Must carry tools etc when out riding

Deeps

I'm not sure whether or not there is an existing thread on this matter although I can't find one by searching. Anyway, if there is I'm sure that someone will point me the way.

My last few rides have been in some pretty remote places resulting in a long walk back in the event of simple breakdown especially one that was easily repairable if the right
kit was on hand e.g. a simple puncture. Now without going into elaborate details of how repairs would be carried out which has already been covered, I wonder if members
would actually contribute to this thread by stating what 'breakdown kit' they ALWAYS have in their backpacks/rucksack or saddle bag. I'll start the ball rolling:

(a) Spare inner tube and tyre levers.
(b) Patch kit with associated adhesive etc that can be purchased in a small kit form.
(c) Multifunctions tool such as that sold by Topeak.
(d) Two pairs of one-use gloves.
(e) Spare valve core.
(f) Spare chain previously cut to length in addition to spare missing link.
(g) 2 x 16g CO2 cartridges + valve adapter.
(h) Small manual pump to top up after CO2 cartridge use if necessary.
(i) Spare rear wheel spoke magnetic sensor. Costs cents but if lost/knocked off etc the Bosch motor won't function.
(j) Cable ties
(k) Spare brake pads (not absolutely essential imho but why not if you've got empty space in the bag as they weight nothing and are small.

Last edited:
I'm not sure whether or not there is an existing thread on this matter although I can't find one by searching. Anyway, if there is I'm sure that someone will point me the way.

My last few rides have been in some pretty remote places resulting in a long walk back in the event of simple breakdown especially one that was easily repairable if the right
kit was on hand e.g. a simple puncture. Now without going into elaborate details of how repairs would be carried out which has already been covered, I wonder if members
would actually contribute to this thread by stating what 'breakdown kit' they ALWAYS have in their backpacks/rucksack or saddle bag. I'll start the ball rolling:

(b) Patch kit with associated adhesive etc that can be purchased in a small kit form.
(e) Spare valve core.
(i) Spare rear wheel spoke magnetic sensor. Costs cents but if lost/knocked off etc the Bosch motor won't function.
re: (i)
Thanks for bringing that up. On my Specialized Vado the magnet was on the rear disc and I never thought of checking screws before or after rides.
For spare unit you will need the screws as well for this type. Bet Specialized don’t give this away:D

Yes, there have been many threads on this. There is always room for one more. A few extra thoughts:

1. Good point about the magnetic sensor. Although my experience has been that if the screw holding it in place is working loose the sensor falls out of alignment and you will notice long before it actually falls off. I also highly recommend using Loctite or another good thread locker on any critical parts. It would be nice if these sensors were brightly colored rather than black so they would be easier to find.
  2. You don't need both CO2 cartridges and a pump. In general I've found that for me a good pump works better. CO2 is one of those "nice to haves" but not a "need to have".
  3. Similarly, if you are carrying a spare tube you don't need a spare valve core. So this is also a "nice to have" and not "need to have"
  4. I'd bring the missing links but would probably skip the spare chain. Generally I've found that (a) if you properly maintain your chain and drivetrain chain failures are fairly rare, and (b) if you do get in a messy crash and bend your derailleur hanger and chain it is going to take more than a spare chain to get you going again. I have on more than one occasion field-converted a bike with a hopelessly mangled derailleur hanger and chain into a single-speed to get back home.
  5. I heartily recommend these tire levers. They are both tire levers and a missing-link chain tool.
  6. I'd add cable ties, duct tape, and some beefy rubber bands.
  7. I'd also consider adding spare brake pads. I used to carry spare brake/derailleur cables but realized with the introduction of hydraulic brakes and internally routed cables they weren't going to be very helpful for field repairs.
  8. Some alcohol swabs to clean brake rotors.
  9. Make sure that your multi-tool actually has all of the tools you'll need. Nothing is more demoralizing than realizing you need an 11mm wrench to get yourself going again when you don't have one. There are some cool adjustable wrenches out there that aren't as annoying as the old-style ones we all knew and hated.
  10. Spare fibrefix spoke.
  11. If you patch your tubes having a bright yellow or silver sharpie pen to mark a big "+" centered on the hole is helpful.

Last edited:

1. Point taken. As a matter of interest these sensors are usually the colour of stainless steel over here in Europe.

3. There's nothing worse than repairing a flat (not tube replacement), pump up only to find that the valve core pulls out upon removal of the pump. It happens more often than you think especially with those nice and then SV valves which are becoming the norm nowadays.

