to jar them off !
Thanks KAM1952! Please excuse my stupidity, but I still can't figure out exactly how they go and what they do? I literally only looked at it for around a minute though.

Last edited:
Thanks p0ppyman! This was a high risk, high reward purchase for me. I have been reading these forums for a little while and was well aware of what I was in for. I don't think I would of reacted the same if I hadn't been lurking in these forums. That being said, I guess it all lies in how long it takes to get me on the road still. I still have faith that they'll take care of me. I love testing out the bike but it is sad to know that soon I will be waiting on a part to ride (at least more than 5mph... haha).

I hope you have a great e-bike purchasing experience! I think skimming through these forums is a great way to inform yourself before making such a significant purchase!

Thanks KAM1952! Please excuse my stupidity, but I still can't figure out exactly how they go and what they do? I literally only looked at it for around a minute though.

They go it the back on each side of the Selle name plate , and don't do a damn thing but look pretty.

And I would ask that the $100's extra you payed for the polished frame to be refunded! The flat black ones go faster!

They go it the back on each side of the Selle name plate , and don't do a damn thing but look pretty.

And I would ask that the $100's extra you payed for the polished frame to be refunded! The flat black ones go faster!

Thanks! Damn it. Should of gotten black. haha. I think it looks a lot worse when your on the bike looking down but not too bad looking at it from a few feet away. It really is no biggie. I'll probably slap a sticker over the scratched up fender. I think I'm tossing Selle. Not my type. haha. Thank you for that info though!!!

So, you ever start riding and think, well, I need to stop riding now. My half battery trial period is now up (while still trying to leave enough juice to safely store it). Yeah, that's hard to do.

Well, anyway... I know a guy, who knows a guy, in some far off place that needed that same piece! ;) Here are some pics :)

IMG_20180714_232018.jpg charger (3 of 3).jpg charger (1 of 3).jpg charger (2 of 3).jpg

Oh, and let me know if this guy is doing this wrong cause I will relay to him that he is dumb.

Grin Technologies sells the adapter you need. They stock them for the Satiator. I doubt that you'll have any problem getting it from Juiced though. Let us know what happens please.

Congrats on the new bike. Hope you get your adapter soon. How long did you have to wait from the time you placed your order to when the bike was delivered?

Grin Technologies sells the adapter you need. They stock them for the Satiator. I doubt that you'll have any problem getting it from Juiced though. Let us know what happens please.

Bruce, Thank you for that information! Wish I had money for the Satiator but that's a little above my pay grade right now. I had left a message and created a ticket Friday. Still haven't heard back but I'll call again today and see if I can get someone. I'll give them two business days. I understand that I'm not first in line.

Congrats on the new bike. Hope you get your adapter soon. How long did you have to wait from the time you placed your order to when the bike was delivered?

ryanmoore, Thanks! I placed my order on 6/20 and was on the bike 7/13. I live in Louisiana. For me, it was definitely worth the wait! I've already put 60 miles on the bike and have loved every minute!

I love my 19.2 battery, and bike. But in full disclosure, it took about 2 weeks after I got the battery for me to get the adapter. I still had the original battery, so I could charge that. I was close to ordering this, and just swapping the end of the juiced charger with the XLR part.

Went a little crazy with stickers. I like them though. :)

List of upgrades:
C9 Seat (This thing is great for larger people like myself!)
LBS suspension seat post
Wahoo Elmnt Bolt w/ HR Monitor
Orp w/ Remote
Roam Cell phone holder
Rear-view mirror (Left)
Kolo? rack bag
Butt-ton of stickers (for speed of course!)

Attachments

• Bike Stickers (2018) (1 of 21).jpg
    Bike Stickers (2018) (1 of 21).jpg
    978.2 KB · Views: 569
  • Bike Stickers (2018) (2 of 21).jpg
    Bike Stickers (2018) (2 of 21).jpg
    993.6 KB · Views: 556
  • Bike Stickers (2018) (3 of 21).jpg
    Bike Stickers (2018) (3 of 21).jpg
    1,003.2 KB · Views: 523
  • Bike Stickers (2018) (1 of 21).jpg
    Bike Stickers (2018) (1 of 21).jpg
    978.2 KB · Views: 541
  • Bike Stickers (2018) (2 of 21).jpg
    Bike Stickers (2018) (2 of 21).jpg
    993.6 KB · Views: 514
  • Bike Stickers (2018) (3 of 21).jpg
    Bike Stickers (2018) (3 of 21).jpg
    1,003.2 KB · Views: 528
  • Bike Stickers (2018) (4 of 21).jpg
    Bike Stickers (2018) (4 of 21).jpg
    959.6 KB · Views: 529
  • Bike Stickers (2018) (6 of 21).jpg
    Bike Stickers (2018) (6 of 21).jpg
    1,014 KB · Views: 478
  • Bike Stickers (2018) (7 of 21).jpg
    Bike Stickers (2018) (7 of 21).jpg
    923.6 KB · Views: 510
  • Bike Stickers (2018) (8 of 21).jpg
    Bike Stickers (2018) (8 of 21).jpg
    824.5 KB · Views: 485
  • Bike Stickers (2018) (10 of 21).jpg
    Bike Stickers (2018) (10 of 21).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 505
  • Bike Stickers (2018) (9 of 21).jpg
    Bike Stickers (2018) (9 of 21).jpg
    871.1 KB · Views: 497
  • Bike Stickers (2018) (11 of 21).jpg
    Bike Stickers (2018) (11 of 21).jpg
    1 MB · Views: 534
  • Bike Stickers (2018) (13 of 21).jpg
    Bike Stickers (2018) (13 of 21).jpg
    1 MB · Views: 543
  • Bike Stickers (2018) (15 of 21).jpg
    Bike Stickers (2018) (15 of 21).jpg
    1 MB · Views: 513
  • Bike Stickers (2018) (16 of 21).jpg
    Bike Stickers (2018) (16 of 21).jpg
    962.6 KB · Views: 533
  • Bike Stickers (2018) (17 of 21).jpg
    Bike Stickers (2018) (17 of 21).jpg
    1,006.4 KB · Views: 506
  • Bike Stickers (2018) (18 of 21).jpg
    Bike Stickers (2018) (18 of 21).jpg
    819.6 KB · Views: 471
  • Bike Stickers (2018) (20 of 21).jpg
    Bike Stickers (2018) (20 of 21).jpg
    882.3 KB · Views: 471
I'm prepared for my upgraded battery pack to not include the adapter when my CCS arrives. Which adapter would I need for the standard charger? http://www.ebikes.ca/shop/electric-bicycle-parts/connectors.html

I see on the Juicedbikes' site that the adapter is also sold out. I was going to say just order that one for $19 before the bike comes (took less than a week to get my part after support gave the word to the warehouse to ship) in but I guess that is a no go. I tried looking for a suitable part waiting on mine but could not find anything that would fit or that I trust, hence, making my own (post #6). Maybe someone else here knows?

Back