Mid Drive wear & tear for long distance commute

Warren Ashton

I originally posted part of this in the Specialized sub-forum, but my question has become a bit more general so I figured it would get more eyes here!

I'm about to move to the suburbs and begin a 60 km (37.3 mi) daily commute (round trip). I really like the Haibikes, but I think I've been scared off of mid-mount ebikes due to not wanting to have to buy a new chain potentially once a month. According to everything I've read (so far), the mid drive bikes seem to put a lot of additional stress on the chain.

So for my commute:

60 km x 5 days/week x 52 weeks = 15,600 km / yr

If I take really good care, and the chain lasts 3000 km (which is unlikely, considering I live in perpetually rainy Vancouver, BC), that's 5+ chains / yr. If they last half as long on a mid-drive, that's a new chain each month (along with presumably having to change cassettes and other drive components more often as well).

Any advice? Am I being overly cautious? Thanks!

I originally posted part of this in the Specialized sub-forum, but my question has become a bit more general so I figured it would get more eyes here!

I'm about to move to the suburbs and begin a 60 km (37.3 mi) daily commute (round trip). I really like the Haibikes, but I think I've been scared off of mid-mount ebikes due to not wanting to have to buy a new chain potentially once a month. According to everything I've read (so far), the mid drive bikes seem to put a lot of additional stress on the chain.

So for my commute:

60 km x 5 days/week x 52 weeks = 15,600 km / yr

If I take really good care, and the chain lasts 3000 km (which is unlikely, considering I live in perpetually rainy Vancouver, BC), that's 5+ chains / yr. If they last half as long on a mid-drive, that's a new chain each month (along with presumably having to change cassettes and other drive components more often as well).

Any advice? Am I being overly cautious? Thanks!

Did you test ride Haibike? if so, are you ok with 20mph/32kmphr limit?
You need a large capacity battery! that's for sure.
I like the smoothness of Bosch engines but their batteries are severely limited and they did not have a Speed-pedelec in 2015.
Even then, Bosch/Yamaha require significant rider input. Yes, chainring, cassettes and chain wears out quicker with a mid-drive but I think it may last few months instead of just 1 month.
Another option is to get a mid-drive with a carbon gates belt drive + Alfine IGH.
Kalkhoff S11 or Tempo La Jolla bike.
Last fall, my commute was 100km round trip (3 days a week).
I really enjoyed the smoothness of ST2 for that commute. Give Specialzied Turbo or ST2 a try. Perhaps rent it for a day and see if it matches your need.

Last edited:
I really rate the Bosch system, but if this were me doing that kind of mileage day in day out, the ST2 would also get my vote.

A good chain has lasted me 5km on a mid drive, with more power and torque than the Bosch.

I also found that going to the heavier, step down cassette clusters like PG-950, $26, last longer and cheaper than the high end, PG-90, $72. more metal. Don't need the weight difference.

Chains will stretch, and wear the smallest cogs first.

Thanks everyone!

I have not actually test ridden a Haibike yet. The bikes I have tested so far are: a bike with a BionX system (can't remember which brand), and a Specialized Turbo X. Both were nice, but I've always preferred a sportier ride, and there are a bunch of Haibikes this year that use the new Bosch CX Drive that does 28mph:
  • Xduro Race S RX
  • Xduro Urban S RX
  • Xduro Trekking S RX
I guess the main things I'm interested in are:
  • Speed (anything to shorten the commute time!)
  • Reliability
  • Price (the ST2 costs 9K CAD up here, I'm looking to spend under 6K (4600 USD)
I also don't mind peddling the whole time! Going to see if I can try a mid drive system this weekend and see how that feels. Also I'll try and find a local shop that rents mid drive units. All I've been able to find so far are places that rent BionX systems.

Do try to get out on an easy motion bike too. I've got a haibike on order with @Crazy Lenny Ebikes but I think I will probably end up keeping my easy motion as well. They build solid bikes for decent prices and their motors will take you to 25mph even if the marketing only says twenty.

The ST1 is a very nice, very strong bike that would take that commute in stride and hold up to those kinds of miles (I think from the 3 months I owned 1). Love my Haibike but it wouldn't be first choice for a long commute like that. As noted you'll go through a lot of chains. You didn't mention sprockets but you'll be replacing those probably every couple of chains if youre lucky. Hub drives make a LOT of sense in your application.

I think they may be different specs. And it looks like they're in the middle of updating their site now, because if I switch to "Englisch" I see different models.

Oh hey, they actually have a US microsite now: https://www.haibike.com/de/de
  • XDURO Trekking S RX - Bosch Performance 350W
But that info differs slightly from what I found here: (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Too many options!!

Odds are ebikes of ne had better info since this is the first year the sduro bikes are being sold in the US. Since that is the case, their website should have the correct bike details (you'd think anyway!).

Back