Magic Pie, Golden Motor Kit

Nebula722

It has been suggested that I talk about my Magic Pie ebike kit. I opted to purchase the 1,000 watt motor with the 48 volt battery. I love it.

Let me back up a little. Due to minor neurological problems I was having problems driving and was becoming home bound and thought my retirement years were going to be years spent at home. So I bought a factory made from the ground up ebike and I bought a top brand. This top brand broke down all of the time. It left me without any power three times and this type of motor is hard to pedal so I got rid of this bike.

I wandered into a bicycle shop and there was a bicycle with a kit by Magic Pie installed. The shop manager was smart enough to see I was interested and encouraged me to take a test ride. I didn't even get across the parking lot and I knew I wanted one.

This kit with a good bike is less than the factory ebike I had that fell apart, much more powerful and has a cruise control which the other bike did not have. The Magic Pie has been very reliable.

I simply set the cruise at a reasonable speed and pedal along.

This bike can't do all the things a much more expensive kit may do but is a very good basic entry level kit.

I've been looking into Magic Pie kits since reading posts from Nebula722. I hope with Neb's starting this thread that Court will start a manufacturer sub-forum for Magic Pie owners. There are a lot of written and video reviews on the net along with manufacturer and dealer videos, such as:

And text:
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
http://www.goldenmotor.com/magicpie/magicpie.html

I have a factory ebike but have been looking into kits for a friends bike and have also thought about converting an old Raleigh MTB. I still want to do some more research on the Magic Pie kits but from what I understand so far M.P. offers an extremely wide range of products, including down-tube batteries, PAS and cruise control. And are currently on version 4 of their combination motor/controller, so they have been around for awhile. If YOU can add any information to this thread, any at all, it could help builders or wannabe builders like myself.

JR

I've been looking into Magic Pie kits since reading posts from Nebula722. I hope with Neb's starting this thread that Court will start a manufacturer sub-forum for Magic Pie owners. There are a lot of written and video reviews on the net along with manufacturer and dealer videos, such as:

And text:

I have a factory ebike but have been looking into kits for a friends bike and have also thought about converting an old Raleigh MTB. I still want to do some more research on the Magic Pie kits but from what I understand so far M.P. offers an extremely wide range of products, including down-tube batteries, PAS and cruise control. And are currently on version 4 of their combination motor/controller, so they have been around for awhile. If YOU can add any information to this thread, any at all, it could help builders or wannabe builders like myself.

JR

The only thing is I had a 29" wheel and it kept breaking spokes. The tall wheel also had handling problems. I have the hub motor being re laced to a 24" wheel to go on my trike. I have had no problems with my 26" wheel.

It has been suggested that I talk about my Magic Pie ebike kit. I opted to purchase the 1,000 watt motor with the 48 volt battery. I love it.

Let me back up a little. Due to minor neurological problems I was having problems driving and was becoming home bound and thought my retirement years were going to be years spent at home. So I bought a factory made from the ground up ebike and I bought a top brand. This top brand broke down all of the time. It left me without any power three times and this type of motor is hard to pedal so I got rid of this bike.

I wandered into a bicycle shop and there was a bicycle with a kit by Magic Pie installed. The shop manager was smart enough to see I was interested and encouraged me to take a test ride. I didn't even get across the parking lot and I knew I wanted one.

This kit with a good bike is less than the factory ebike I had that fell apart, much more powerful and has a cruise control which the other bike did not have. The Magic Pie has been very reliable.

I simply set the cruise at a reasonable speed and pedal along.

This bike can't do all the things a much more expensive kit may do but is a very good basic entry level kit.

Just FMI, what ebike did you have a problem with? It's good to know.

And text:

JR

Good Morning JR. I totally forgot to tell you about the rack. The rear rack that bolts down at the axle is junk. I had the rack for about 200 miles and the welds broke. I do not know about the seat post rack offered by Golden Motors.

When my rack broke I went to the Walmart site and found a rack that was rated for over fifty pounds and it has the extra metal guards to keep the saddle bags out of the spokes. The Walmart rack has been solid with not problems. I had to figure out a way to mount the battery plate to the rack but that turned out not to be a big problem.

