My Hydra

RedChevy79

Region
USA
My bike landed on Monday. I've been so busy riding it I haven't had time to post. 🤣 This is the bike that came up with immediate availability, I have been looking at ebikes in general for over a year. I have specifically been looking at the Hydra for a couple months. When this came up, with no wait time I had to take advantage of it. I'm so happy with my decision!
A little background, I used to ride MTB in my teens and early 20's but now at 47 I had not been on a bike at all in over 20 years. I'm also quite out of shape (Round is a shape right?) and I knew if I was going to get back into riding I would need some help, especially for the hills and heading into the wind. I decided on an eBike, but after many hours of research I knew I wanted something good. I looked at the cheap china made models, and though they would work short term, it just didn't sit right to still spend a sizeable amount of money for something that wouldn't last. Begrudgingly I pushed my budget up to be around the $5k mark, and that's when I stumbled on Wattwagons. I would say for sure, it is far and away the best value in this market. I have a friend who works at the LBS and they sell Specialized primarily. He couldn't believe what I payed for my bike. He said a Specialized that comes close would be over $10k.
So the FedEx tracking said the bike would be delivered on Monday, so I took the day off so I would be there to sign for it. Well of course it didn't show up till after 5 in the afternoon... (patience is not one of my virtues) Once I drug it up the stairs into my second floor apartment. I ripped open the box and set to getting it set up. It took a couple hours cause it was about 100 degrees and I had to make a run to the store since I didn't have an air pump with a Presta air chuck, or an 8mm hex. I finally got it done just before dark. (I'm now very glad I ordered on awesome headlight NightCore BR35) I bought it down stairs, put my helmet on and just started pedaling around the neighborhood. I didn't even turn the assist on at first, I wanted to get a feel of being on the bike before going too fast. I felt a little like Bambi the first time he tried to walk. lol. The bike was a pleasure to ride, everything just felt right! Now on to the moment of true joy, I stopped and turned the PAS on (ECO lvl 1 mind you) and I couldn't believe the power that it had. I actually let out a giggle after taking off faster than I ever would be able to unassisted.
So far I have put about 50 miles on it, and I am loving every second of it. I am going to be riding it to work any day that it is not raining (About 10 miles one way with a very high bridge in between) It's amazing if I had a non assist bike I would likely die just getting to the top of the bridge, but with the 2300 watt Bafang I climbed it at around 15 MPH and never lifted off the seat. Also on town roads speed limits around 30, I have fun keeping up with the cars.

TL:DR I got a new Hydra, and I love it!

Attachments

• Hydra.jpg
    Hydra.jpg
    522.7 KB · Views: 336
RedChevy can tell you but I believe his was a bike made up at WW's and ready to ship to someone that wanted it Xair. So wait time/ship time would be about the same as for a Travelanch (sp) that they have made up and waiting for a new home.

My bike landed on Monday. I've been so busy riding it I haven't had time to post. 🤣 This is the bike that came up with immediate availability, I have been looking at ebikes in general for over a year. I have specifically been looking at the Hydra for a couple months. When this came up, with no wait time I had to take advantage of it. I'm so happy with my decision!
A little background, I used to ride MTB in my teens and early 20's but now at 47 I had not been on a bike at all in over 20 years. I'm also quite out of shape (Round is a shape right?) and I knew if I was going to get back into riding I would need some help, especially for the hills and heading into the wind. I decided on an eBike, but after many hours of research I knew I wanted something good. I looked at the cheap china made models, and though they would work short term, it just didn't sit right to still spend a sizeable amount of money for something that wouldn't last. Begrudgingly I pushed my budget up to be around the $5k mark, and that's when I stumbled on Wattwagons. I would say for sure, it is far and away the best value in this market. I have a friend who works at the LBS and they sell Specialized primarily. He couldn't believe what I payed for my bike. He said a Specialized that comes close would be over $10k.
So the FedEx tracking said the bike would be delivered on Monday, so I took the day off so I would be there to sign for it. Well of course it didn't show up till after 5 in the afternoon... (patience is not one of my virtues) Once I drug it up the stairs into my second floor apartment. I ripped open the box and set to getting it set up. It took a couple hours cause it was about 100 degrees and I had to make a run to the store since I didn't have an air pump with a Presta air chuck, or an 8mm hex. I finally got it done just before dark. (I'm now very glad I ordered on awesome headlight NightCore BR35) I bought it down stairs, put my helmet on and just started pedaling around the neighborhood. I didn't even turn the assist on at first, I wanted to get a feel of being on the bike before going too fast. I felt a little like Bambi the first time he tried to walk. lol. The bike was a pleasure to ride, everything just felt right! Now on to the moment of true joy, I stopped and turned the PAS on (ECO lvl 1 mind you) and I couldn't believe the power that it had. I actually let out a giggle after taking off faster than I ever would be able to unassisted.
So far I have put about 50 miles on it, and I am loving every second of it. I am going to be riding it to work any day that it is not raining (About 10 miles one way with a very high bridge in between) It's amazing if I had a non assist bike I would likely die just getting to the top of the bridge, but with the 2300 watt Bafang I climbed it at around 15 MPH and never lifted off the seat. Also on town roads speed limits around 30, I have fun keeping up with the cars.

Your raw enthusiasm for enjoying the Hydra riding experience is what I anticipate feeling RedChevy79. I'm going out riding soon with a Sondors MXS mountain bike that I ordered primarily because it's what I could get with only a wait for shipping and processing time - 7 to 10 days. What I really want is the smooth gracefulness of the Hydra.

When you're resting up from riding sometime please do tell us more about what it feels like to ride your Hydra.

