Motobecane eBikes

I really like Shimano's customizable assist levels available through their "E-TUBE Project."

1. Even when tightened over 20Nm, the top mounting bolt for the rear shock loosened on each ride until I added Loctite.
  2. Needs a motor bash guard - I gouged mine on the first ride! The clearance is a bit lower than my Haibike AllMtn+, so I'll be more mindful of it on future rides (I also put some Gorilla Repair Tape on, which seems to help).
  3. The wheel magnet wire routing is funky - it rubbed against the bottom rear shock (and its mount/housing). I wrapped the magnet wire with electrical tape to protect it on those spots, and zip tied it with the rear brake tube so it wasn't flopping around so much inside the rear shock's housing, which is a wide-open catch-basin for debris, as well.

Your post sent me down to check our shock bolts...all tight.

My wire isn't rubbing either, but we have done some mud and slush rides, and the area does indeed scoop up crap.

Did you actually change the settings from the e-tube project? Was the software reasonable? I would not mind turning Trail up and Boost down.

Bikes Direct wrote that they anticipate have spare batteries available by May, but they don't yet know the price.

Your post sent me down to check our shock bolts...all tight.

My wire isn't rubbing either, but we have done some mud and slush rides, and the area does indeed scoop up crap.

Did you actually change the settings from the e-tube project? Was the software reasonable? I would not mind turning Trail up and Boost down.

Bikes Direct wrote that they anticipate have spare batteries available by May, but they don't yet know the price.

Spare batteries would be great! Hopefully they'll be in the EU's price range of ~$700 - bike-discount.de sells them for $637.96 (as of this writing), but can't ship them (or any ebike batteries) to the US "due to legal restrictions" (no int'l air for lithium?). You can, however, get many other ebike parts shipped here from them for far less than I've seen available in N. America, even after adding the $25-30 shipping charge.

And yes, I added the E-Tube Project app to my Android phone and think it's pretty cool. If you don't use the app, you're stuck with the motor's default "Dynamic" setting, shown as "Factor Setting" in the graphic below. Shimano's promos for E-Tube's customizability are a bit hyped-up IMO, but it's definitely better than having just one option for motor behavior and response.

After fairly long rides in both Dynamic and Explorer modes, I set my "Custom" setting to keep Boost assist level at the Medium "Sub-Mode," as I found the default High to be overkill for my riding style and needs (I seldom use Boost/High/Turbo on any of my eMTBs anymore, but used to when I was getting back into shape).

When in Trails assist mode (which seems similar to what I've read about Bosch CX's new eMTB mode), I preferred Dynamic's Low over Explorer's Medium, so I set my Custom Trail at Low. This should also extend battery life - we'll see!

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

I just learned about Commencal's recent entry into the electric mountain bike fray with its Meta Power full suspension lineup. The have a hardtail offering, too.

Motobecane's HAL eBoost Pro is a good value, but just $500 more for Commencal's "Origin" gets a full suss pedelec mountain bike with:
  • Shimano E8000/500wh
  • KS e30i Dropper
  • RockShox Super Deluxe rear shock
  • Motor bash guard
  • It's a Commencal!
The Origin uses a 1x10 drivetrain, but I feel that 11-speeds are overkill on my eMTBs. Their chains and cassettes definitely wear down faster than my 10-speeds.

If I had it to do over, I'd have bought this as my first E8000-powered bike.
origin.png

Last edited:
Looks like a nice bike. Though I have to say, those promo videos which give the impression it is some sort of flying projectile won't do much for the trail access.

I just learned about Commencal's recent entry into the electric mountain bike fray with its Meta Power full suspension lineup. The have a hardtail offering, too.

Motobecane's HAL eBoost Pro is a good value, but just $500 more for Commencal's "Origin" gets a full suss pedelec mountain bike with:
  • Shimano E8000/500wh
  • KS e30i Dropper
  • Motor bash guard
  • It's a Commencal!
The Origin uses a 1x10 drivetrain, but I feel that 11-speeds are overkill on my eMTBs. Their chains and cassettes definitely wear down faster than my 10-speeds.

origin.png
Very nice ride and good comparison to the Diamondback Ranger and HAL eboost. Dropper post is a nice added option which gives you a much better ride on inclines and downhill! The marketing is also impressive. The bike you have posted is my choice as well after seeing all of their offerings. Thanks for the heads up!!

