My Fat Bike Spreadsheet - please comment, advise, help, be critical :-)

step-thru
Absolutely the best move I made. We're older and retired too. I've been riding for 60 years and find 2.125, 2.25, and 2.5 tires are great. FOR ME
Spending $100 for a good tire just isn't my cuppa.

45Nrth Vanhelga 120TPI 26" Fat Bike Tire
45Nrth Vanhelga 120TPI 26 Fat Bike Tire

$126.00
Earn $6.30 store credit
Maxxis Minion FBR EXO/TR 27.5" Fat Bike Tire
Maxxis Minion FBR EXO/TR 27.5 Fat Bike Tire

MSRP: $133.00
Our Price $120.00
Total Savings: $13.00 (9%)

Earn $6.00 store credit
Maxxis Minion FBF EXO/TR 27.5" Fat Bike Tire
Maxxis Minion FBF EXO/TR 27.5 Fat Bike Tire

MSRP: $133.00
Our Price $120.00
Total Savings: $13.00 (9%)

Earn $6.00 store credit
45Nrth Wrathchild 26 Inch Studded Fat Bike Tire
45Nrth Wrathchild 26 Inch Studded Fat Bike Tire

$262.50

Earn $13.12 store credit

45Nrth Vanhelga 60TPI 27.5" Tan Wall Fat Bike Tire
45Nrth Vanhelga 60TPI 27.5 Tan Wall Fat Bike Tire

$126.00
Earn $7.56 store credit
Maxxis Minion FBR EXO/TR 26" Fat Bike Tire
Maxxis Minion FBR EXO/TR 26 Fat Bike Tire

MSRP: $125.00
Our Price $115.00
Total Savings: $10.00 (8%)

Earn $8.05 store credit
45Nrth Dillinger 5 Studded 120 TPI 26" Fat Bike Tire
45Nrth Dillinger 5 Studded 120 TPI 26 Fat Bike Tire

$241.50

Earn $19.32 store credit
45Nrth Dillinger 4 Studded 27.5" 60TPI Fat Bike Tire
45Nrth Dillinger 4 Studded 27.5 60TPI Fat Bike Tire

$168.00
Earn $11.76 store credit

45Nrth Wrathchild 27.5 x 3.0" Studded Tire
45Nrth Wrathchild 27.5 x 3.0 Studded Tire

$184.00-$210.00

Earn $11.04 store credit
45Nrth Dillinger 5 Studded 60 TPI 26" Fat Bike Tire
45Nrth Dillinger 5 Studded 60 TPI 26 Fat Bike Tire

$168.00

Earn $13.44 store credit
45Nrth Dillinger 4 Studded 120 TPI Fat Bike Tire
45Nrth Dillinger 4 Studded 120 TPI Fat Bike Tire

$220.50

Earn $13.23 store credit
45Nrth Dillinger 5 Studded 60 TPI 26" Fat Bike Tire (Tan)
45Nrth Dillinger 5 Studded 60 TPI 26 Fat Bike Tire (Tan)

$241.50
Earn $16.90 store credit

45Nrth Dunderbeist Tubeless Fat Bike Tire
45Nrth Dunderbeist Tubeless Fat Bike Tire

MSRP: $115.50
Our Price $115.50
Total Savings: $0.00 (0%)

Earn $9.24 store credit
45Nrth Dillinger 4 Custom Studdable 26" Fat Bike Tire
45Nrth Dillinger 4 Custom Studdable 26 Fat Bike Tire

$126.00

Earn $7.56 store credit
45Nrth Flowbeist Tubeless Fat Bike Tire
45Nrth Flowbeist Tubeless Fat Bike Tire

MSRP: $115.50
Our Price $115.50
Total Savings: $0.00 (0%)

Earn $9.24 store credit
45Nrth Wrathlorde 26" Studded Fat Bike Tire
45Nrth Wrathlorde 26 Studded Fat Bike Tire

$262.50

Earn $21.00 store credit

45Nrth Dillinger 5 Custom Studdable 27.5" Fat Bike Tire
45Nrth Dillinger 5 Custom Studdable 27.5 Fat Bike Tire

$126.00

Earn $8.82 store credit
45Nrth Dillinger 5 Custom Studdable 26" Fat Bike Tire
45Nrth Dillinger 5 Custom Studdable 26 Fat Bike Tire

$126.00
45Nrth Dillinger 4 Studded 60 TPI Fat Bike Tire
45Nrth Dillinger 4 Studded 60 TPI Fat Bike Tire

If you don't plan to go more than 20 miles or so RT and don't have any long hills to climb, then a hub drive fat tire bike might work for you. Do be aware though that availability is still an issue. And as one other here has said, small wheels, like 20", fat tires and ruts or mud are a difficult combination, so keep an eye on trial periods, so you can buy, try, and then get some of your money back if it doesn't work out.
We haven't really been looking at 20" bikes just because they remind me of monkeys riding bikes at the circus when I was little (yes I'm old....)
We don't mind pedaling, I was hoping a 750w hub motor with me pedaling would go up moderate hills ok?

