May 2015 ST1 now on 3000km and going strong. Love it! It is the vehicle you take instead of the car.

Nic

I purchased my ST1 in May 2015. I live on the top of a mountain in Vancouver, BC, approx. 700m above sea level. I use the Stromer to commute down to sea level and back at least 2 times a week and my husband uses it to commute to work on occasion.

We opted for the ST1 because of the massive hills that we have to tackle if we go anywhere. I am glad we opted for this model and don't really miss the extra gears (all lower) or extra speed. I find that I do Full Power pretty much everywhere except when I am in stop and start traffic. Then I switch to Eco because everything else accelerates too quickly.

I have had 1 tiny issue with the bike. The contact point where you plug the charger into the frame has started wiggling around. Since it isn't a major issue I haven't rode the 50 minutes to bring it to the ebike shop. At about 2000km I had to replace the chain because I wasn't taking proper care of it after each rainy/salty ride (my bad and I can't fault Stromer for that one).

I bought the extra battery and so now have the 11 & 14.5, which is a real winner. I swapped out the seat to a women specific seat - my husband loved the stock seat, I REALLY hated it. I also bought the "City" package with the front/rear lights and fenders. I then bought two big ABUS locks and two waterproof Ortlieb panniers. They fit like a charm and everything looks really good. I got a Cygo Light Dash 350 for my helmut and put an extra Nightrider rear flashing light on the back. That way I am super visible - you need it when you are going much faster than cars expect you to.

I am very happy to have the extra battery. Often I commute to the gym in the morning, then my husband will grab the bike to go to work (swapping to the 2nd battery). The range is fantastic. I am 130lbs and it will take me anywhere I want to go. I went from North Vancouver to Parksville on Vancouver Island on 1.5 battery charges (roughly 120 kms). However, I don't think I will do that again. The upright stance is great for around the town but I missed my road bike for the longer distances. I also got a Burley Tail Wagon so I can tow the dog behind me in the buggy. With the Stromer I really don't notice any extra weight.

I am quite paranoid when I take it to public place, hence the 2 big ABUS locks. (People often think the locks are the batteries :). I sometimes bring a flexible lock as well to lock the front wheel. I have gone shopping in downtown Vancouver on Boxing Day, Christmas Eve, mid summer - and it's still been there when I got back. I feel that if thieves break through all of the locks then at least they've really had to work for it! I wish I was able to insure it like a car, but as it stands it is in a grey area, and to insure it would costs me hundreds of dollars a year. So I roll the dice and take my chances.

I find that the Stromer really evens out the massive hills in North Vancouver. On the downhill, I don't go as fast as on my road bike, as the regen kicks in. On the flat, I go reasonably fast, but you still have to work the pedals. The motor helps, but there is a limit. But wow, on the uphills it is a saviour - and there are a lot of hills in my area.

You have to be quite careful on the corners. I found that at first, I would put a big pedal stroke in mid corner and the motor would kick in in quite a big way. The momentum would swing me out into the lane much more than I anticipated. The other thing is that cars do not expect you to zoom uphill so quickly. I found that I would be cut off a lot by cars turning in front of me. The big blinding lights have helped a lot with that.

My husband, who is 240lbs, gets a much smaller range than I do (no surprise). But he can still easily bike to work and back on less than one charge - about 32km with massive hills and he still has 20% left in the small battery. It cuts about 25% time off his commute and he doesn't have to shower when he gets there.

I love this bike and would buy it again in a heartbeat. Today my car battery died so I strapped it to the rack and hauled it down to exchange for a new one. I do chores like that all the time! Or the massive bag of dog food that I sling over the rack to take home. I love doing outlandish chores on the bike.

This bike has saved me 3000km of car miles in 11 months. It's a pleasure to ride. I just wish they were cheaper so the whole family could each have one :)

Last edited:
Excellent report. I live in Chapel Hill NC, also a little hilly, and yes, the motor really saves one on those hills. Abus locks are the way to go. I didn't go to the expense of the Stromer city kit, but got some nice fenders in REI and some good high viz rechargeable lights (a lot cheaper!). And an REI pannier (a but of a pain to fit the rack as the bike has no rack bolts on the frame but you can get them to fit over the seat post). Sweet bike, and now its spring, can cycle very day!

@Nic well said.

If there's one thing I'd wish the public would understand is that eBikes are car replacements and are much more enjoyable.

Absolutely agree, JoePah. @Nic we've had a lot of customers looking for ways to haul the dog with them and the Burley Trailers are well built for both the 4-legged and 2 legged people :)

@Nic well said.

If there's one thing I'd wish the public would understand is that eBikes are car replacements and are much more enjoyable.
I completely agree. Everywhere I go I let people try my Stromer. They are shocked at how smooth it is and how effortless it is to ride. They always come back with a huge grin on their face.

I do try to emphasize that it is the bike I reach for when I am too tired to use my road bike. And with Vancouver's unpredictable traffic, it is very nice to know that I will get there at exactly the right time. I love not having to search for or pay for parking.

It is also fun being part of the Stromer community. There are a lot of them around Vancouver, and it is always nice when you are greeted by a fellow Stromer owner.

Absolutely agree, JoePah. @Nic we've had a lot of customers looking for ways to haul the dog with them and the Burley Trailers are well built for both the 4-legged and 2 legged people :)
Yes, it is definitely the way to go if you are towing children or a dog! I wish I had the Stromer when my kids were young - it would have really opened up the places we could go around town.
It was a little tricky to get the trailer hitch to fit properly - the bike mechanic had to enlarge the bolt hole, and then he could only thread it 3-4 times. He sprayed some lock-tight and then I always use the emergency strap around the rear triangle. It took me a while to figure out that it is easier to clip the emergency strap first, before attaching it to the bike. Once it is on, the strap is pulled very tight and it is trick to clip. I wish Burley's quick release skewer was just a little longer!

Back