Last edited:

• Shimano E8000/500wh
  • KS e30i Dropper
  • Motor bash guard
  • It's a Commencal!

origin.png

I've never heard of this company making ebikes until now. Very interesting history connected to this brand! Max Commencal is one of the most successful downhill mountain bike designers on the planet. Very good background here: http://www.bikeradar.com/us/gear/article/interview-max-commencal-19709/

Last edited:
I've never heard of this company making ebikes until now. Very interesting history connected to this brand! Max Commencal is one of the most successful downhill mountain bike designers on the planet. Very good background here: http://www.bikeradar.com/us/gear/article/interview-max-commencal-19709/
I read that and some other stories on Max & Co. - I was inspired to do so by the following excerpt from their website statement about their ebikes. Apparently E-MOUNTAINBIKE Magazine and others covered Commencal's EU ebike intro back in April - somehow I missed it!

We have been perfecting our own ebike for several years now.
We have built a number of prototypes, we have tested many motors and we have combined them with different types of batteries.
However, we couldn’t launch an ebike without a reliable and efficient electric system. No rush!

Then, Shimano released their E8000.
Compact, lightweight and powerful motor; ingeniously located display;
perfect trigger ergonomics; Bluetooth connection to adjust the set ups and update the system…
and the worldwide aftersales service from Shimano!
In a nutshell, it was the perfect time to enter the game!
The icing on the cake appeared when we were comparing the downhill times between the META and the META POWER (unassisted by the motor).
Surprisingly, the times were very close. That day we understood that we reached our goal!

As for those who tried it, they all came back saying:

Can I Keep It?

I read that and some other stories on Max & Co. - I was inspired to do so by the following excerpt from their website statement about their ebikes. Apparently E-MOUNTAINBIKE Magazine and others covered Commencal's EU ebike intro back in April - somehow I missed it!

We have been perfecting our own ebike for several years now.
We have built a number of prototypes, we have tested many motors and we have combined them with different types of batteries.
However, we couldn’t launch an ebike without a reliable and efficient electric system. No rush!

Then, Shimano released their E8000.
Compact, lightweight and powerful motor; ingeniously located display;
perfect trigger ergonomics; Bluetooth connection to adjust the set ups and update the system…
and the worldwide aftersales service from Shimano!
In a nutshell, it was the perfect time to enter the game!
The icing on the cake appeared when we were comparing the downhill times between the META and the META POWER (unassisted by the motor).
Surprisingly, the times were very close. That day we understood that we reached our goal!

As for those who tried it, they all came back saying:

Can I Keep It?
Great LimboJim- The company originated in Andorra la Vella, Andorra located between Spain and France. Must have tested a lot of their bikes in or near the Pyrenees mountains between France and Spain. This guy looks like a designing genius! Now I see why anyone would want to own at least one of their ebikes! The history alone is so inspiring! Hope your next ride is one of these. I would probably put it under lights in my living room!! LOL! :p

Hey Limbojim,

Thanks for the info on the Commencal. Being out of the MTB world for a while I was not familiar with this brand. When you first posted the info, I thought to my self how can that bike be better than the Motobecane with a single pivot and lower parts spec. Especially since I prefer the suspension design of the motobecane being similar to my specialized FSR. I spent a good part of my weekend researching this bike and its pedal only version and it looks amazing and very well regarded. My only worry for me is people complained about the wide chain stays and their heels hitting while pedaling. My right foot is bit crooked (off angle) and my heel is biased toward the chainring and on my specialized 29er I will hit the chain stay every now and then. If this bike has its chain stay on the wide side then its likely something I need to consider. Other than that this bike looks awesome. Now I need to make some decisions. The used Haibike All Mountain 7 is $3300 but I was going ot offer $2800 to see if he would take it. I like the Commencal and the e8000 better but the lowest model will set me back $4500 with tax since I am in Los Angeles. Its quite a difference in price and both bikes are likely better than I am as a rider. Yet its a one time purchase and I keep bikes a long time so considering just going with the Commencal if I can swing it. Not riding it first is a bit scary but they are 2 hours from me so it may be worth a drive.

Marc

Yet its a one time purchase and I keep bikes a long time so considering just going with the Commencal if I can swing it. Not riding it first is a bit scary but they are 2 hours from me so it may be worth a drive.
Marc

I think you'll be really happy with any of those bikes. It is a win/win: they are simply wonderful bikes to ride.

As far as keeping it a long time......I can't believe we won't see a period of rapid evolution. I remember the first mountain bikes, and man, did they ever improve in those early years. I would say a high quality bike at the lowest price would be the way to go. Save the $1700 difference, invest it wisely, and put it towards the future bike we all know is coming.