It's frustrating living in a small town - lot's of people say "just go test ride a bunch..." but that's not a reality for me.

i had 2200 miles on my rad rover before i changed tires and they were probably fine to go further i just wanted different ones.. this is not something i would be worried about
that is way down the line time wise

believe me the 20 inch fats are not small bikes, they are big

remember that is actually a 24 inch tire
a 26 is actually a 29 or 30

have a friend i bought ebikes for, he has a huge ranch with some crazy hills and they have done totally fine with 750 watt geared hub motors and they always have kids on the back of the bike and are usually dragging trailers with kids or supplies too

i think you will be fine

We haven't really been looking at 20" bikes just because they remind me of monkeys riding bikes at the circus when I was little (yes I'm old....)
We don't mind pedaling, I was hoping a 750w hub motor with me pedaling would go up moderate hills ok?

It's frustrating living in a small town - lot's of people say "just go test ride a bunch..." but that's not a reality for me.
Unfortunately, "wattage" is mostly a marketing gimmick. Is it peak? Sustained? How long before over-heating if it's hub? We just don't know.
That's why I suggest paying attention to return policies.
Small town? Yea, I'm over an hour from the nearest ebike store, and they had few choices last spring. Plus how much do you learn in a parking lot ride. But they offered 30 day refund, which led to two sales.

i had 2200 miles on my rad rover before i changed tires and they were probably fine to go further i just wanted different ones.. this is not something i would be worried about
that is way down the line time wise
How do you find your Rad Rover? It didn't score big on numbers for me only BUT I appreciate numbers can't/don't tell the whole story.

Unfortunately, "wattage" is mostly a marketing gimmick. Is it peak? Sustained? How long before over-heating if it's hub? We just don't know.
That's why I suggest paying attention to return policies.
Small town? Yea, I'm over an hour from the nearest ebike store, and they had few choices last spring. Plus how much do you learn in a parking lot ride. But they offered 30 day refund, which led to two sales.
Good tip thankyou.

this was a first gen rad rover, my first fat

put 2200-2500? miles on it and rode it all over AZ for a few years, sold it to a friend and he loves it
pas was pretty lousy but at that time most of them were
it never gave me any problems
also had a radmini years ago and it was fine too

the newer ones are nicer and i did have a friend get the radrunner plus recently, the pas seemed controlled on it , guessing the rover is the same
rad products are probably a good bet to find someone near you to test ride, there are a lot of them out there

none of these bikes are super nice but i have been lucky and rarely had any problems with mine

you could spend more money and go to biktrix or something like that

did you see that new luna folder fat? check it

I cross 80 hills in 30 miles with my hub motor. Rollers, total rise 200'. I carry 20 lb tools water supplies, up to 80 lb groceries, total weight bike+tools+bags+me 330 lb. I use 2.1" knobby tires that handle pavement, gravel & mud in construction sites, grass & ruts on my driveway, 30" tall Johnston grass on my summer property when I'm persueing a hunter, snow & puddles on the way to the grocery. I walk the bike on steel plates with mud on them. My stretch frame puts my weight on the front tire, the groceries+tools+supplies on the back tire. Means I haven't pitched over the handlebars since I bought this bike. Tires last ~2000 miles and cost $26.
Only reason to buy a mid-drive IMHO is to climb mountains or get torque sensing. OR CA WA states have mountains, but doesn't sound as if you are going to climb them on the bikes. Save $1500-2000 & a lot of chain maintenance by not buying a mid drive. Also $1000 up for patented bosch or shimano batteries if one is stolen. The surface rook I posted was a drop frame, the xtracycle R4 was a mid step. If you are not going to exceed a 330 lb gross Blix Packa has a hub motor, 24"x2.4" tires, $2000. Cadence sensor. 3 complaints on brand forum last time I looked. Blix doesn't say how much rider it can take but they do say it can carry 200 lb cargo. https://blixbike.com/products/packa-electric-cargo-bike

Last edited:
David
Very nice Xl file.
But you left out several items that should be included, such as,
Head and tail lights > step over heights > frame sizes > motor types/style.

