My battery died of heatstroke 😥😭

There is a thread on EBR which discusses when there are no options left. I pulled this text from the thread. It seems the user was able to give his battery a second life. Here is the text describing what he did.

‘ replied to your other post as well. Battery replacements are nowhere to be found. After 8000 miles about 500 cycles my battery was not holding anything close to a full charge so I had nothing to lose by opening it up and taking a look inside. It so happens that the circuit board is very clearly marked where the + and - terminals are. I soldered a length of 14G wire on them and ran the wire along the bottom of the battery case through a small cut out near the power switch, ending in an XT60 connector. With this arrangement I am able to run another 36v battery in parrallel. I bought a 36v17.5aH on Amazon for about $400 and drilled mounting holes along the down tube (bottom facing) where the new battery sits low center of gravity. Now I have 17.5aH on the aux batt and another 10ah (guessing - original was 14aH, but it has lost at least 30% of its capacity) which gives me a range somewhere near 80 miles using 50% turbo.
When your bike is out of warranty to opens up a world of possibilities!’

FTH Power says they cannot refurbish this battery. Numerous bike retailers on the list said they do not/cannot work with BH. One retailer is going to try to contact them again, which is very nice of him. Said they had become very difficult to work with. As in, sending the wrong parts and refusing to take them back/refund.

I did a search in Spanish for BH batteries, which turned up the fact that one can buy replacement BH batteries in Spain for $/€949. Then there would be shipping. Somebody else in Madrid has a refurb for like $/€349. Stupid thing is that we are going to Spain, but can't bring it back on the plane (and don't want to risk it!)

Then you have to think, OK, how much do I want to invest in my bike? I have $3,200+ in it, and all I have is yard art now. Do I want to add $1200 to it? Will that then make it a $4,400 ebike? Clearly not.

What a bloody WASTE!!!!

FTH Power says they cannot refurbish this battery. Numerous bike retailers on the list said they do not/cannot work with BH. One retailer is going to try to contact them again, which is very nice of him. Said they had become very difficult to work with. As in, sending the wrong parts and refusing to take them back/refund.

I did a search in Spanish for BH batteries, which turned up the fact that one can buy replacement BH batteries in Spain for $/€949. Then there would be shipping. Somebody else in Madrid has a refurb for like $/€349. Stupid thing is that we are going to Spain, but can't bring it back on the plane (and don't want to risk it!)

Then you have to think, OK, how much do I want to invest in my bike? I have $3,200+ in it, and all I have is yard art now. Do I want to add $1200 to it? Will that then make it a $4,400 ebike? Clearly not.

What a bloody WASTE!!!!
Obviously I don't know the whole story as to why BH exited NA, but this result is amazingly frustrating and negative towards the brand. I just don't get how a customer in good stead can be treated this way.
I can only hope you can find a battery replacement/repair. I must say... in your shoes I'd sell it at that point.
UGH!!!
:(

i recently read on another forum, I believe Endless Sphere, that some guy developed a board for Yamaha ebike motors, that enables the use of any 3rd party battery. This board somehow bypasses the handshake that the Yamaha motor and battery require. If he were to develop something like this for the Brose motor, that would be awesome. Many of us with proprietary bikes and components will be in the same predicament. The people who recently bought BH bikes from Crazy Lennys are taking a huge gamble. Right off the bat, there is not a spare battery available for purchase. That’s a recipe for disaster.

What a bloody WASTE!!!!
One way to look at this is that you were going to need a new battery at some point anyway. I certainly get the $950 issue. The euro and the dollar on par now, which helps a little bit. Maybe shipping won't be that expensive -- batteries are shipped routinely all the time. I think it's more about labeling than a lot of extra charges for shipping batteries. And waiting for surface transportation.

You've covered a lot of ground looking for a solution. You might find a better option yet! It really sucks about BH. I know it's no consolation, but I'm sure you aren't alone in getting screwed by them.

TT

Maybe check with this place?

What a bloody WASTE!!!!
Wrong way to look at it! You have a bike worth $0 right now. What would you pay to have that bike working again? $1200? Seems like a good deal to me!

FYI, this is an example of sunk costs. What you paid in the past for your bike is a sunk cost, and not part of the equation now.

Wrong way to look at it! You have a bike worth $0 right now. What would you pay to have that bike working again? $1200? Seems like a good deal to me!

FYI, this is an example of sunk costs. What you paid in the past for your bike is a sunk cost, and not part of the equation now.
Thank you for sorting that out. Always a conundrum, "good money after bad" or "how much is too much?" . I can't even sell it as it is. You're right. It is worth zero as it is. For $1200, I can have a $3,200 ebike again 😃😕...

You might consider selling it for parts. The Brose motor and display are definitely in short supply. Last time I checked eBay there were very few motors and zero displays for sale.

Any good news??

TT
Nope. The retailer in Sacramento who emailed BH has heard nuffink. Nada. Zip. Zilch. Diddly-squat.

Well, wait. A friend who just bought a new ebike has sold me his old Giant Quick-e for a song, for my son. But I'm using it until we go to Europe. In Spain, I'm going to find a BH dealer who will sell me a battery and ship it to me in the US. At least that's my plan at this point.

I still prefer my BH. I prefer the Brose motor, because it is so quiet, so natural feeling. The Yamaha motor on the Quick-e sounds like a sewing machine. It is plenty zippy though, and the bike is 9 pounds lighter. I suppose we all get used to the bike we have, but I really want my BH to work again. 😢

Back