Motor Noise?

Bufatutu

Feel like I'm asking one of the world's dumbest questions. But better to ask than not. Are ebike motors, Shimano in particular, silent or nearly so?

I bought a used eMtn bike in the fall. Only used it a few times before the ice and snow took over here in the mtns. Now had it out in the stunningly warm and beautiful weather we've been having. I am having so much fun and it is the right bike for what I like to do: ride up fairly steep mtn roads, paved, gravel, dirt, and ride some of the beautiful hilly country roads that most folks don't even know about. I love the bike, but its wonderful powerful Shimano e8000 motor is not nearly the "Silent" of the marketing and advertising. Leaving me confused.

Thought I'd ask before driving the bike three hours to the nearest Shimano Service Center. This is the only ebike I've ever been on and there's not many around here, so I don't see ebikers around to ask or compare. Two of the three small LBSs don't want to look at an ebike and the other just isn't that familiar with them but thinks its probably fine. Is it normal to hear whirring noise? It doesn't sound like a "somethings wrong" sound, no clicking or squealing, and the bike seems fine. Is it normal for the Shimano motors to not be "silent"? Thanks.

Last edited:
Check out Court's reviews of the various mid drive motors on the market and I think you would then agree that all motors make some kind of noise when they are doing their thing. He does an excellent job of getting his camera focused on the mid drive, even to the point of picking up motor sounds that I don't hear on my own Yamaha mid drive motor.

Right now, that new Bosch mid drive has to be the most loudest motor ever made, to the point of being obnoxious. If still in doubt, take it to that Shimano Service Center and see what they have to say.

This forum also has a brand specific section that deals with all major bike and motor brands and it's worth a check. Welcome to ebiking; you're gonna love it!

I finally googled. Turns out there's a comparison of the noise levels of 7 of the more powerful ebike/emtn bike motors:
Turns out my Shimano e8000 is just about the noisiest. As noted above, I'm mostly an ebike virgin--tried a few for a few minutes each at dealers--and got my wonderful bike second hand and there are no ebike dealers within a hundred or miles, so its nice to know that the whirling isn't something wrong with either the bike or me. Still I think I'm going to take the bike down to an official Shimano Service Center--nearest of which is nearly three hours from here--and have the whole thing gone over before I haul it up to my place in northern Newfoundland.

How loud was it before getting frozen and then going through freeze-thaw cycles?

Right now, that new Bosch mid drive has to be the most loudest motor ever made, to the point of being obnoxious.
My own experience is the Bosch 4th generation CX on my CUBE is essentially silent in ECO and TOUR. Only when I go up from there does it even become audible at all, and certainly not obnoxious to me.
I heard all the stories and decided I wanted as quiet a drive as I could get so I was leaning towards a bike with a Brose drive. The bike I decided upon was the CUBE and the noise level is just fine. I expected far louder.

CN

At 19:40, Troy shows some Gen4 noise. There are numerous other notes from Court reviewing the Gen4 powered bikes; remarking about the noise on other Gen4 powered ebikes within his reviews.

The noise can be a by product of the bike's frame construction and design.

But in the end, for myself, choosing from Yamaha, Bosch, Shimano, Brose, Bafang is a wash as they are all good brands with their own quirks. The main thing that over rides all is to get out and have fun!

Feel like I'm asking one of the world's dumbest questions. But better to ask than not. Are ebike motors, Shimano in particular, silent or nearly so?

I bought a used eMtn bike in the fall. Only used it a few times before the ice and snow took over here in the mtns. Now had it out in the stunningly warm and beautiful weather we've been having. I am having so much fun and it is the right bike for what I like to do: ride up fairly steep mtn roads, paved, gravel, dirt, and ride some of the beautiful hilly country roads that most folks don't even know about. I love the bike, but its wonderful powerful Shimano e8000 motor is not nearly the "Silent" of the marketing and advertising. Leaving me confused.

Thought I'd ask before driving the bike three hours to the nearest Shimano Service Center. This is the only ebike I've ever been on and there's not many around here, so I don't see ebikers around to ask or compare. Two of the three small LBSs don't want to look at an ebike and the other just isn't that familiar with them but thinks its probably fine. Is it normal to hear whirring noise? It doesn't sound like a "somethings wrong" sound, no clicking or squealing, and the bike seems fine. Is it normal for the Shimano motors to not be "silent"? Thanks.
My Bosch CX certainly is audible IF I’m paying attention to it. Frankly, this idea of a “silent” bicycle is totally ridiculous, IMO. Theres wind, tire, chain, gear as well as traffic, birds, leaves, gravel, yada, yada, yada. There’s even a thread or two where some company wants customers to pitch in >$500 to trial a set of gears intended to make your bike quiet. Never mind that this trial will likely screw your motor warranty.
No hybrid or totally electric car is silent and they cost a lot more than your ebike. And if they eventually get there, regulations will likely require some sort of noisemaker to warn folks you’re driving near them. My suggestion is to just get used to what little noise your ebike makes.

My friend has a Voltbike Yukon and says he notices in his experience that some noise is a good thing. People that might otherwise might not hear you coming, do. The majority of the Yukon's noise is from the knobby tires, not the Bafang rear hub drive.
My CUBE is real quiet underway. That was my biggest takeaway when I took delivery. No rattles or squeaks at all. Any noise is motor. The stock Swalbe tires are pretty quiet. CN

I finally googled. Turns out there's a comparison of the noise levels of 7 of the more powerful ebike/emtn bike motors:
Turns out my Shimano e8000 is just about the noisiest. As noted above, I'm mostly an ebike virgin--tried a few for a few minutes each at dealers--and got my wonderful bike second hand and there are no ebike dealers within a hundred or miles, so its nice to know that the whirling isn't something wrong with either the bike or me. Still I think I'm going to take the bike down to an official Shimano Service Center--nearest of which is nearly three hours from here--and have the whole thing gone over before I haul it up to my place in northern Newfoundland.
It's a pity he could not include Specialized 1.2 motor in the test :)

Claiming a test on the "more powerful ebike/emtn bike motors" without including the Bafang BBSxx or Ultra motors makes any results a non starter here...

My Bosch CX certainly is audible IF I’m paying attention to it. Frankly, this idea of a “silent” bicycle is totally ridiculous, IMO. Theres wind, tire, chain, gear as well as traffic, birds, leaves, gravel, yada, yada, yada. There’s even a thread or two where some company wants customers to pitch in >$500 to trial a set of gears intended to make your bike quiet. Never mind that this trial will likely screw your motor warranty.
No hybrid or totally electric car is silent and they cost a lot more than your ebike. And if they eventually get there, regulations will likely require some sort of noisemaker to warn folks you’re driving near them. My suggestion is to just get used to what little noise your ebike makes.
"... just get used to what little noise your ebike makes." I can handle that part. It's the snarky, "Cheater!" remarks that I hate getting from some people.

Back