I think you'll be really happy with any of those bikes. It is a win/win: they are simply wonderful bikes to ride.

As far as keeping it a long time......I can't believe we won't see a period of rapid evolution. I remember the first mountain bikes, and man, did they ever improve in those early years. I would say a high quality bike at the lowest price would be the way to go. Save the $1700 difference, invest it wisely, and put it towards the future bike we all know is coming.
Im taking this advice. I figured I may be jumping a bit early on the ebike bandwaggon and there are sure to be more amazing bikes and motor systems to come out in the future so I may as well buy used for now. The owner of the Haibike All Mountain 7 has agreed to $2900 and its pretty much brand new. Also has tubeless tire mod, different grips, seat and bars. Also comes with stock items removed. Its likely a much better bike than I will ever need so for me it should suit me fine. Now I need to make the decision on if I sell my FSR 29er or keep it. My wife is sure to notice a new bright yellow bike and selling the old one is a bit more PC in her view... LOL

Hi there, I got my Motobecane three works ago and already put 400 miles onto it. So far I am incredibly impressed. The bike handles like a real MTB, and yes it's heavier, but the assist balance it nicely.

I did some upgrades that made it even more fun to ride. I added a drop seat post and changed the XT rear derailer to a Di2 XT derailer.

I get about 25 Miles per charge, climbing an elevation of 3000 feet. I'm mostly in Trail Mode.

And trust me, it's still a great work out, but I'm able to cover more terrain and see more beautiful landscapes.

Attachments

• A25B51E2-5E1C-4240-950F-1B672C307D0E.png
    A25B51E2-5E1C-4240-950F-1B672C307D0E.png
    191.6 KB · Views: 677
Have you made it tubeless? They put monster tubes in those things and that rim/tire combo makes it a snap to change.

Have you made it tubeless? They put monster tubes in those things and that rim/tire combo makes it a snap to change.
Hi Newfydog,

The bike came with tubeless tires. Here is the configuration:
Spokes 14Gx64PCS XD-BLACK STAINLESS W/14MM BRASS NIPPLE
Rims WTB STP i29 TCS 27.5" 32 hole drilling, Disc Only, Black Anodized; PV drilled, Pinned (Tubeless Compatible System Rim*See FAQ page for Tubeless system setup)
Tires MAXXIS REKON+ 27.5 X2.80 AR ( FOLDABLE ) DKFW ( BLACK, 120TPI ) TLR 3C Tubeless Casing, Folding Aramid Bead

Too bad they didn't use the i35 asym rims. They really make a difference and you can even run a narrower tire if you want in the mid to upper teens. I prefer a narrower tire in the front especially if there is a sus fork involved as I find the steering to be more precise and not have to use as wide a bar. The self steering effect of wider tires doesn't work for me.

Payton---Yes, the bike comes with tubeless tires, but they have tubes in them. You have to actually remove the tubes and put in tubeless valves and sealant to have them tubeless.

The self steering effect of wider tires doesn't work for me.

JRA--I don't think there is much issue. My wife hated the self steering in her fatbike, and got rid of it after a few rides. She has not had any problem with this bike, and cut the bars down way narrower than they came. If a women in her mid-60's can steer it, so can you I bet.

I don't have an e mtb, only my analog one but I run 15 psi in both ends exclusively and it does all I want it to, including steer and the bars aren't that narrow actually especially including the shrub hooks.
IMG_4246.JPG

To me it is more about optimal tire pressure than tire width. My e bike has 42c tires on it and I use 35psi in it and it steers like ginsu knife. I was on some super tight and twisty vague due to overgrowth single track in the dune grass at Ft. Steven's State Park last weekend and even though it was sandy I rode it all and at one point I got so focused on the trail that I had to stop for a minute because I started to get dizzy. If that makes any sense but I felt no need for any bigger a tire.

IMG_5126.JPG

It's all good but I get rims/tires for free and have tried a lot of combo's, all tubeless, and at this time for e bike use narrower tires and drop bars are doing all that I ask of them.

And to get the thread back on track:
BAD0CCE6-427D-42C8-AA07-4E80D3DBB65E.jpg

Payton---Yes, the bike comes with tubeless tires, but they have tubes in them. You have to actually remove the tubes and put in tubeless valves and sealant to have them tubeless.
Did not know that they do have tubs in them. I might change it at a later time. For now, I am very happy the way the bike handles. Our terrain is single track, fire roads, and large gravel paths. We do have larger rocks to conquer, but the tires handle those conditions very well.

Back