Motobecane eBikes

JRA

It was only a matter of time I suppose? Seems like a decent package, FS, b+, good components and price for a Shimano 8000 bike.

IMG_4550.JPG

Last edited:
Good for them. When I bought my fat bike from them, the direct sales model was a hot topic for discussion over at the mtb forum. Almost as hot as the whole ebikes on mtb trails topic is there.

Will it be the same here? I do find it interesting they are testing the market with a very high end model. Hope they expand it and really compete with the bigger players. They already ticked the right first box. Use a major brand motor and battery. I hope they do well!

I think the main drawback to buying an ebike direct is the lack of available service options for the E part of the bike. Most lbs won't touch them or won't touch what they don't sell, unlike a regular bike. If you're comfortable working on your own stuff, it's a great deal.

I expected the price to be lower. If you buy off season, you can get a full suspension Haibike for less.

I expected the price to be lower. If you buy off season, you can get a full suspension Haibike for less.
The Haibike FS eMTBs I own are fabulous (I have several hundred trail miles on my 2014/5 FS RX w/Bosch and 2016 AllMtn+ w/Yamaha), but none of Haibike's FS bikes come equipped with Shimano's E8000 motor... yet.

When I saw Motobecane's first foray into pedal assist MTBs came in well-specced at $3.5k w/the E8k motor, I dove right in (thx for the headsup, emco5!). While I have yet to fully experienced Bosch's/Yamaha's new/improved CX/PW-X motors, Shimano's newest motor blows me away @75 trail miles in so far, and I feel that Motobecane's eBoost is a solid value. Shimano's eMTB-specific motor is as smooth and intuitive as all the reviews say it is, IMO.

The bike's spartan design is fine by me, and its handling is crisp and nimble. Apparently, Diamondback's using the same front triangle in its Ranger eMTBs, which of course are only available in the EU thus far.

The 500Wh battery works well with the super-efficient motor, and I really like Shimano's customizable assist levels available through their "E-TUBE Project."

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

I do wish Motobecane had gone with 165 crank arms, offered a stock dropper, and maybe even Di2 electronic shifting, but that probably would have pushed the price over $4k and I can always add it all later.

If anyone else is pondering this bike, here are some initial experiences of mine:
  1. Even when tightened over 20Nm, the top mounting bolt for the rear shock loosened on each ride until I added Loctite.
  2. Needs a motor bash guard - I gouged mine on the first ride! The clearance is a bit lower than my Haibike AllMtn+, so I'll be more mindful of it on future rides (I also put some Gorilla Repair Tape on, which seems to help).
  3. The wheel magnet wire routing is funky - it rubbed against the bottom rear shock (and its mount/housing). I wrapped the magnet wire with electrical tape to protect it on those spots, and zip tied it with the rear brake tube so it wasn't flopping around so much inside the rear shock's housing, which is a wide-open catch-basin for debris, as well.

Wow Nice bikes! Looks like the Diamondback 2018 model has Di2 electronic shifters. Worth the wait when it becomes available...

Wow Nice bikes! Looks like the Diamondback 2018 model has Di2 electronic shifters. Worth the wait when it becomes available...
A couple weeks ago, I asked Diamondback via their Contact Me page if/when their eMTBs will become available in the USA - no response :(

Haro.
fullsizeoutput_95a.jpeg

A different front triangle but basically the same setup.

I think that if you look hard at most of the contenders these days there will be enough similarities amongst the different motor systems framework to make your personal decision a close call. Aftermarket support would be my main concern and I assume that Shimano is taking steps (sic) to bring warranty support online as quick as possible. I know Bosch has been very sensitive about this. Otherwise it is just bike parts which can easily be taken care of via the existing bicycle support scene of your choice.

As far as DB goes their is some restructuring going on apparently within their parent company here in the US which may or may not have an effect on their c/s going forward: http://www.bike-eu.com/home/nieuws/...lso-accell-hit-by-troubled-us-market-10132019

And sorry Ann, now that I am aware it will not happen again.

Hello All,

First post here.

I am currently commuting on an electric bike that I made by adding low power hubmotor (Q128 from BMS) and it works so well I now want to replace my 2008 Specialized FSR 29er with an electric bike. I test rode the Haibike all mountain 6.5 and 7, Specaialized Revo and the Giant. I was considering converting my FSR that I own with a BBSHD and using my commuter battery but don't want the liability of a motor hanging below. Now I see Motobecane has made what looks to be a really nice bike. I have no familiarity with the Shimano E drives but did find I liked the Bosch over the Yamaha. Before finding the Motobecane I was pretty much settled on the 2017 All mountain 7 and my LBS has it for roughly 3800 out the door so its very similar in price to the Motobecane. Yet the motobecane is better specked and unsure if i want ot take the chance site unseen and no demo ride when I know I like the All mountain 7.

If anyone on here has experience with the bike vs Haibike I would love to hear it. Also a Bosch CX vs Shimano comparison. Limbojim would love more info...