I believe the Golden Motors 48 volt, 1000 watt, third generation to be one of the best values for the dollar. Even with the 36 volt and the 500 or 750 motors it is a good value. I paid right at $1,000.00 for the system. I added a $400.00 bike and I have a great ebike. I then added fenders, 750 lumen light, tail lamp, computer, bell and mirror. I very much like being able to have the choice to have the bike and all the accessories be of my choice. I enjoyed building my custom ebike and etrike.

I would be interested in knowing what kit you settled on and why. I have one more trike I want to build and I already have the trike. The kit will have to go on the front wheel and I am looking for a low power system as the forks tend to bend with the larger watt motor.

There is another problem that just popped into my mind. I have found the axle nuts comes loose on a regular basis. I think it is because of the power. I know of another rider with a Golden Motors 1000 watt kit with the same problem. He also has several 500 watt bikes and they never come loose. I just keep a wrench in the saddle bag and tighten them every day. I also check the axle nuts if I am out for more than 15 miles.

I think Courts reviews are great and I have watched dozens of them but there is nothing like a thousand mile test drive.

Gotta go for a ride, later.

Tommy T

From some of my previous posts people may get the idea I'm against conversions, quite the contrary if a person does their homework first. I have a Golden Motor Magic pie 3 conversion I did on a Schwinn 411, running 700c wheels and mechanical disk brakes. Not the highest quality components but after over 5 years the thing is still going strong and super fun to ride. Running 48 volts I am pushing 1000watts and gps shows an honest 35mph under throttle only. Since then I've accumulated a stable of personal manufactured e-bikes but my conversion still holds a soft spot in my heart. Not the most pretty but the satisfaction of doing it myself and sidestepping the legal speed limits just appeals to the outlaw in me. I've had offers close to what I have stuck in her but just can't seem to let her go, maybe one day. Anyway found the Golden Motor offerings to be very easy to work with, just one word of caution is that I chose to work with Gary Salo of Golden Motors Canada. I paid slightly more compared to direct from China but received excellent support and a comprehensive forum to help resolve any issues. Gary also has a lot of YouTube videos which help clarify all aspects of assembly and settings. I have also used Golden Motors on some trike conversions due to my positive experience. Look forward to working with their generation 4 line with sine wave control in the future. Good luck with your project, take your time, and don't expect to get your money back out in the end. Sorry for your bad experience with manufactured bike but remember if you go to a conversion that if things don't work out your recourse is even more limited at least with a manufactured bike you have a warrantee.

Converting bikes to eBikes could be a really nice little side business for someone (or several someones) because I bet there are many people like me: would love a great purpose-built eBike, but has neither the skills nor the tools nor the knowledge to convert it themselves. I have no interest in doing major mechanical things (Yes, I count this as 'major'). I don't work on my car either, for the record. I do, however, put gas and fluids in it, and air in the tires, but that's it.

There is another problem that just popped into my mind. I have found the axle nuts comes loose on a regular basis.
Hey Tommy,
Your axle nuts; what about a star washer to give the nuts a little bite to the frame?

Just make sure you always use a new one. Lock washers are never to be reused. You can get star washers at any hardware store, SS would be best.

work with Gary Salo of Golden Motors Canada.
Thanks, lilrich. I would purchase from Gary Salo, he has put a lot of information out there about the Magic Pie kits. Good videos. Not ready to pull that trigger yet but looking into it.

JR

Last edited:
Converting bikes to eBikes could be a really nice little side business for someone (or several someones) because I bet there are many people like me: would love a great purpose-built eBike, but has neither the skills nor the tools nor the knowledge to convert it themselves. I have no interest in doing major mechanical things (Yes, I count this as 'major'). I don't work on my car either, for the record. I do, however, put gas and fluids in it, and air in the tires, but that's it.
In the process right now of moving into a new private shop and this is one of many projects I am open to work on. Private message me for more details.

What area of the country are you in? The best economy for this type of project is to live within a couple hour drive of the person (IMO).

Hey Tommy,
Your axle nuts; what about a star washer to give the nuts a little bite to the frame?

Just make sure you always use a new one. Lock washers are never to be reused. You can get star washers at any hardware store, SS would be best.

Thanks, lilrich. I would purchase from Gary Salo, he has put a lot of information out there about the Magic Pie kits. Good videos. Not ready to pull that trigger yet but looking into it.

JR

J.R.

That s a great idea. I forgot all about this type of lock washer. The split lock washer was pretty thick and I did not want to use them as the nuts were way at the end of the axle and were not completely on.