RedChevy can tell you but I believe his was a bike made up at WW's and ready to ship to someone that wanted it Xair. So wait time/ship time would be about the same as for a Travelanch (sp) that they have made up and waiting for a new home.
Yes, I think you're right. I almost took it, except it's a medium. Great looking bike!

I was able to hit some actual beginner/intermediate trails with the Hydra. It's so amazing how this thing goes through anything. The steep hill climbs are a total breeze. Most times you don't even have to get up off the seat. Even at PAS 1, in first gear it will climb a tree if you have the ability. Right now it feels like I am holding the bike back. I have realized that I don't particularly enjoy riding on streets and bike paths. It's fun cause you can totally keep up with cars, but that is not what this bike is designed for. Unfortunately, I don't have a rack for my vehicle, so I need to commute to the trail and then ride. This has made for some VERY long rides. Nice thing, a couple of days ago I was shot from the ride, and on the way home I just used the throttle and let the bike ride me home. not something that I would typically do, but it's nice to have the option. The one thing I'm getting used to is anticipating my gear shifts, I don't like shifting under load if I can help it. This thing has so much power and I worry about destroying my drivetrain. The chain will totally skip teeth, especially in the 11 or 12 tooth cog. I can't wait for my "bike legs" to come back so I can really test the bike. I'm not sure I'll get back to the riding of my younger years, I'm more cautious now and being old I break easier. lol One things for sure, this bike will serve my needs now and well into the future. It's far and away more bike than I will ever need but it really is an amazing machine, and a pleasure to ride!
I think it's been covered, but I believe the bike was spec'd out for someone that didn't go through with their purchase. When it came up, I mulled it over cause it wasn't exactly how I would have spec'd it if I had the option. But it was close enough that the immediate availability trumped everything else. I live in Northern Wisconsin, so even waiting 90 days on a Hydra black would have put me out of the riding season for this year. I have 0 regrets and I am having so much fun that I don't even think about the bike I would have ordered. I wasn't sure about the color initially, but I really do like it alot. I was worried that "Teal" would look like those cheesy 90's Pontiacs, but it is much darker than that, and the matte finish is really different. I may come up with a vinyl wrap for it that works with the color to change the look a little. I have a million ideas of potential upgrades, but for now I'm just going to ride it and enjoy what it is.

Fantastic to hear your personal experience of the bikes performance and what it makes available to you RedChevy.

I was thinking similarly to you when I saw there were bikes ready to ship. If it would have been a large I would have overlooked that it wasn't set up exactly as I think I want. One thing I have arrived at is that I'll always want a 2nd bike I love as back up.

Similar to you I prefer to ride away from cars. The trails and fire roads we go on are most of the time under trees. As we ride I hear the sticks kick up and tink at the spokes. I'm thinking even if nothing else goes wrong a bigger stick in the spokes could put a bike down for a bit with parts ordering. (My wife's name brand bike looks like it will be down 2.5 months before finally fixed.)

And when it comes to upgrades WW and the Hydra are all about being ready for that.

I was able to hit some actual beginner/intermediate trails with the Hydra. It's so amazing how this thing goes through anything. The steep hill climbs are a total breeze. Most times you don't even have to get up off the seat. Even at PAS 1, in first gear it will climb a tree if you have the ability. Right now it feels like I am holding the bike back. I have realized that I don't particularly enjoy riding on streets and bike paths. It's fun cause you can totally keep up with cars, but that is not what this bike is designed for. Unfortunately, I don't have a rack for my vehicle, so I need to commute to the trail and then ride. This has made for some VERY long rides. Nice thing, a couple of days ago I was shot from the ride, and on the way home I just used the throttle and let the bike ride me home. not something that I would typically do, but it's nice to have the option. The one thing I'm getting used to is anticipating my gear shifts, I don't like shifting under load if I can help it. This thing has so much power and I worry about destroying my drivetrain. The chain will totally skip teeth, especially in the 11 or 12 tooth cog. I can't wait for my "bike legs" to come back so I can really test the bike. I'm not sure I'll get back to the riding of my younger years, I'm more cautious now and being old I break easier. lol One things for sure, this bike will serve my needs now and well into the future. It's far and away more bike than I will ever need but it really is an amazing machine, and a pleasure to ride!
I think it's been covered, but I believe the bike was spec'd out for someone that didn't go through with their purchase. When it came up, I mulled it over cause it wasn't exactly how I would have spec'd it if I had the option. But it was close enough that the immediate availability trumped everything else. I live in Northern Wisconsin, so even waiting 90 days on a Hydra black would have put me out of the riding season for this year. I have 0 regrets and I am having so much fun that I don't even think about the bike I would have ordered. I wasn't sure about the color initially, but I really do like it alot. I was worried that "Teal" would look like those cheesy 90's Pontiacs, but it is much darker than that, and the matte finish is really different. I may come up with a vinyl wrap for it that works with the color to change the look a little. I have a million ideas of potential upgrades, but for now I'm just going to ride it and enjoy what it is.
Try to remember to 'spin' while peddling as much as you can. I seldom use any but the 4 or 5 middle gears. Not in this to go fast and the type of riding requiring the tall gears is not my thing either. Too each his own. This motor will do it ALL for you ... but it will also wear out if not wreck your drive train in short order. 👍

Does "spin" refer to turning the crank set at a faster rpm Reed?
Well it's relative of course but generally yes. Here's the whole story:

Nice move. Looks and sounds awesome.
Really like to know your bike's specs.
The chain drive limits out around thirty? Have you set the controller? Did you need to?
Fn'F

Back