Mono shock adjustment

EdC

I recently saw a YouTube video on adjusting the mono shock on a Gazelle Elite. Has anyone had the need to soften their mono shock and ,if so, how did it work out. Ed

Can you use this manual?
http://www.postmoderne.com.tw/file/UNICON Fork Adjustment Instructions.pdf
It's the type that's on my Ultimate C380, and I wonder if it's the same front suspension.
You have to remove the wheel and front fender, so it is adjustment with the "trial and error" method. I tightened mine to make it more stiff in the suspension and it worked.
It is also important to lubricate it regularly as described in order for it to function satisfactorily.

Can you use this manual?
It's the type that's on my Ultimate C380, and I wonder if it's the same front suspension.
You have to remove the wheel and front fender, so it is adjustment with the "trial and error" method. I tightened mine to make it more stiff in the suspension and it worked.
It is also important to lubricate it regularly as described in order for it to function satisfactorily.
Watch the Electric Avenue video titled “Gazelle Ultimate Monoshock Fronr Suspension Fork Adjustment.” It shows the adjustment without removing the fender or wheel. Ed

Watch the Electric Avenue video titled “Gazelle Ultimate Monoshock Fronr Suspension Fork Adjustment.
Yes, I saw it and I am shocked, because what he adjusts is not stiffness (preload), but side-play in the front fork, so that video is IMHO completely wrong.
You must of course follow the original manual that I linked to, and there it is clearly described what to adjust.
If in doubt, do not adjust anything yourself, but go to the dealer and let his workshop do the adjustment.
Someone should write to the author of the video and ask him to remove or fix it, but I'm sitting here in Europe and don't want to be the police for the thousands of wrong videos on Youtube and elsewhere.

Also look at this comment below the video:
1678257836805.png

Great information! Thanks for sharing! I believe this is the same system on mine too.

Can you use this manual?
The manual was very helpful. Thanks, I’ll Do as you suggested and leave shock adjustments to a bike mechanic. Do you know how often the shock needs to be greased? Ed

Do you know how often the shock needs to be greased?
Well, . maybe once or twice a year, depending on how much you drive. It is a good idea to wipe off the old grease first if you drive in an area with sand and dust. As I recall (two years since my bike was new), it was not greased at all from the factory.

I thought I should revive this thread. I now have 2000 km on my Gazelle Ultimate C380, and was always disappointed at how stiff the ride felt over bumps. I felt that the front shock didn't really do anything... and I was right. After looking at this thread a few days ago, I went for a ride and tried to bend to the side while riding to see if the shock was actually moving. To my surprise, I saw that the boot around the shock was compressed all the way, so the shock was basically bottomed out.

I followed the adjustment instructions in the Post-Moderne Unicon manual, tightening the spring tension by several turns over two tries, and the difference is like night and day. After the first try at about 5 turns, I could feel that the shock was working, but when I bent to the side, I could see that the boot was still compressed almost all the way, so I added more tension. It is difficult to say exactly how many turns of the tension screw I actually made, but would estimate about 10 (I am about 210 lbs). I could feel the tension tightening up as I progressed, starting from almost no turning resistance on the adjustment screw, to slight resistance, to moderate resistance.

As mentioned above, it is necessary to remove the wheel and front fender to access the adjustment.

The Post-Moderne manual for the Monoshock states that the spring tension is set at the lowest preload setting from the factory, and my LBS did not even mention the adjustment when I picked up the bike. The maintenance manuals I could find for the Gazelle do not mention the spring tension adjustment, so I wonder how many Gazelle bikes there are out there with a front Monoshock that isn't adjusted.

If you own a Gazelle with a Monoshock, you may want to check yours.

I have attached the Unicon manual since my antivirus reports the link posted above as having virus threats.

Attachments

• UNICON Fork Adjustment Instructions copy.pdf
    746.3 KB · Views: 183
I thought I should revive this thread. I now have 2000 km on my Gazelle Ultimate C380, and was always disappointed at how stiff the ride felt over bumps. I felt that the front shock didn't really do anything... and I was right.
Your excellent description completely matches what I have also experienced. I also drive the Ultimate C380 and my dealer here in Denmark had no idea that the suspension could be adjusted, so I had to find the manual myself on the internet. And it is correct that a great many revolutions must be adjusted before you can feel a real difference. I weigh about 90 kg (~200 lbs).
Note the section on regular lubrication. It is important. Well lubricated with Lithium grease, after 2+ years and 18,000 km on both asphalt and forest gravel roads, I have no play or wear at all.

Back