Motor feels like it is crunching when I pedal

Gmeng

Region
USA
Hi Folks,

I have a question sometimes when I start to pedal using pedal assist, the pedals feel like a vibration that feels like crunching coming from the motor it lasts only a few seconds. I was wondering if this normal or should I be concerned about this? It doesn't happen every time I start or resume pedaling.

Try turning off PAS (set setting to 0). If the crunchiness still happens, I would take a closer look at the gear train and chain first, maybe you picked up a rock or it’s dirty or out of alignment.

If you think it’s that, I would find something to support the bike on…bike stand..something so you can rotate the pedals while still in no assist mode. Maybe it just needs a cleaning.

I wouldn’t recommend rotating the pedals while it’s up in the air in any assist mode however. Seems dangerous.

If the sound is only there when your in one of the PAS modes, something may have happened with the hub motor.

are you sure it's the motor? check derailleur to see if it was bent in shipping and trying to engage gear when starting out.

are you sure it's the motor? check derailleur to see if it was bent in shipping and trying to engage gear when starting out.
I agree with all of the above. It could be as simple as cleaning the chain.

Wonderful! After a few rides rinse the chain with suds in a spray bottle and wash it with fresh water. In the meantime order Dry Lube. This is waxy and will attract less grit.

Back