Most powerful ebike ~$3k for groceries and in-town errands?

Personally, I would ditch the front and rear baskets. Having those permanently mounted to the bike would be annoying when you take the bike out on the weekend offroad fun rides. I would get a trailer instead; it can carry a heck of a lot more, it doesn't affect the handling of the bike, and the bike is relieved of permanent weight.
I don't know about the front basket, but the rear baskets are no problem. They fold up completely out of the way -- no rattle, no nothin. I'd like to have a Burley Travoy, so I'm not against the idea of a trailer. But believe me, the Wald rear baskets are a great piece of kit and do the job for 95% of what I need to carry around. My wife liked them so much she traded more traditional panniers for a set of Walds.

the folding Wald's in the back, because they are permanently bolted to the bike.
That's not exactly accurate. I'm thinking you never had a set because you make statements that make no sense. Yes, they are attached to the bike and yes, you can't just take them off and put them back on at a second's notice. You can in fact to so in five minutes if you wish, using zip ties as we did with my wife's bike. But since they are rock-solid and fold up completely out of the way, why would you want to? Either speak up about actual experience that you have had with Wald baskets, or stop presenting uninformed opinion as fact.

That's not exactly accurate...Yes, they are attached to the bike and yes, you can't just take them off and put them back on at a second's notice. You can in fact to so in five minutes if you wish, using zip ties as we did with my wife's bike.

Even zip tied, you need a tool to remove them, so that meets my definition of permanently attached to the bike. Not to mention you'd need a new zip tie to reattach them.

I work on bikes as a profession, so I have installed many Wald folding baskets. I am glad you are happy with yours, but the last bike I worked on that had one (which was just a couple of weeks ago), the basket was difficult to fold and unfold from bits getting bent and the metal clip meant to hold them folded was rusted and no longer functional. Of course it depends on how you take care of stuff, but most people don't, so I get to try and fix these kind of things on a regular basis.

Even zip tied, you need a tool to remove them, so that meets my definition of permanently attached to the bike. Not to mention you'd need a new zip tie to reattach them.

I work on bikes as a profession, so I have installed many Wald folding baskets. I am glad you are happy with yours, but the last bike I worked on that had one (which was just a couple of weeks ago), the basket was difficult to fold and unfold from bits getting bent and the metal clip meant to hold them folded was rusted and no longer functional. Of course it depends on how you take care of stuff, but most people don't, so I get to try and fix these kind of things on a regular basis.
So if people don't take care of their equipment, it doesn't perform as designed. Got it. It's not a criticism of the equipment, but it's true.

For contrast, how many bikes with Wald baskets have you worked on that were giving the owner exactly the kind of service they had hoped for?

I'm totally happy with the Omaha Bushwhackers. Easy on and off, large capacity and fold up for storage.

If this is becoming a "baskets vs trailers" threads I think the executive summary would be:

Both baskets and trailers have advantages and disadvantages. Both can work fine for hauling stuff, and neither is going to be all sunshine and kittens. Many people have passionate opinions on one versus the other. Do what works for you.

Back