Multiple BBSHD kit issues

BlueGenes

I recently purchased a BBSHD kit and wolfpack battery (from Luna). I installed them on my Fuji Traverse last weekend.
I road the bike to work today (about 8 miles). It worked great at first, but then problems.
1. The throttle only works sometimes. More than 1/2 the time it doesn't. Whether the bike is moving, and/or I'm pedaling, doesn't seem to be a factor.
2. The pedal assist cuts out frequently. Shifting gears will cause it to reengage about 3/4 of the time. The remaining times (when it wouldn't re-engage) I stopped, walked the bike for a bit, and then it 'magically' came back (only to die again shortly thereafter). I do have a shift sensor and brake cut offs installed.
I have pulled apart and re-attached all the connections. That doesn't seem to help.
I rode to work in a light rain. Could the moisture be a problem? If so, the bike is now junk, as I built it to ride as a daily commuter. I live and work in Oregon. It tends to rain here.
Is this all 'normal' for these kits, or should I simply resign myself to the fact that I have been taken advantage of?

I had similar problems with my BBSHD but that was from using the throttle to try to tow something that it couldn't handle. After that, the motor could cut out now and then.

I remember hearing problems with the BBSHD software; that it can get confused when you throttle and pedal at the same time. So I disconnected the throttle and just used the assist buttons.

After that, I have never had a problem with the motor cutting out. I even recently decided to put back the throttle and everything seems to be working fine over my 45 mile ride. The only difference is that I kept the throttle down to around 1200-1300 watts max. I didn't want to push it.

For now I would disconnect the throttle and see if the bike rides better without it.

I had similar problems with my BBSHD but that was from using the throttle to try to tow something that it couldn't handle. After that, the motor could cut out now and then.

I remember hearing problems with the BBSHD software; that it can get confused when you throttle and pedal at the same time. So I disconnected the throttle and just used the assist buttons.

After that, I have never had a problem with the motor cutting out. I even recently decided to put back the throttle and everything seems to be working fine over my 45 mile ride. The only difference is that I kept the throttle down to around 1200-1300 watts max. I didn't want to push it.

For now I would disconnect the throttle and see if the bike rides better without it.
That's good advice William. Thank you! That will be the first thing I try tonight.
I've been trying to find others with similar issues in various forums. While no one has has had the exact same combination of problems, some were similar. Software issues were the most common culprit. I may even try reprogramming the unit (I have the programming cable, but haven't yet used it.)

Luna has its own forum with lots of troubleshooting threads. electricbike.com/forum

Update: I disconnected the throttle and brake sensors. This has "cured" all the issues I've been having (Thanks William, for the idea!). I'm currently out of town, so I won't be able to do more trouble shooting until I return home.
I can easily live without a throttle (if that's the problem). And from the ride I've thus far taken without the brake sensors, I'm almost certain I can live without those as well. I'm just happy it's not the gear change sensor. I rather like that feature!
I'll eventually get both the throttle and brake sensors sorted out. In the meantime, I'll simply enjoy the BBSHD. It's a big improvement for riding around my city over my rapidly deteriorating Rad City.

Update: I disconnected the throttle and brake sensors. This has "cured" all the issues I've been having (Thanks William, for the idea!). I'm currently out of town, so I won't be able to do more trouble shooting until I return home.
I can easily live without a throttle (if that's the problem). And from the ride I've thus far taken without the brake sensors, I'm almost certain I can live without those as well. I'm just happy it's not the gear change sensor. I rather like that feature!
I'll eventually get both the throttle and brake sensors sorted out. In the meantime, I'll simply enjoy the BBSHD. It's a big improvement for riding around my city over my rapidly deteriorating Rad City.
That sounds like a wiring problem! Bent pins or a damaged harness. Please do get brake cutouts working!

Brake cut outs and gear sensor frequently cause issues that the above poster describes on the Bafang product. I know of two suppliers who will advise to remove them, due to much user frustration with trying to resolve. Not defending that practice, but just saying it happens so often that ends up being the path that is taken. Just pause slightly on pedaling, before shifting and you can accomplish what the gear sensor does.

Brake cut outs and gear sensor frequently cause issues that the above poster describes on the Bafang product. I know of two suppliers who will advise to remove them, due to much user frustration with trying to resolve. Not defending that practice, but just saying it happens so often that ends up being the path that is taken. Just pause slightly on pedaling, before shifting and you can accomplish what the gear sensor does.
Which two would that be Mike? I've been involved in the sales and support of hundreds of BBSxx motors and that is not my experience. Especially not with brake cutouts. I hope you share your source!

Actually a slight back pedal works better than a pause that isn't a consistent shutdown. But that's surprisingly bad advice from an eBike reseller! WOW! The liability for a dealer to suggest eliminating brake cutouts could be disastrous!

Last edited:
So you make a statement declaring it as a supported fact and then ditch any response. I’m sorry fella but that really sucks. And it starts a false narrative. Either stand tall or don’t make unsubstantiated claims.

Back