Magura EStop brake issue

I read somewhere that those motor cut out wires are cheap enough and prone to getting snagged enough that we should have a spare on hand. Would love to know cost and source if you get a new one.

The brake handle plastic pins are a bit pricey - $17 or $27. "(Batt pin.)"

I read somewhere that those motor cut out wires are cheap enough and prone to getting snagged enough that we should have a spare on hand. Would love to know cost and source if you get a new one.

I emailed the Watt wagons crew from the support link. I’ll report back when they respnd

I posted this in your other thread
Below is a video on how to disassemble the wire to change the switch.
If you are good with a solder iron, you should be able to replace the whole wire :)

Mine didn't come with the E-stop handles/wires installed, I was looking into sourcing those to install them myself. Does anyone have a lead on those parts?

check the thread below

FYI… LOYALTY30 will save you some $$

Hello Jeff, your message has been passed to me from Magura Germany and I’m Glad to respond.

The E-brake wire/switch are not offered or available as an individual part unfortunately; you will need to replace the lever Blade; see link be low for the replacement and to help out on price, use promo code LOYAL30 for discounted pricing.
Magura USA | MT Lever Blades - Carbotecture MT5 LEVER BLADE W/EBIKE SWITCH (magurausa-shop.com)

Best Regards………….

I just ordered some brake levers from Starbike at this link:

but shortly after realized that there's two versions, a normally-open switch (NO) and a normally-closed switch (NC), does anyone know what our controller supports? I might have to cancel my order lol. I also don't know if I need to buy a wiring harness to hook them up to the controller (https://california-ebike.com/products/ultra-special-ebus-cable-magura?_pos=3&_sid=d92ad5e18&_ss=r), I didn't see any disconnected wires in the chassis of my bike so I don't know where I would route the cables.

Quick edit: Scrambler posted the link to change the state of the switch from NO to NC so I guess it doesn't matter entirely what I've got coming! Still need to know how to hook them up though 😂

Everything I am reading says it should be a Normally Open (or closer) switch that closes the circuit and sends a signal when the lever is pulled.

But I have not found a definite answer for the Bafang cut off system

Everything I am reading says it should be a Normally Open (or closer) switch that closes the circuit and sends a signal when the lever is pulled.

The ones that I ordered were NO, so hopefully I won't have to do any switch modifications.

The wiring harness I am not sure on so I may reach out to WW to ask if they've hidden the brake connectors in the downtube above the battery lock or if I need to purchase a new harness. That California Ebike one looks pretty good.

bafang-ultra-wiring-diagram-3-jpg.100312

fetch

Last edited:
Reactions: rtp
I just measured mine to be normally open. (They were conveniently off the bike as I switched to two finger levers.) Normally closed would be annoying when the wire breaks and your motor won't run.

I just measured mine to be normally open. (They were conveniently off the bike as I switched to two finger levers.) Normally closed would be annoying when the wire breaks and your motor won't run.
Perfect, thanks!

I saw that Starbike had the levers in stock a week or so ago but it seems they might be awaiting more stock now. Shouldn't have waited 😅

Bafangs are NO. Closers. I have several sets in use. First ride on this one today.

EDIT: Common when these brakes fail: They fail Open so the motor is not disabled. The typical complaint is that the cutoff does not engage, so thats NO. BTW ... anecdotally (based on seeing failures reported on all manner of brakes on Bafang systems over the years on many different fora) the failure is seldom due to the lever side. Its usually a fault somewhere along the Bafang harness or at the connection.
pxl_20220411_172347680[1].jpg

Last edited:
BTW looking at the prices you all are seeing in the links above illustrates why I never buy MT5's (or MT Thirty is what Magura seems to call them this year) and try to retrofit them to an MT5e. It always makes more sense to buy a set of MT5e's out of the gate because either the lever or the whole lever assembly is going to run you about US$50. The MT5e's you see above, purchased a month or so ago, ran me about US$135. MT5's (both in a caliper+hose+lever kit minus rotors) are around US$110... so the math doesn't work if you want to buy levers later.

For the life of me I don't understand why anyone would buy the eStops (the eStops are different from the MT5e's). They are just MT5's with silver accents and the less-capable green 4-pc Type 8 pads vs the 2-pc Type 9 P (Performance) pads. 4 pc pads give more torque, the Performance compound is more aggressive than the green 'e' pads, but not unduly so. I'd call the pad difference a wash. And the eStops run about $70 more per axle than these MT Thirtys that run $107.

These are the MT5e's I bought last month. They've gone up $30 since I bought them ($160 vs. $130) , but there's still plenty of them available.

Last edited:
All the bafang 'Y'' connectors are too short to start with. One has to solder some reasonable wires in. There is no other realistic solution.
Please, why would anyone want the brakes locked closed ?
$103.00 plus shipping at: https://www.starbike.com/en/magura-...uOc5gPHp9JStH4cJuJymdSKvnBoC8OgQAvD_BwE#39215
$135.00 at others and $138.00 at Amazon.
The wires are pointed at a goofy angle - out front. They should flow unobtrusively with the cables. Look design looks like 'a bad hair day' tangle.
The problem is bafang only licenses Chinese builders to make certain specific length cables with their crappy, molded connectors that cannot be changed or purchased.
Do what you want. I'll make a custom harness - out of decent spec wire - and dump the rats nest.
Magura's limited by bafang's patents. I'm not.

Fn'F

All the bafang 'Y'' connectors are too short to start with. One has to solder some reasonable wires in. There is no other realistic solution.
I've only needed extensions on one bike over the years. A red-to-yellow extension/converter cable is not easy to find, but they are out there. I bought 8 of them last time I saw them on sale. From a California seller (Luna). Regardless, the length is fine. Like 6 inches for the lever and another 6 on the wiring harness. Thats a lot of cable to work with on a set of handlebars. And there's always a wiring harness extension on the motor side to add about two feet to the whole harness if you're doing some custom frame with the BB in another time zone.
The problem is bafang only licenses Chinese builders to make certain specific length cables with their crappy, molded connectors that cannot be changed or purchased.
What? Not true. And those 'crappy molded connectors? You mean the HIGO/Julets? The ones that are best available? What do you think is better? JSTs or something? Regardless this 'licensing' thing you're saying is wrong. Julets are a common standard sold by multiple manufacturers to a common spec ... and wire is wire. Bafang has nothing to do with licensing anything. You want a Bafang wiring harness that uses red plugs with no adapters? Here it is: California Ebike sells them and ships USPS Priority Mail. My red bike and most of my other ones use them. Those that don't use cables from ebike-technologies.de who I think still sells short adapters.

And again if you have some kind of weird frame, just do a red cable extension. This one ships from California (California Ebike) and is not cheap at $20.

Here's another one sold from Area 13. Pretty sure that 35" length is a misprint and its 35 cm.

There are plenty of other sellers out there. You just have to look.

German web sites typically sell Magura brakes (and, particularly, pads) cheaper. I usually use bike-discount.de or Rose. Didn't check either of them for this thread.

Just spoke with Greg at WW, sounds like they've been tucking the extra brake connectors inside the downtube above the upper battery locking cradle, so that's good news!

Back