Music Junkies?

leehop71

Region
USA
City
Cape Coral
How many folks enjoy music while riding?

I ALWAYS do 2 things AFTER I put my helmet on, and turn the power on.

I fire up my Amazon Music app on my phone with earbuds in place, and set my Apple Watch to monitor ‘Outdoor Cycling’!

I usually ride while listen to music (Shokz bone conductor headphones). My main music source is Spotify. I also have the Amazon music app on my phone, but it tends to stop working on a regular basis, so I seldom use it.
I also us my Apple watch to record my cycling. 👍

I listen to music 14 hours a day if available. Keeps the jingles/earworms out of my head.
Not on the bike. I listen for cars. I can't use a mirror, it makes me seasick. Garmin Varia radar warned me of cars crossing a 4 way stop I passed 2 blocks ago, cars in the left turn lane 4 lanes left from the sidewalk I'm on, trucks on I65 300' to the side through a chain link fence, lawnmowers in yards, corn harvesters in fields. I deleted the display and use it as a taillight.
No smart phone either. I bought one last month. A samsung galaxy a6. The box was labled verizon which works at my summer property. When I charged it, It was really tracfone which doesn't. Back to the verizon flip phone; put a new battery in it.

if I'm e-biking I'm probably listening to my John Denver Jimmy Buffett playlist😎

I have never listened to music when riding. Distractions can get you hurt or killed. Riding is pretty stimulating all by itself.

I have 11689 songs on the sdcard on my phone. I usually ride with it set to random. Sometimes I may have an itch for a certain artist/album and go for that. Still haven't bothered to convert the rest of the flac to mp3 (space on sdcard) yet. Use a Sena M1 evo to listen. Just got the shokz openrun pro to test out so I can get a better helmet that is speed rated for 28mph.

I love my music, podcasts and audio books but riding to and from work are my only chances in the day to cast aside the headphones, unplug (irony not lost) and sit in the moment. Riding a bike is hardly meditative, but I value the singlemindedness nevertheless.

I was waiting for the 'Karens' ( Calhoun & Djangodog) to start whining about never listening to music while they ride. You two just couldn't stop yourselves, could you?

Okay, question for the ones who think listening to music while riding is dangerous, do you listen to your car radio?

Given their earlier posts were met with insult for deigning to offer a difference of opinion, I don't think anyone would begrudge them taking a pass on that backhanded question.

Personally, I think it's a matter for the individual what they stick in their ears on a bike, in a car, in the bedroom, etc.

I've ridden for long periods with and without music. I opt to go without these days when mixing with road traffic. I rely on the sense of hearing as much as sight to warn me when a great big bloody honking bus or semi is hurtling up on my tail. It informs how I ride and how much space I try and put between myself and said vehicle. At the end of the day, riding with traffic is a calculated risk. But I do all I can to work the probability.

We all ride in different conditions, at different stages of life and responsibility, on top of having different appetite for risk. You do you 🤷‍♂️

Yes though. It's programmed in. I've been into car audio for 35 years. I love the challenge of trying to reproduce the concert experience in the car and listening for hours on long drives. Riding works the same way. I've been riding with earbuds or headphones since the first Walkman & it's a great experience.

Been on a Classical bender lately - exploring the depths of what Apple Music has to offer

Even though I do use headphones while biking (varia radar notifications and music). Curiously in Ohio it is illegal to use headphones for biking or driving a car, but NOT illegal on a motorcycle.

Even though I do use headphones while biking (varia radar notifications and music). Curiously in Ohio it is illegal to use headphones for biking or driving a car, but NOT illegal on a motorcycle.
That makes no sense!!

Yup, in 2020, exemption for motorcycles..... Evidently it's a wind noise issue for the motorcycle lobby
Wind noise is definitely an issue on all the bikes. Maybe not if you ride a Gold Wing.

I thought this thread title was Midi Junkies! I love me some Atari Teenage Riot. But on topic, I don't listen to any music while on 2 wheels. To many things trying to kill me when on the road! I need to be totally aware of my surroundings-sight AND sound.

Now I used to be into high end audio but I think I've gotten slightly tone deaf as I get older. If you let me set-up audio you'll get sharp highs, distorted mids and a muddy bottom end. In the cars my wife goes into the EQ settings and sets it up, I'm no longer allowed to touch the advanced controls.

Definitely ride with music but use a small sd card speaker so I can still hear everything around me and I can manipulate it without a phone.
When you need a little motivational "speaker " to pump your legs at top speed!
Then right into and out of that rusty cage!

Last edited:
Back