Also I want a PAS type bike over the high powered Luna bikes as I want to keep the bie fele over more the motorcycle feel. Not ot put down what they are doing s I think its amazing but for my Mtn biking tastes I only want some help in climbing mostly...

Thanks,

Marc

I think the electronic shifting is an answer to a problem that didn't exist. The mechanical 1x11 works perfectly every shift, and a friend who got some automatic torque controlled shifting free from Shimano said he had to "euthanize" those features.

I'm new to ebikes, but not to Motobecane, having a whole fleet of them from cyclocross bikes to fatbikes. I've put together over 20 of them for family and friends. We just got two of the Motobecane ebikes are absolutely love them. I wrote some reviews and ride descriptions in this thread on mtbr.com:

http://forums.mtbr.com/e-bikes/motobecane-hal-e-looks-like-cool-whip-1058744.html
Thanks Newfydog,

I just read your post on MTBR and bike sounds great. My only concern is I have ridden the 2017 Haibike All Mountain 7 and like it but with Motobecane its a shot in the dark on fit and if I will like the Shimano E8000 vs the Bosch CX. I have read reviews of each saying each is better than the other, but by and large the Bosch CX seems to come out on top based on peoples experience. Many say the E8000 is a good start but is a long way to go to be as good as the Bosch. Your thoughts on this? Have you ridden a Haibike or Bosch equipped bike for comparison. My wife would likely approve of the Motobecane being French but she is unaware its no longer a French brand but I'd let her still think it is. She had Motobecane bikes and mopeds as a kid.

I can get either bike within $100 price of each other. I do like the better spec on the Motobecane, but its hard to take that chance since I know I already fit the Haibike well. Yet the better components spec is also a big deal. Also it looks like extra batteries are cheaper with the Shimano system. Also Haibike has been doing this for a while so they have most of the kinks figured out. This is Motobecanes first foray in to ebikes as well.

I have a bit of time to think on all this and will likely purchase something early December.

I love the Motobecane deception! We keep a set of bikes in France, and see old Motos frequently. I can say that I'm very happy with BikesDirect. BD Motobecane has some haters, but I think most are pissed they overpaid for their bikes. The only issue I've had was a titanium frame I broke. It was an early version of their frame and broke at a lug. They stripped a frame to quickly send me a replacement, and the final production version was a lugless design. All the bikes have been good out of the box.

I demo'd a Bosch bike very briefly, so I can't help much there, but we must have read different reviews because it seems the Shimano Steps has some fans. For me, the fact that the Q factor spacing, chain stay length are the same as a non -motorized bike is a big deal, as is the remarkable sensitivity to input torque, making the Shimano a very natural transition. I can convince myself I'm on a regular bike, and in very good shape.
http://ebike-mtb.com/en/the-best-emtb-motor/

fit--My wife is 5'6" I am 6'0". The 38 and 46 cm bikes fit us great. I changed to a bit longer stem and cut down the bar widths a bit. Any fit issue of that type can be easily addressed. If you don't feel right with a wider Q spacing or don't like the handling of longer chain stays, that can't be adjusted. If you felt good on the Haibike however, maybe that is not an issue.

The Maxxis Recon 2.8" tires on the Motobecane are superb. We do a fair bit of sandy or snowy rides, and I could see going even bigger. Looks like there is decent clearance to do so.

Sorry I can't help more, but if you need any measurements or details on the Moto, let me know.

Hello All,

First post here.

I am currently commuting on an electric bike that I made by adding low power hubmotor (Q128 from BMS) and it works so well I now want to replace my 2008 Specialized FSR 29er with an electric bike. I test rode the Haibike all mountain 6.5 and 7, Specaialized Revo and the Giant. I was considering converting my FSR that I own with a BBSHD and using my commuter battery but don't want the liability of a motor hanging below. Now I see Motobecane has made what looks to be a really nice bike. I have no familiarity with the Shimano E drives but did find I liked the Bosch over the Yamaha. Before finding the Motobecane I was pretty much settled on the 2017 All mountain 7 and my LBS has it for roughly 3800 out the door so its very similar in price to the Motobecane. Yet the motobecane is better specked and unsure if i want ot take the chance site unseen and no demo ride when I know I like the All mountain 7.

If anyone on here has experience with the bike vs Haibike I would love to hear it. Also a Bosch CX vs Shimano comparison. Limbojim would love more info...

Also I want a PAS type bike over the high powered Luna bikes as I want to keep the bie fele over more the motorcycle feel. Not ot put down what they are doing s I think its amazing but for my Mtn biking tastes I only want some help in climbing mostly...

Thanks,

Marc
I haven't experienced the latest eMTB-specific Bosch CX, Yamaha PW-X or Brose-S motors, so I can't compare them to the E8000. I do own three Haibikes (2014 Xduro FS RX, 2015 Xduro rx29 & 2016 Sduro AllMtn+) however, and will say that the overall build quality and finish on all three are noticeably superior to my 2018 Motobecane eBoost Pro (pivots, motor bash guards, PAINT etc.). So I'd jump on that deal for the "lower-specced" Haibike AllMtn 7.0; I think you might be happier in the long run (you can always upgrade componentry later).

