Misleading Motor Information

Size of motor has little to do with it. A motor the size of a walnut can produce 750 watts. The torque is what gets you up the hill. Bolton came up with a bigger version of a 750 watt motor which gave you more torque over the smaller one. Nobody is deceiving anyone. There just isn't a reliable motor spec sheet that makes sense to consumers. My 250 watt beach cruiser is a mid drive and will climb a wall in first gear.

Size of motor has little to do with it. A motor the size of a walnut can produce 750 watts. The torque is what gets you up the hill. Bolton came up with a bigger version of a 750 watt motor which gave you more torque over the smaller one. Nobody is deceiving anyone. There just isn't a reliable motor spec sheet that makes sense to consumers. My 250 watt beach cruiser is a mid drive and will climb a wall in first gear.

No. Someone is deceiving a lot of people. You seem to be putting lipstick on a pig...but in the end it's still a pig. I have a bridge for sale in Brooklyn, if you are interested.

I do know that my Ecotric 26" fattie that was spec'd as a 36v 500w mtr easily goes up the hills in Asheville if I'm in PAS 4 or 5 and peddling 1st or second gear on a 7 speed hub. Peddling in 4 or 5 in the highest gear is a waisted effort if on flat ground because I cant keep up with the motor.

No. Someone is deceiving a lot of people. You seem to be putting lipstick on a pig...but in the end it's still a pig. I have a bridge for sale in Brooklyn, if you are interested.
Aventon Pace 500 list the motor as 750 W peak brushless motor, then when you go down and look at electronics it listed as 750 w peak 500 W sustained, is that misleading? If you look around many bike companies over watt the motors, until there’s a unified way to rate motors, this will happen.

OK let's look at it from another angle.
The true 750 Bafang motor is built differently with stronger components than the 500 Bafang motor. It is not the same. If a bike is advertised with a Bafang 750 motor and it is implied that that is the motor on that bike by the seller I expect to get that motor and that motor only... You can argue semantics till the cows come home. The fact remains it was false advertising bu the seller to say it has a specific motor if it is in fact something else..
Juice it up any way you wish, it is not the same motor.

"I can't believe anyone likes paying for something advertised they didn't get.
If I buy a 100 watt bulb I expect to get a 100 watt bulb. Pretty simple.
My goodness, this looks like a lawsuit waiting to happen.
But what if it was a over-volted 50W bulb that's basically giving 100W output?

I think it's a tricky one.. because although it is based on 350W motor, it is draining 750W of electricity."

I wonder how long a 120volt 50 watt light bulb will last it you boast the voltage to to get the 100w output? 0.5 seconds or less I suspect.

How can one say it's a great company when they sold, charged for and misrepresented what the person was buying? I mean if addressing the problem is to now be truthful by changing the specs? Pretty low bar to be considered a great company. Anyway the value of having a forum that posts experiences that are verified by other folks is it saves the people looking to make a choice some serious money.
Very true. Where else are they mis leading people ? The problem with sending higher current into a motor that is really 350 or 500 watts in terms of its windings, and other components, is that heat will build up more than it would have were it a true 750 watt motor, and the life will be shorter. Additionally it will be harder on the internal gears not designed for it. A true 750 watt motor and the appropriate size controller will actually acheive a higher instantaneous peak watt demand, than 750 watts and deliver the power and torque that you expect when you need it most, such as when climbing hills.

How many people chose a Rover or other Rad product versus another brand that advertised true specs on their motor ?

Bolton loves Rad and their misleading ratings bc he has sold a TON of upgrades to people wanting more power. They end paying a lot more than people who bought other brands with a true 750 watt motor too. He's very sly about not bashing them though. Funny.

A pretty good business strategy. The more they deceive people the more money he makes. I like it.

Bolton loves Rad and their misleading ratings bc he has sold a TON of upgrades to people wanting more power. They end paying a lot more than people who bought other brands with a true 750 watt motor too. He's very sly about not bashing them though. Funny.
It’s funny that you chime in, you sellAventon. That say 750 w power, But it’s an overvolted 500 W motor, I guess that’s OK?

It’s funny that you chime in, you sellAventon. That say 750 w power, But it’s an overvolted 500 W motor, I guess that’s OK?

I have a Corvette I will sell you, very cheap. (Really a Pinto, but not to worry).

And what are you selling? Bolton brought the issues of Rad's misleading bs to everyone's attention before he was selling any upgrade kit. Bolton has helped everyone with his videos for years and does have an awesome upgrade kit along with many other products, are you just pissed off because you didn't think of the kit first? Good for Bolton I hope he sells tons more. I was going to throw my Radrover in the trash until I installed Bolton's kit, now the bike is awesome, the way it should have been delivered. He doesn't bash Rad like you're bashing him but he tells it the way it is in his videos. Shame on you!

And what are you selling? Bolton brought the issues of Rad's misleading bs to everyone's attention before he was selling any upgrade kit. Bolton has helped everyone with his videos for years and does have an awesome upgrade kit along with many other products, are you just pissed off because you didn't think of the kit first? Good for Bolton I hope he sells tons more. I was going to throw my Radrover in the trash until I installed Bolton's kit, now the bike is awesome, the way it should have been delivered. He doesn't bash Rad like you're bashing him but he tells it the way it is in his videos. Shame on you!
Mike?

I think the real issue is peak vs nominal power. Most vendors do not differentiate in their specifications. My bike is 750W nominal and over 1100W peak. I suspect that most 500W nominal motors could achieve 750W peak, but unless the vendor identifies whether their rating is peak or nominal, the buyer really doesn't know what they are buying. RAD, M2S, and many others simply state "750W power". At least Aventon states 750W peak, so the knowledgeable buyer should realize they are really getting a 500W motor. Unfortunately, most buyers at these price points are not all that knowledgeable. (myself included).

I think the real issue is peak vs nominal power. Most vendors do not differentiate in their specifications. My bike is 750W nominal and over 1100W peak. I suspect that most 500W nominal motors could achieve 750W peak, but unless the vendor identifies whether their rating is peak or nominal, the buyer really doesn't know what they are buying. RAD, M2S, and many others simply state "750W power". At least Aventon states 750W peak, so the knowledgeable buyer should realize they are really getting a 500W motor. Unfortunately, most buyers at these price points are not all that knowledgeable. (myself included).

My thoughts would add rookie buyers to the peak vs. nominal power thought, AND the fact that RAD and a few others seem to be capitalizing on it. Right or wrong, I doubt seriously that they can be held accountable in any way.

The fact remains that there are MANY Rover owners very happy with the power level they purchased/received..... AND the fact it can be built upon using plug and play parts. That's not so true of most other bikes available.

I sure a lot of companies rate their motors 500W so that it can comply with the regulations.
Why are they all exactly rated at 500W and 750W?
Not 488W, 831W, 522W, 902W, etc?

Because in the motorcycle industry, the horsepower ratings are all over the place.

Exactly which "regulations" are those?

Class 1, Class 2 and Class 3

still don't understand the relationship. Isn't the wattage the max number for each class. Does it say anywhere that it can't be 439 eg, for a 500? Or is it too hot today and I'm just missing the whole idea here?

I think his argument was that current motor power rating is not friendly for beginners.

For example 500W motor (usually) means 500W nominal. Not max.
It can be 500W norminal, 731W max, or 500W nominal and 1240W max.

The regulation says the motor needs to be rated at 500W. Okay so everyone just list it as 500W, but the max power can differ.

It is rather strange rule, because if you look at cars or motorcycles, they always list the max power.

thanks.

Back