My battery died of heatstroke 😥😭

A friend gave me a little gift today. It is a button that you plug into a battery's charge port and it displays the voltage. He also showed me his new air tag. It came hidden inside a bike bell. No one would ever find it.
Speaking of stirring the pot: https://www.ktvu.com/video/1054849

Isn't the bell acting as the Faraday Cage?
Could be. Partially off topic, I have been working on a 'contraption' today. It still needs a battery connector soldered in and an e-chain fitted. This bike, not serial number, won the tour twice in the '70's. The battery is external with a universal connector, so the owner will not be stuck with obsolete proprietary, planned obsolescence in five-years. Any common external battery with high-end cells and premium BMS will do when this battery has given its service. The firmware is all open source with the Right to Repair. It has a small ring upfront for big spinning climbs up Mt. Tam.
1659318540059.jpeg
1659318626726.jpeg
1659318683283.jpeg
1659318764589.jpeg

Attachments

• Brian'sTour1.JPG
    Brian'sTour1.JPG
    359.1 KB · Views: 137
BH responded to my email with a list of retailers who still work with them, which I am attaching here, and through which I can order a new battery from BH. Fortunately there is one in Seattle. I'm going into Seattle today and will stop in and see what they say.

Attachments

• tiendas estados unidos (1).txt
    1.6 KB · Views: 145
Well, that sucks. I walked into the Seattle bike shop on the list, and he said, "I've TOLD Bh to take us off that list. We DON'T work with them anymore. Last time we ordered parts from them it took three months and there were customs and all kinds of problems." He suggested HiC in Colorado, too, so that is my next step tomorrow. Stay tuned, folks....

Well, that sucks. I walked into the Seattle bike shop on the list, and he said, "I've TOLD Bh to take us off that list. We DON'T work with them anymore. Last time we ordered parts from them it took three months and there were customs and all kinds of problems." He suggested HiC in Colorado, too, so that is my next step tomorrow. Stay tuned, folks....

No! I love my ebike! There's nothing wrong with it but a fried battery. A victim of climate change, could have happened to a Vado, too. If lithium batteries weren't such volatile things, it would be a lot easier to buy/replace/ship them.

I am NOT happy with the fact that I bought it with a five year warranty that turned into a zero year warranty, but this wouldn't have been covered anyway, because this was my fault (and the cumulative fault of all of humanity and its cumulative pollution...) I may just stop in to BH headquarters in Vitoria, Spain in October when we are there, and give them a piece of my mind on that issue. 😡

Well, that is one reason why I love my bike: it didn't need any servicing! As I have said elsewhere on the forums, I never bought a bike before that had a warranty anyway, so it's not like I missed it. But not being able to get parts is crap. And I do not want to consign my perfectly good (dare I say wonderful) ebike to the landfill before its time.

It is the breaking of the deal that is the bad business practice to which I object. If they wanted to exit the North American market, that is their choice, but they still needed to honor their commitments to their customers, to the obligations they undertook when they said there would be support. Otherwise, they are just producing proprietary stuff with guaranteed unnecessary obsolescence.

I had many issues with electronics on my City almost always ran just not right

I forgot my bike out in the sun yesterday. Luna battery is 4 years old, fine. My battery is wrapped in the white half inch foam Luna packed it in when they shipped it: inside the aluminum frame & plastic rain bag I built. Buy a $$$$ reputablel bike, get ****. I built my own battery mount, which is not as attractive as the ones on $$$$ bikes. But it works better.
I do remove the battery & store it under a heating pad in winter, which can get down to 6 F here.

I would talk to Patrick at Hi-C. He specializes in this sort of thing, although I don't know if he can work with this particular battery type.

BTW this is why I use a temperature sensor on my batteries. And I keep the batteries indoors (or the whole bike) in the summer. I think we've had all but one day over 100 degrees for almost the last month. My packs don't have heat-sensitive fuses on them. But heat damages 18650 and 21700 cells. So I don't want to be decreasing pack life by oven-roasting them.

Last edited:
The 48V that came in yesterday because it was not charging was not heat damaged. The guy was using a 36V charger! I was diplomatic about it. It rained here yesterday, that is weird for this time of year in N. California. Today will be about 30 degrees F higher than normal, also weird. Weird is the new normal. Maybe it is just me but I wouldn't ride a bike with packing foam. Unless I had a paper bag over my head.

The 48V that came in yesterday because it was not charging was not heat damaged. The guy was using a 36V charger! I was diplomatic about it. It rained here yesterday, that is weird for this time of year in N. California. Today will be about 30 degrees F higher than normal, also weird. Weird is the new normal. Maybe it is just me but I wouldn't ride a bike with packing foam. Unless I had a paper bag over my head.
The joys of customer service.

Well, that is one reason why I love my bike: it didn't need any servicing! As I have said elsewhere on the forums, I never bought a bike before that had a warranty anyway, so it's not like I missed it. But not being able to get parts is crap. And I do not want to consign my perfectly good (dare I say wonderful) ebike to the landfill before its time.

It is the breaking of the deal that is the bad business practice to which I object. If they wanted to exit the North American market, that is their choice, but they still needed to honor their commitments to their customers, to the obligations they undertook when they said there would be support. Otherwise, they are just producing proprietary stuff with guaranteed unnecessary obsolescence.
And this issue is not resolved through the court? Maybe there will also be compensation for moral damages :) And if there will be a group action, the company may change its mind to repudiate its obligations.

And this issue is not resolved through the court? Maybe there will also be compensation for moral damages :) And if there will be a group action, the company may change its mind to repudiate its obligations.
international claims are difficult at best.

Back