Mid-drives with throttle/trigger?

Emma H

I have a Haibike speed pedelec, which I love. Unfortunately, the knee injury that first prompted me to get an ebike has been acting up with increased frequency and duration. After a month of forgoing my bike for a bus, I can make it 80% of the way to work without pain, but the 20% seems to set me up with pain for the rest of the day.

I'd love a bike that would allow me to ride without pedalling when necessary but still has a mid-drives for efficiency/riding style. A top speed of 28 mph would be a huge plus, but I'd take a 20 mph, too. I've seen old iZip reviews that mention a mid-drives + button/throttle set-up that I think would be perfect for my situation. However, I can't seem to find any 2019 models with the set up. Does such a set-up still exist at iZip/Raleigh or at other companies?

I've been super disheartened at the thought of not being able to commute by bike, and I don't love rear wheel drive ebikes. Any and all advice or bikes I should look at would be appreciated!

Sorry to read about your knee, I broke my leg at the knee last fall and was surprised how long recovery took, Evelo bikes use Bafang mid drives, I like the look of the Aurora mid-drive model that uses a bbs02 motor/25mph with throttle https://www.evelo.com/electric-bicycles/aurora/. Courts review https://electricbikereview.com/evelo/aurora/. Unsure what the current status is though with >750w motors and Nuvinci/enviolo cvp hubs see https://electricbikereview.com/foru...sues-with-davinci-n380-and-750w-motors.24863/. Other brands using Bafang mid drive motors include Biktrix, BMebikes, Luna Cycle, there are others.

Last edited:
Hey Emma! I wonder… Why must it be a mid drive? Hub drives are terrific commuters. I was at my local independent bike repair shop (he doesn’t sell bikes) and he had a Haibike on the rack and an izip waiting and had a lot to say about how much maintenance mid drive bikes require. He said he recommends hub drives. I asked about flats and he said the ease of flat changes on mid drives in no way compensates for the increased wear and tear issues. Just his opinion. I am a happy hub-drive-with-throttle girl, so have no experience with mid drives.

There are lots of hub drive step thrus with throttles, if you are willing to try them. Are there bike shops near you with ebikes to try? My nearby conventional bike shops just carry class 1 and class 3 (no throttles) ebikes, but ebike specialty shops carry hub drive bikes with throttles. ?

Thanks for the responses, all!

Check our the FLX brand bikes with the Bafang M600 mid drive.

I'm a bit nervous about the legality of the higher speed cut-offs. Is that the case for all Bafangs? They look like fun, sporty bikes, though!

Sorry to read about your knee, I broke my leg at the knee last fall and was surprised how long recovery took, Evelo bikes use Bafang mid drives, I like the look of the Aurora mid-drive model that uses a bbs02 motor/25mph with throttle https://www.evelo.com/electric-bicycles/aurora/. Courts review https://electricbikereview.com/evelo/aurora/. Unsure what the current status is though with >750w motors and Nuvinci/enviolo cvp hubs see https://electricbikereview.com/foru...sues-with-davinci-n380-and-750w-motors.24863/. Other brands using Bafang mid drive motors include Biktrix, BMebikes, Luna Cycle, there are others.

Thanks! Evelo looks promising. I'm in Seattle so I'll check out their showroom soon.

What is your budget?

An important question. I'd prefer something similar to my $4500 MSRP Haibike that I picked up for $3k and change during a sale (plus a few hundred in upgraded light, stem, tires etc.). I love the Bosch motor system, so the "off-brand" feel motors like a bit of a downgrade but if the build is good, around $3500 is doable.

Hey Emma! I wonder… Why must it be a mid drive? Hub drives are terrific commuters. I was at my local independent bike repair shop (he doesn’t sell bikes) and he had a Haibike on the rack and an izip waiting and had a lot to say about how much maintenance mid drive bikes require. He said he recommends hub drives. I asked about flats and he said the ease of flat changes on mid drives in no way compensates for the increased wear and tear issues. Just his opinion. I am a happy hub-drive-with-throttle girl, so have no experience with mid drives.

There are lots of hub drive step thrus with throttles, if you are willing to try them. Are there bike shops near you with ebikes to try? My nearby conventional bike shops just carry class 1 and class 3 (no throttles) ebikes, but ebike specialty shops carry hub drive bikes with throttles. ?