I have ridden a BBS02-fitted Biktrix offroad extensively, as well, and the low overhang sent me flying off the bike when I tried to clear a 4-5" log that every other MTB or eMTB I've ever ridden cleared with ease. Also, IMO, Bafang's power is far too binary, and it's way to torquey at its lowest assist level for traversing technical singletrack. The lag time after pedal disengagement is also a liability on tight turns etc.

I haven't experienced the latest eMTB-specific Bosch CX, Yamaha PW-X or Brose-S motors, so I can't compare them to the E8000. I do own three Haibikes (2014 Xduro FS RX, 2015 Xduro rx29 & 2016 Sduro AllMtn+) however, and will say that the overall build quality and finish on all three are noticeably superior to my 2018 Motobecane eBoost Pro (pivots, motor bash guards, PAINT etc.). So I'd jump on that deal for the "lower-specced" Haibike AllMtn 7.0; I think you might be happier in the long run (you can always upgrade componentry later).

I have ridden a BBS02-fitted Biktrix offroad extensively, as well, and the low overhang sent me flying off the bike when I tried to clear a 4-5" log that every other MTB or eMTB I've ever ridden cleared with ease. Also, IMO, Bafang's power is far too binary, and it's way to torquey at its lowest assist level for traversing technical singletrack. The lag time after pedal disengagement is also a liability on tight turns etc.
Thanks Limbojim,

I have ridden a BBS02 converted bike and while it did have a ton of speed and power it was not refined and easily controllable in singletrack as you mentioned. That is why when I converted my commuter I chose a small Q128 hubmotor from BMS. I wanted a bike under 40lbs that still felt like a bike. Also on the off chance I lose power I wanted it to not have too much drag and the geared hubmotos hardly have any. I pedaled my dads BBS02 bike and it was abysmal to pedal with all the drag. I did pedal the All Mountain 7 with the motor off and it was even worse than the BBS02. I had read the shimano system pedals a bit better and the Brose system completely decouples. Some of the points newfydog mentions sound good and also seems the shimano bikes batteries are a bit less then the Bosch. I do like that you have experience on both so that puts the All mountain 7 more on top for me and if needed I can take the money I save on the used All Mountain 7 to buy an extra battery one day.

I will think this all over and do more research over the holiday.

Thanks Limbojim,

I have ridden a BBS02 converted bike and while it did have a ton of speed and power it was not refined and easily controllable in singletrack as you mentioned. That is why when I converted my commuter I chose a small Q128 hubmotor from BMS. I wanted a bike under 40lbs that still felt like a bike. Also on the off chance I lose power I wanted it to not have too much drag and the geared hubmotos hardly have any. I pedaled my dads BBS02 bike and it was abysmal to pedal with all the drag. I did pedal the All Mountain 7 with the motor off and it was even worse than the BBS02. I had read the shimano system pedals a bit better and the Brose system completely decouples. Some of the points newfydog mentions sound good and also seems the shimano bikes batteries are a bit less then the Bosch. I do like that you have experience on both so that puts the All mountain 7 more on top for me and if needed I can take the money I save on the used All Mountain 7 to buy an extra battery one day.

I will think this all over and do more research over the holiday.
Have you had to ride ebikes with no power often? I've got ~3-4k trail miles (mostly) on several eMTBs now, and can count the number of times I've had to pedal them unassisted on one hand. Maybe I've been lucky or don't ride as far or long as some folks, but Bosch/Yamaha motor/battery reliability has been very good, in my experience.

I do, however, seem to wear chains and brakes out quickly - there are some steep hills in my State Park backyard! Recently I've been keeping my KMC ebike chains cleaner and better lubed, and started using metallic pads, which seems to help extend their lives.

Good luck - I look forward to reading about your final decision!

Have you had to ride ebikes with no power often? I've got ~3-4k trail miles (mostly) on several eMTBs now, and can count the number of times I've had to pedal them unassisted on one hand. Maybe I've been lucky or don't ride as far or long as some folks, but Bosch/Yamaha motor/battery reliability has been very good, in my experience.

I do, however, seem to wear chains and brakes out quickly - there are some steep hills in my State Park backyard! Recently I've been keeping my KMC ebike chains cleaner and better lubed, and started using metallic pads, which seems to help extend their lives.

Good luck - I look forward to reading about your final decision!
Thanks for the reply Limbojim,

I have only ever ridden my commuter with the motor off on purpose. Its not much different other than it feels like im not going fast enough for the effort. Its likely a non issue on the Emtn bike and will choose based on fit. Im leaving town for thanksgiving but if the used All Mountan 7 is still for sale will likely get it or if not as my LBS to meet the same price OTD. The LBS is already discounting heavily so unsure if he can meet the used cost. I also need to research warranty issues buying used. Not that I feel I will need it but you never know.

Marc

Back