Minnesota cash rebate for eBike purchase.

that's sweet!!!

it is somewhat limited to lower-wage earners (which is fine) but 75% of the cost of a $2,000 bike for someone making $25k is a really great thing. for the typical high end ebike customer making >150k (married jointly) $750 is still worth the trouble. cool program.

Would like to see this in my state or even on the national level.

that's sweet!!!

it is somewhat limited to lower-wage earners (which is fine) but 75% of the cost of a $2,000 bike for someone making $25k is a really great thing. for the typical high end ebike customer making >150k (married jointly) $750 is still worth the trouble. cool program.
Not according to the linked article:
1685626608758.png

Unless I am misinterpreting, the actual total rebate of $1,500 doesn't change here either, only the %.

So if I were to buy a $2,000 bike...
- Being at the lowest bracket, I would receive a $1,500 rebate
- Being at the top (or above), I would receive a $1,000 rebate

But If I'm at the top or above, I would still receive a 50% rebate, up to the full $1,500? So if I'm past the joint income amount, I could still receive a 50% rebate of $1,500 on a $3,000 bike. Seems too good to be true, but I think it is - earners at or above the max $150k joint are still eligible for a 50% rebate, and there is no mention of the $1,500 value changing in the equation, only the reduced percentage.

Sounds like I'll be getting a new bike in 2024!

Last edited:
View attachment 154946

Unless I am misinterpreting, the actual total rebate of $1,500 doesn't change here either, only the %.

But If I'm at the top or above, I would still receive a 50% rebate, up to the full $1,500? So if I'm past the joint income amount, I could still receive a 50% rebate of $1,500 on a $3,000 bike. Seems too good to be true, but I think it is - earners at or above the max $150k joint are still eligible for a 50% rebate, and there is no mention of the $1,500 value changing in the equation, only the reduced percentage.

Damn! I was ready to get the Ms a new ride THIS month!

Damn! I was ready to get the Ms a new ride THIS month!
Seems like it'll be a bit of a process, but not too difficult:
- get approved
- approval is valid for 1 month - so you get a window to actually go out and buy
- store needs to be an approved vendor - they will then provide the discount directly to the consumer, and be reimbursed

Caveats that I read:
- 40% of the total funds are to be held for people on the lower end of the income level (41k individual, 78k joint) BUT...
- if any of those funds are unused by October 1st, they will then become available to anyone

So if you're above those income thresholds and miss out at the start of July - you can try again on October 1st to see if funds become available

One other thing I like here - keeps the rebates tied to retail sales. Although I've bought most of my bikes online (well, mostly from Lenny's in Madison), it makes a ton of sense for a state incentive to keep the money in-state and not eligible for online sales.

The only downside here is $2Mil/year for 2 years. Maybe this is just testing the waters, but if every buyer maxes their rebate that is just over 1,300 rebates.

I find it interesting that some states promote e-bikes with programs like this while some states, counties & towns pass laws to overly regulate their use.

I guess it all depends on where you live.

Last edited:
View attachment 154946

hmmmm I interpreted it as 50% of the rebate, but I think you’re right, it’s 50% of the purchase price up to $1,500!

hmmmm I interpreted it as 50% of the rebate, but I think you’re right, it’s 50% of the purchase price up to $1,500!
Yeah - if it were related to the max rebate of $1,500 the language would have read something along the lines of 100% down to 50%. Since the only discussion of the 50% is in relation to the initial 75% rebate, that is what leads me to believe the $1,500 doesn't change.

One other thing I like here - keeps the rebates tied to retail sales. Although I've bought most of my bikes online (well, mostly from Lenny's in Madison), it makes a ton of sense for a state incentive to keep the money in-state and not eligible for online sales.

The only downside here is $2Mil/year for 2 years. Maybe this is just testing the waters, but if every buyer maxes their rebate that is just over 1,300 rebates.
Walz is all in on eBikes we have hope. (and dope)

I'm thinking there are still details to wring out.

I heard that MN paves most all of their bike trails. After taking a bad crash on a washed out gravel trail last month, still not recovered, I'm all in for pavement.

I heard that MN paves most all of their bike trails. After taking a bad crash on a washed out gravel trail last month, still not recovered, I'm all in for pavement.

humanity invented paving for a reason :D

smoother, faster, quiter, less friction, less dusty, doesn't get muddy or rutted!

humanity invented paving for a reason :D

smoother, faster, quiter, less friction, less dusty, doesn't get muddy or rutted!
This is true as long as the pavement is maintained. I've had more accidents on paved trails than gravel. Mostly due to root heaves in the shadows or under leaves.

Paved trails are indeed a great ride when they're new. Sadly, most of the ones in my neck of the woods are many years old and not well maintained. Blacktop is expensive and the upkeep is far more costly than packed gravel. All too many state, county & municipal parks use the pave once and forget policy.

AND keeps them clear ALL winter. No ice and no salt and sand either.

Not all are paved some are crushed limestone, but well maintained.
Mn also passed the Idaho Stop law.

Back