mid drive w/ throttle ?

I never gave it much thought as my middrive has a throttle (iZip).
It is suppose to cut off at 20mph, I would guess that any production bike would be the same.
If you cannot source one, check out Luna, or any of those companies that build bafang mid drive bikes.

I never gave it much thought as my middrive has a throttle (iZip).
It is suppose to cut off at 20mph, I would guess that any production bike would be the same.
If you cannot source one, check out Luna, or any of those companies that build bafang mid drive bikes.
I believe the Surface 604 does.

Most quality production bikes don't have throttles as most markets don't allow them and in our experience most don't miss having a throttle when they get a quality pedal assist bike. It could also be the largest mid drive producer Bosch made a decision years ago that they'll never add a throttle to their system.

Claudia the head of Bosch ebike systems in North America stated it's due to safety and health reasons. It's simplistic to operate as you don't need to think about it, you just ride like you normally would and if you're always pedaling you're always getting some exercise, retaining the principals of a bicycle. I have to admidt I'm a bit biased since we only offer pedal assist in our store due to local regulations.

I hope this helps.

I have a 4" fat tire rear hub ebike and think of upgrading to a mid-drive. I use my current bike for single track trail riding and work commuting about 45-70 miles per week (depending on the weather). Having a throttle on my Radrover has really come in handy in both types of riding on a daily basis.

Sounds like I might have to scratch Bosch mid-drive off my list if it doesn't have an option for a throttle?

Does'nt anyone produce a mid drive e-bike with a throttle ? If not why? Thanks Carl.

Carl,

There are couple of good quality E-bikes with throttle or Boost feature. "Izip" bikes have this unique feature and I do think it can be handy for certain customers.
You press the button and it acts like a throttle.
image.png

Some of the bikes that can had with this boost feature are..

2016 Izip Dash and 2016 Izip Protour.
Protour_angle.png

001669_72dce8720970409f91e5a9d5decdc4b6~mv2.webp

You can check out Court's review here:

Even the 2017 Dash will accept this Boost control pad.

The iZip E3 Vibe+ and Raleigh IE Sprite also have mid-drives and both have a boost button option. I wouldn't own a bike without both PAS and a throttle or booster. It's good to have both options for varying circumstances. A throttle does not have to put a lot of strain on the chain when starting from a stopped position if you just remember to downshift before stopping.

I'm delivering a bike to a friend that I finished, it has a throttle, a Bafang mid-drive and an ERT controller. Makes over 3000 watts and does 45mph, with proper ramping programmed in, it's as gentle as a kitten. Or as wild as a tiger!;) I wouldn't have an ebike without a throttle or with a 20mph limit! Most cars do well over the posted speed on any road. The limit is common sense. Ebikes should be the same. This bike won't be driven at top speed, but when a really big hill, a heavy load or an unsafe situation demands it, it will be able to deal with it, and have power to spare, just like your car. If Europeans want to build weak, throttle less, 20mph Ebikes, let Europeans ride them! Americans like POWER! Just look at the forum pages that support the Bosch drive, people are constantly trying to 'hack' them to get more power. Why not just build Ebikes that have power and a throttle in the first place?!:)

I'm delivering a bike to a friend that I finished, it has a throttle, a Bafang mid-drive and an ERT controller. Makes over 3000 watts and does 45mph, with proper ramping programmed in, it's as gentle as a kitten. Or as wild as a tiger!;) I wouldn't have an ebike without a throttle or with a 20mph limit! Most cars do well over the posted speed on any road. The limit is common sense. Ebikes should be the same. This bike won't be driven at top speed, but when a really big hill, a heavy load or an unsafe situation demands it, it will be able to deal with it, and have power to spare, just like your car. If Europeans want to build weak, throttle less, 20mph Ebikes, let Europeans ride them! Americans like POWER! Just look at the forum pages that support the Bosch drive, people are constantly trying to 'hack' them to get more power. Why not just build Ebikes that have power and a throttle in the first place?!:)
You build ebikes

Does'nt anyone produce a mid drive e-bike with a throttle ? If not why? Thanks Carl.
Plenty. Biktrix with Bafang and Electra Townie with Bosch comes to mind. Luna has some, though it's been so badly bashed in a recent thread that I'm almost afraid to mention it :)... Same Bafang motor as in Biktrix though. About the fact that throttle on Bafang mid-drive works only after 15 kmh - not sure, this is a controller and programming feature, nothing prevents it from starting from standstill.

Many production mid-drive bikes come from Europe, and throttles weren't allowed there. I heard that's changing in some places, but I haven't confirmed this. I believe there are production mid-drive bikes available here in the US, but I can't think of which off the top of my head.

I'm longing for an ebike with mid-drive, throttle, and IGH, preferably a Nuvinci and a full suspension. I know it can be done.
Stealth Hardtail.jpg It can and has been done. Here is mine, not full suspension but it has a 1000watt Bafang mid-drive, a throttle and a Nu Vinci N360. It's super quiet, shifts smooth and does 34mph. I commute about 50 miles per day 2-3 days a week on this bike. I love it! I have been through Bosch training and have ridden many Bosch and Brose powered bikes, I like my DIY bike better by far! I would sell a Bosch powered bike if someone gave it to me! No throttle, No good! Not only is it a great commuter, but kickszumbut on the trails!
MudMotor.jpg

Back