6/7. Forgot to add those - thanks - my original post has now been edited.

8. Um, I'll have to think about that one.

9/11. Yes, very good points.

3. There's nothing worse than repairing a flat (not tube replacement), pump up only to find that the valve core pulls out upon removal of the pump. It happens more often than you think especially with those nice and then SV valves which are becoming the norm nowadays.

There is a well-known design flaw in Lezyne pumps where they will inadvertently unscrew Presta valves when you remove the pump head. Later versions of Lezyne pumps have an "air bleed" which somewhat mitigates this problem. I've been told that this is another case where Loctite can be helpful as well. Your multi-tool should have a valve core tool so you can tighten the valve cores before inflating, which completely solves this problem in my experience.

The really maddening thing with Presta valves is when the little lock nut falls off. Even if you find it if it is contaminated at all it can be almost impossible to get back on.

In a few minutes I’ll be setting off on my Sunday morning ride, but not until I’ve packed that spare spoke magnet (I have several spares - somewhere!). Thanks, Deeps.

There is a well-known design flaw in Lezyne pumps where they will inadvertently unscrew Presta valves when you remove the pump head. Later versions of Lezyne pumps have an "air bleed" which somewhat mitigates this problem. I've been told that this is another case where Loctite can be helpful as well.

My Lezyne pumps does have the 'bleed' screw although in the accompanying instructions they do recommend applying Loctite to the valve core thread.

(e) Spare valve core.
(j) Cable ties
(k) Spare brake pads (not absolutely essential imho but why not if you've got empty space in the bag as they weight nothing and are small.

I took along a spare spoke magnet last summer. For months on end this part was out of stock everywhere, at least in the US. Around May it was available for about $11 which I jumped on because ... a Cateye doesn’t work.

I thought about a spare Gates belt but decided against it. Really didn’t think I would need it unless experiencing a severe gash due to rocks or similar but also, these belts are apparently sensitive to how they are stored which I didn’t want to fuss with over a long ride.

(e) Spare valve core.
(j) Cable ties

For Bosch peeps: the “clean the contacts” when you can’t click thru levels of assist is such an easy fix when you read about it on a web pages but IRL, it can happen in a very remote location. I speak from experience.

I will add one more. When I purchased a new bike a few months ago, I made the mistake of taking it out for a ride before giving the bike a through checkup. I was 15 miles from home and my left crank arm started wobbling on the spindle, then came off. Obviously, the crank arm bolt was nowhere to be found. I now carry a spare crank arm bolt and the large hex wrench to tighten it. Luckily I was on an ebike and had enough battery to cruise home. Most multi tools don't have a hex wrench that large.

For Bosch peeps: the “clean the contacts” when you can’t click thru levels of assist is such an easy fix when you read about it on a web pages but IRL, it can happen in a very remote location. I speak from experience.

Interesting point which raises the question of what method(s) do members use - those that do of course - when cleaning the pins either those at the hub or those to which the battery connects? In another life (my Avatar gives a clue here) we used to clean electrical contracts using an eraser rubber which was later discouraged as this method slowly but surely removed the top coating from the pins. Another method was later adopted which was using a solvent although I cannot for the life of me recall what type of solvent it was although certainly not something as strong as nail polish remover not that I personally carry said item in my saddle bag. :cool:

Yes, there have been many threads on this. There is always room for one more. A few extra thoughts:

I heartily recommend these tire levers. They are both tire levers and a missing-link chain tool

Thanks for the link on that, awesome idea. Just ordered it

I will add the following:
Stans sealant in the 2 oz bottles.

I have been using stans sealant in my tubes for 12 years and never had a flat till today

It was on a bulls demo ebike (E-CORE Di2 FS 27.5+ loaner/demo while my bike is being fixed). The flat was from the day before and most likely a goatshead (90%+ of what causes me flats).

Put in a 2oz bottle (more would be better for 27.5+ tire), pumped her up and been fine since

I also carry
Spare tube (in seatbag on each bike)
lezyne stainless 20 multitool (in camelback)
lezyne control drive co2 inflator head (in camelback)
2 25G co2 cartridges (in camelback)
patch Kit (in camelback)
master link (in seatbag)
Shockpump (in camelback)

Last edited:
My tool kit is a little different. I carry cash, a credit card, a smart phone w/ an Uber app, and a monthly bus pass. That pretty much covers everything.

The key to this scheme is slime. If you have thorns/goatheads where you live, you really need it. Haven't had a flat in over a year on two bikes since I put the slime in.

Last edited:
Back