You can also condense this file width/length by using "Wrap around" in the formatting section, and then you can reduce the column widths to just fit your information headers,
reduce the height of the info blocks, which allow for more information to be shown
per screen width/space etc. XL is easy to use.............
HTH's
Don

David
Very nice Xl file.
But you left out several items that should be included, such as,
Head and tail lights > step over heights > frame sizes > motor types/style.

You can also condense this file width/length by using "Wrap around" in the formatting section, and then you can reduce the column widths to just fit your information headers,
reduce the height of the info blocks, which allow for more information to be shown
per screen width/space etc. XL is easy to use.............
HTH's
Don
Thank you for the tips! 👍👍

I cross 80 hills in 30 miles with my hub motor. Rollers, total rise 200'. I carry 20 lb tools water supplies, up to 80 lb groceries, total weight bike+tools+bags+me 330 lb. I use 2.1" knobby tires that handle pavement, gravel & mud in construction sites, grass & ruts on my driveway, 30" tall Johnston grass on my summer property when I'm persueing a hunter, snow & puddles on the way to the grocery. I walk the bike on steel plates with mud on them. My stretch frame puts my weight on the front tire, the groceries+tools+supplies on the back tire. Means I haven't pitched over the handlebars since I bought this bike. Tires last ~2000 miles and cost $26.
Only reason to buy a mid-drive IMHO is to climb mountains or get torque sensing. OR CA WA states have mountains, but doesn't sound as if you are going to climb them on the bikes. Save $1500-2000 & a lot of chain maintenance by not buying a mid drive. Also $1000 up for patented bosch or shimano batteries if one is stolen. The surface rook I posted was a drop frame, the xtracycle R4 was a mid step. If you are not going to exceed a 330 lb gross Blix Packa has a hub motor, 24"x2.4" tires, $2000. Cadence sensor. 3 complaints on brand forum last time I looked. Blix doesn't say how much rider it can take but they do say it can carry 200 lb cargo. https://blixbike.com/products/packa-electric-cargo-bike
Yes, 200' of climb means these hills aren't too big, and leave plenty of time for the hub motor to cool off. Where I live is a bit different. My shortest loop ride from my house is about 8 miles and involves about 600 feet of climbing, including some 18% grades. Most hub motors would give up the ghost in the first mile which is 300' of climbing in a short stretch.
Chain maintenance? Nothing in 1000 miles so far...
Battery theft? Many of the bikes, like mine, lock the battery into the frame. You're much more likely to have the whole bike stolen!

I only like to ride fat bikes I just find them solid to ride, I have like quad suspension full suspension bike a suspension seatpost a suspension redshift stem plus I have the big tyres for bad terrain I can ride all day on this thing in pas2 on flat I get about 40-50 miles on 17ah battery so I've ordered the 25ah battery from @Jenny Mao , that will have samsung cells so the range should be excellent, I ride roads, trails and canal tow paths and then wonder off into any woods or country side ,I just like the big bike feel I run higher psi because I have all that suspension is so comfortable, I love fatties so did my partner so I have to ride my electric unicycle that thing goes 90 miles on one charge,, just buy one lol

Attachments

• 20220414_120748.jpg
    20220414_120748.jpg
    834.5 KB · Views: 176
  • 20220411_124850.jpg
    20220411_124850.jpg
    874.5 KB · Views: 154
  • 20220413_155800.jpg
    20220413_155800.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 147
  • 20220325_181511.jpg
    20220325_181511.jpg
    834.8 KB · Views: 148
I only like to ride fat bikes I just find them solid to ride, I have like quad suspension full suspension bike a suspension seatpost a suspension redshift stem plus I have the big tyres for bad terrain I can ride all day on this thing in pas2 on flat I get about 40-50 miles on 17ah battery so I've ordered the 25ah battery from @Jenny Mao , that will have samsung cells so the range should be excellent, I ride roads, trails and canal tow paths and then wonder off into any woods or country side ,I just like the big bike feel I run higher psi because I have all that suspension is so comfortable, I love fatties so did my partner so I have to ride my electric unicycle that thing goes 90 miles on one charge,, just buy one lol
Thanks for the reply 👍

Back