I looked at a lot of options before I got my Haibike. I prefer the feel of a mid-drive. I know hub drives work great for a lot of people, and a I'll consider them if need be, but they're not my first choice.

I do wonder what types of mid-drive motors your LBC deals with--Bosch, Yamaha, and Brose all seem to have great limiters. I have a few thousand miles riding mostly in the highest assist (I like keeping up with traffic on my 25 mph route) on my Bosch Performance Speed and my hub/chain replacement schedule is in line with a conventional bike.

I have a Haibike speed pedelec, which I love. Unfortunately, the knee injury that first prompted me to get an ebike has been acting up with increased frequency and duration. After a month of forgoing my bike for a bus, I can make it 80% of the way to work without pain, but the 20% seems to set me up with pain for the rest of the day.

I'd love a bike that would allow me to ride without pedalling when necessary but still has a mid-drives for efficiency/riding style. A top speed of 28 mph would be a huge plus, but I'd take a 20 mph, too. I've seen old iZip reviews that mention a mid-drives + button/throttle set-up that I think would be perfect for my situation. However, I can't seem to find any 2019 models with the set up. Does such a set-up still exist at iZip/Raleigh or at other companies?

I've been super disheartened at the thought of not being able to commute by bike, and I don't love rear wheel drive ebikes. Any and all advice or bikes I should look at would be appreciated!
Bolton Bikes makes a 1000 watt mid drive fat tire bike. I have one. And love it. It comes with fenders and rear rack. I ride mine 95% on paved streets. Good luck on your quest!

Bolton Bikes makes a 1000 watt mid drive fat tire bike. I have one. And love it. It comes with fenders and rear rack. I ride mine 95% on paved streets. Good luck on your quest!
Thanks! Sadly, Seattle caps ebikes at 750 W or you need a motorcycle license. :/

The new Aurora from Evelo offers 500W and 750W Mid-Drive with the Nuvinci Hub and even an Automatic Transmission. Everything I want except fatter tires. Please note that when I asked these questions elsewhere the answers were surprising: 1) How many ebike owners have received a "ticket" for riding anything over what is considered "Street Legal"? Answer: None. 2) How many have even been stopped? Answer: Only a few -- not because of the speed, size of motor, or other "Street Legal" components exceeding the defined parameters. But because the local Law Enforcement / Park Rangers wanted to talk about their cool ebikes! So I wouldn't worry too much unless your new ebike is covered with decals declaring those excesses. I think 350W may be usable by lighter-weight individuals doing mostly flat surfaces. 500W gets you up smaller hills. 750W should be useful off-road and longer, bigger hills. That Aurora can handle 350lbs on the bike.

I agree on the Mid-Drive. It's got a lot of advantages, but typically costs more. Easier maintenance if you have a flat, for example. Stronger torque, and quicker response. Easier to steer. Climbs hills much better, and over a longer distance. Hub-Drives have a different advantage in smoother shifting (supposedly). Some people say the Hub-Dtrive feels more natural. Others say the Mid-Drive.

A quick word on that Automatic Transmission -- what a great concept! Do not confuse it with the typical Nuvinci shifter. Imagine this: Set your own cadence by simply peddling at your own comfortable rate. The Transmission adjusts, accordingly. No need to shift gears or worry about being in the right gear at a stop sign. No need to stop peddling to allow the Nuvinci to change gears. In fact, you no longer need a mounted shifter or trigger of any kind -- it is all controlled within your monitor! Like your car. You just go. Go fast. Go slow. Climb a hill. Coast. Easy-peasy, lemon-squeezy! Assuming, of course, this new system works as advertised. See an in-depth Review here: http://www.ebikeportal.com/nuvinci-n380-automatic-transmission-a-revolution-for-ebikes

Last edited:
There is a mid-drive version of the Pedego City Commuter that comes with a throttle.

Throttles on mid-drives are a unusual, because Europe doesn’t allow throttles and many mid-drives are designed for the European market. Bosch, I hear, is *very* anti-throttle.

Throttles on 28mph bikes are even more rare, because they're not legal in most of the US in addition to Europe. Class 3 ebikes can’t have throttles.

Back