Mid-drive vs hub motor: Experiences

This is a silly thread and comparison. It's about where and how you ride. But after testing the Bosch and Yamaha drives, well keep them. No throttle and simply anemic after riding a Bafang mid-drive. Nearly every version is quicker than Bosch and it's competition. Repairable for DIY. In the end, I've transitioned to MAC hubs 42T X 20T single speed. I could dial it up to do wheelies, instead, it's just quick to get up to speed. Cruise control is sweet! It can also be a battery miser.
Don’t need a throttle and I don’t need to extra power and the cost I weight and batteries it requires. I much rather have the efficiency reliability and the range.

I'm going to propose Mister Coffee's Law:

Any discussion thread on EBR eventually becomes a discussion mid-drives versus hub drives. Once this transformation happens no further constructive conversation is possible.

The vast majority of posters on this site only have experience with one e-bike. So they are poorly placed to offer constructive opinions on this topic, one way or the other. A lot of the posts on a thread like this are really statements that what the poster purchased is obviously the best. Which oozes self-justification and availability bias.

So my advice to readers of this thread is not to expect any deep insights. The best way to figure this stuff out is to get out and ride.

Back