Magura EStop brake issue

Cuz Vinny

Haven’t ridden the Orange Crush Hydra in a while so I took it for a little spin. Halfway through my ride the rear brake basically stopped working, lever almost goes to the bar. Up until this the brakes have been awesome, firm with tons of stopping power. I looked the bike over and there are no signs of fluid anywhere. Caliper is clean and dry. No visible signs on the hose or connectors. Even popped the battery out and looked inside the bike to see if I could see signs of fluid. Lever is dry also. I must have lost fluid somewhere or sucked air into the system. Any suggestions?

Probably going to replace the brake and then look and see if I can figure out why this one died.

First thing would be to Bleed them and see if that works OK
Next you could swap cylinder/handle between left and right and see if the problem moves with it.
If the cylinder/lever system failed, it should be under warranty

Last edited:
I've had to bleed several of my Magura sets recently as the bikes have all been sitting around except one until recently. For most of them, I have been able to do the lever-flick method that does not require a full on bleed thru the system, from caliper to reservoir and back. But a couple have needed that. On some bikes its only one lever.

I discovered on my Envoy recently that it wasn't just the fluid, after I bled I still had a lot of travel so I looked and sure enough the front pads were down to 1mm. New ones solved the issue.

Do you have a bleed kit? I use this one. Only $13.

and the little bottle of fluid is fine.

By the way, I've found these to be really good replacements. I got the red ones. As you know I used to buy the 8.P pads direct from German sources for 1/3 of what they sell for in the USA but those sources have dried up. I took a chance on these (did it before years ago once and it was OK) and I cannot tell the difference between these and an 8.P pad

I've had to bleed several of my Magura sets recently as the bikes have all been sitting around except one until recently. For most of them, I have been able to do the lever-flick method that does not require a full on bleed thru the system, from caliper to reservoir and back. But a couple have needed that. On some bikes its only one lever.

I discovered on my Envoy recently that it wasn't just the fluid, after I bled I still had a lot of travel so I looked and sure enough the front pads were down to 1mm.

Do you have a bleed kit? I use this one. Only $13.

and the little bottle of fluid is fine.

This bike has been sitting for a while because I’ve been using the Fat Hydra. I can do the brake bleed but IMO if I’m losing fluid somewhere I should be able to find it.

I have found with the magura brakes that if you turn the bike upside down for much time at all that the brakes always need bled afterwords. Don’t know why and don’t know if it is just the few sets I own, but do know it has happened a number of times.

This is exactly what happened to my rear Magura brake as reported - just failed completely (while on the stand!). Ended up switching to Shimano as the wait for the Magura replacement was dragging on and on.

This is exactly what happened to my rear Magura brake as reported - just failed completely (while on the stand!). Ended up switching to Shimano as the wait for the Magura replacement was dragging on and on.
I have them on three bikes and this is the first time I’ve had any issues. Somewhere there is a leak and I lost fluid or air got into the system. Gonna remove the brake from the bike and inspect it.

see you got to ride more. my Shimano 4 piston needed bled after my bike fell over it landed on the pannier so not a hard fall either.

see you got to ride more. my Shimano 4 piston needed bled after my bike fell over it landed on the pannier so not a hard fall either.
This happened when I was riding. Went to use the rear brake and the lever went almost to the bar. Prior to this no issues. Front brake is perfect. Have to have a fluid leak somewhere but I haven’t found it yet.

This happened when I was riding. Went to use the rear brake and the lever went almost to the bar. Prior to this no issues. Front brake is perfect. Have to have a fluid leak somewhere but I haven’t found it yet.
I'll be very interested in your final diagnoses.

Since I have (probably) the same brakes on my UC Pro I'll be following this thread to see if Cuz V can find the problem.
If you 'pump' the lever does the pressure in the handle come back up at all?

Since I have (probably) the same brakes on my UC Pro I'll be following this thread to see if Cuz V can find the problem.
If you 'pump' the lever does the pressure in the handle come back up at all?
Nope. I check the caliper, hose (except inside the swingarm), and the lever. No visible signs of a leak. Gonna try topping it off with fluid like someone suggested. If that doesn’t work I’ll take the brake off the bike and inspect it.

I have three bikes with Pandora. One five series and two 7 series. The five series I’ve been working very well for a year but it’s set for over two months and I want to use it and there was almost no pressure on the brakes. I bled them and found the front plastic handle had cracked and was leaking. Other than that it working fine now. I also had an issue with the rear not releasing one time. They do work very hard for me so perhaps it’s just the heavy use

it took a couple rides to really show its self. like it was a little mushy till I lived it onto my stand and that was it it was totally gone.

Mine was not a bleeding issue though that’s what I originally assumed and there was 0 leakage - it was quite the mystery. It went from ‘working fine’ to ‘nothing’.

Mine was not a bleeding issue though that’s what I originally assumed and there was 0 leakage - it was quite the mystery. It went from ‘working fine’ to ‘nothing’.
Same here. My guess is air got in the system somehow. I just need to figure out where.

I have found with the magura brakes that if you turn the bike upside down for much time at all that the brakes always need bled afterwords. Don’t know why and don’t know if it is just the few sets I own, but do know it has happened a number of times.
Are your reservoirs full?

The Magura handles are definitely the weak link. They are excellent breaks other than being a little weak and can’t crack in the hydraulic area of the handle.

Titanium Cross tour MT7
I broke the cutoff wire ( between the lever and the Higo plug) in a crash. Everything else in the braking unit survived. Can the entire Higo connection wire be replaced or is a new lever assembly required.. Thanks, JJ

Ps wire is too short to simply splice back together.

Back