Magnum Peak Thread

Hi All

Got myself a Magnum peak 3 month ago and have been really enjoying it, have used the car very little in that time. I'm based in Wellington New Zealand ride 20km into work then back pretty flat but we do get some crazy wind here that feels like a hill but the bike pushes through nicely and I find myself getting into work faster than in the car. Full power assist 6 all the way sees me average 38kmph now rideing on Schwalbe land cruisers, great multi purpose tyre.

I have had a couple of issues interested on any feedback

Took the bike up a muddy trail was a 400m fairly steep climb so assist 6 and pushed up in easiest gear without issue then the downhill through a stream to finish, it handled really well however the next day my speedo had stopped working and although I had power the bike would shut down into power save mode. Dropped it back to the shop and they said the motor had burnt out due to high wattage and taken out the speedo sensor, it was replaced under warrenty. They then went on to tell me that NZ hills are steeper than USA hills and I should limit the power and the terrain as bike wasn't designed for that terrain etc etc which we then had a small diagreement of course, from what I can see on the Magnum site and reviews the bike should be able to handlt this, shouldn't the motor have cut out if there was too much power? what if I sat on the throttle can it not handle that? see pics, any thoughts

Got that sorted and then the week after I was commuting to work and got caught in some rain, got into work to find the battery wouldn't switch off and the light were flashing. I removed from the bike took it into the office for the day when I rode home the bike kept on switching off and wouldn't stay on. I charged it, still won't switch off so a new one is onway under warrenty. Does make me question whether the bike can handle rain, I suspect water got in via the switch which doesn't look that water tight or I have a faulty component. Anyone had this problem? shop did say they hadn't seen it before.

Cheers Mike

Hi Mike

I had similar problem with my Battery, ie the battery would cycle on then switch off. I am not sure it was due to water although come to think of it I was riding through a bit of rain prior to this happening. Battery replaced and all good again.

Bit concerned about the burning out the motor though?

Cheers

Glenn

Hi Mike

I had similar problem with my Battery, ie the battery would cycle on then switch off. I am not sure it was due to water although come to think of it I was riding through a bit of rain prior to this happening. Battery replaced and all good again.

Bit concerned about the burning out the motor though?

Cheers

Glenn

Yep I know, feel like I need to trust the bike, I might write to Magnum direct see what they say.

hopefully they are refining the design on battery, I'll be taking off if I wash the bike. It could do with a plastic cover.

Hi there

Does anyone use the propriety magnum rack on their Magnum Peak 27.5 and use ortlieb panniers? I am unsure if they’d fit on the rear rack or they’d sit too far forwards and hit your feet?

Cheers

Hi there

Does anyone use the propriety magnum rack on their Magnum Peak 27.5 and use ortlieb panniers? I am unsure if they’d fit on the rear rack or they’d sit too far forwards and hit your feet?

Cheers
I just ordered a set of Ortliebs. I'll let you know.

Back