Marin Team 1 w/ TSDZ2 & 7Ah Battery after a low-mileage year: Power Delivery and Battery Fade Improved

Catalyzt

Region
USA
Just a quick update on the Marin build. I know @PedalUma packed my motor in a lot of grease, and you'd expect the bike would get more efficient as that burns off, but I still am very pleasantly surprised by how well this motor and battery have broken in.

With 23 miles on the battery and 2,000 feet of vertical, I'm really not noticing any fade in power delivery. Previously, it seemed like I was noting a significant drop-off in power after 15 miles and 1,500 feet. I'm at that point (if you know the Tongshen) where the battery bounces around a lot between three bars and one bar, depending on terrain and level of assist, etc. In the first six months, it seemed like whenever it dropped beneath four bars, there was a little bit of battery fade that would get steadily worse.

And it's not like I've been training much recently, eiither-- it's a weird time of year when I'm switching back and forth between swimming, body boarding, and eBiking, and generally not eBiking as much as I do in the winter. Yesterday, actually, my symptoms were pretty bad, and the steep hills just were not that hard. Range on the battery may have decreased a little... I think I figured it at about 32 miles initially, it might be more like 28 or 30 now. Still frustrating not to have the two lowest gears, but I don't think there's any terrain within a 15-mile radius that the bike can't do... MAYBE one hill by the reservoir that I couldn't get up, or that would be very painful. And the long grind up Mt. Hollywood or Vista del Valle is not ideal given the gearing, but it's not that bad, either. Definitely would be easier on the FS eMTB, but would be slower, too.

And the riding position on the Marin w/ the handlebar riser and aftermarket grips is way easier on my back and hands. Been playing a lot more music, and the decrease in hand pain is very noticeable and very much appreciated. This is a way better bike for 10-20 mile fitness rides; not quite as nimble as the eMTB on dirt with little drops and rock gardens, but totally manageable, a better all-rounder on the daily.

I doubt I'm riding 500 miles a year, but so far, this is really working out well. Weird creaks and clatters have totally disappeared. Bike has had exactly zero service so far. Very happy.

Back