Multimeter test for possible lights

Andy1865

Region
United Kingdom
City
Skipton
Hi All, with me being a complete and utter novice when it comes to things electrical. I bought myself a multimeter today to test the voltage of a unused thin red and thin black wire both connected a the end to a single white connecter.
Do i insert the red probe into the red wire hole and black probe into the black wire hole, then turn on ebike and then the multimeter or mutlimeter first then ebike?
Your input is valued.
Kind regards.
Andy.

I'm trying to picture this. Does the white wire "loop/short" the red and black wires? Can you please share a picture? Maybe a picture of the controller, as well?

Regarding the red and black "hole" and "probe", is it safe to assume that you are talking about on the multimeter? If so, then yes. Hook up the probes the way you have described.

I found a good source to add lights, is to use the power that feeds the display. There are a 48v + and - that should feed your display. (I'm not sure of what voltage your battery is, so your display voltage could be different). You can tap off that power source for your lights. Your display connector should have 5 wires.

Back