Model R reviews/opinions?

gabrielgartner

This bike ticks a lot of boxes for me. I'm a taller/heavier rider (6'4" and 275) and I like the weight limit of the bike and several other features (e.g., upright body position), but I cannot find much about it online.

For instance, is it class 2 or 3 (it seems like a hybrid)?
Does it use cadence or torque sensors for pedal assist?

I would be looking at the 7 speed version primarily for commuting 15 or so miles daily in fairly hilly terrain.

Anyone have any personal experience yet with this bike?

I'm also looking at things like the Aventon level (perhaps not upright enough for me) and the pace 500, but I'm not a fan of their no throttle on demand and pedal assist starting at 1.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Gabriel

The Model R by default is a Class 2 (20mph throttle/PAS combo), however could be changed via configuration to conform to Class 3, or as you point out a Class 3 hybrid of 28mph and throttle. The bike uses cadence sensor for the pedal assist.

While I've not tried the R, my model (S) uses the same motor, and when traveling with a similar weight configuration, it does depend on what you mean by "hilly". You indicate you will be using the mechanical gears as well as the PAS gears, and you would find hills of >8% grade of any length challenging. The 15 miles in a PAS mode would not be a challenge, and as long as hilly is more of a 3-5% grade, you should be fine with the R, and you'll find the company easy to work with (but there is a wait time at the moment) :)

Here is a fresh review from Electrek... 28mph is not bad for a cruiser style eBike. 😉

Electric Bike Company Model R e-bike tech specs

• Motor: 500 W nominal (wink wink) and 1,250 W peak rear geared hub motor
  • Top speed: 45 km/h (28 mph)
  • Range: Up to 80 km (50 mi) with moderate pedaling, higher range with only low pedal-assist, less with throttle-only
  • Battery: 48 V with either 11.6 Ah (556 Wh) or 14Ah (672 Wh) options
  • Charge time: 4-5 hours
  • Weight: 25.4 kg (56 lb)
  • Max load: 172 kg (380 lb)
  • Brakes: Tektro Dorado hydraulic 4-piston disc brakes on 180mm rotors
  • Extras: LCD display, LED head and tail lights, thumb throttle, mounting for front and rear racks and accessories
At $2,199, the Electric Bike Company Model R is on the higher end of the moderate price range for leisurely cruiser-style electric bikes.

Hi Gabriel,

Just wondering if you have tried the Model R or whether you pulled the trigger and bought it? I am a big guy as well and I'm a little worried that the single size frame won't be large enough.

Back