Another thing I like about Magic Pie is the power cable does not come out of the end of the axle. The cable comes out on the inside of the frame where it is protected.

Thanks for tip!

Tommy

I've just ordered and installed the latest GM MP4 "kit" to an older EVG PE (Police Edition 2000) ebike. I'm a fan of the sine-wave controller and too desired to maintain the stock front/rear lights/horn from the EVG. I kept the stock left brake level to keep the excellent rear brake light function, besides the regen braking was a bit tricky with included brake level!

I installed HK Nano tech 44.4 (50v)/8ah batteries in the stock battery box, for ease of removing.

I'm getting 25-26mph (195lbs) on level ground with the current voltage battery pack, though intend to try a 60v pack soon to see if it gets to the claimed 28mph limit.

I've yet installed to the PAS system to test for speed and performance.

And I've just ordered a second MP4 "kit" with the same GM LED dash and PAS w/their front light and rear LED light to test, though am having the R&D department use a different winding to increase the top end speed. My goal is to match or exceed my Tidalforce S750X level speed of 31.5mph. :)

The installation was simple and straight forward with a 11t/30t rear freewheel and I upgraded the front chainring to 46t (max) for top end pedaling. The optional LED dash works well too, once adjusted.

The performance is dead silence as with my TF. The MP4 rear hub (26") works very well as designed, it's just that I require more torque and top end speed. :)

I've just ordered and installed the latest GM MP4 "kit" to an older EVG PE (Police Edition 2000) ebike. I'm a fan of the sine-wave controller and too desired to maintain the stock front/rear lights/horn from the EVG. I kept the stock left brake level to keep the excellent rear brake light function, besides the regen braking was a bit tricky with included brake level!

I installed HK Nano tech 44.4 (50v)/8ah batteries in the stock battery box, for ease of removing.

I'm getting 25-26mph (195lbs) on level ground with the current voltage battery pack, though intend to try a 60v pack soon to see if it gets to the claimed 28mph limit.

I've yet installed to the PAS system to test for speed and performance.

And I've just ordered a second MP4 "kit" with the same GM LED dash and PAS w/their front light and rear LED light to test, though am having the R&D department use a different winding to increase the top end speed. My goal is to match or exceed my Tidalforce S750X level speed of 31.5mph. :)

The installation was simple and straight forward with a 11t/30t rear freewheel and I upgraded the front chainring to 46t (max) for top end pedaling. The optional LED dash works well too, once adjusted.

The performance is dead silence as with my TF. The MP4 rear hub (26") works very well as designed, it's just that I require more torque and top end speed. :)
Before you go with the 60v make sure the MP controller FETs will handle it. I have not worked with the new sine wave controller yet but know the MP3 warned that 60v was the limit on the FETs and exceeding that limit possibly burned them out and voided the warrantee. Just FYI and good luck.

Always nice to drift onto a forum and find people saying nice things about you :)

To address a few posts..

If the nuts are coming loose on your wheel, your wheel is rocking in the dropouts. It may actually come off. Lock washers are not the answer, torque arms are.

If you are breaking spokes its likely an earlier kit. With our new spoke patterns and spokes this issue is pretty much non existent.

The Standard rack does have issues. In most cases they are fine. Where they usually fail is when people overload them or actually partially sit on them because of their location is uptight behind the seat. It is only rated for 20 pounds. I have sold hundreds of the racks and replaced a dozen or so. I don't use them myself as I really tend to overload them. Most of my bikes have 2 batteries or more with additional saddles bags etc. I custom make my own racks or use a great one from axiom. Its rated at one hundred pounds.

Yes I do make videos. I love sharing the information. Usually they come about with new products or people repeatedly asking the same questions. I have a few new ones coming out soon. Many people tell me they like my videos as they are not artist conceptions or sales pitches, just a guy that loves ebikes and making videos to share experiences. Most of my videos are one take. Especially the test ride ones. I want to say what I am feeling at the time rather then inputting a polished script later.

I always appreciate hearing there are top tech guys around and Rich is likely one of those guys. But if you want a complete e-geek on Golden Motor Products "Alan" is second to no one in our forum. The guy is amazing and deserves a round of applause when he enters any room of Golden Motor ebikers.

I see some saying it would be beyond them to assemble an ebike kit. Frankly our Magic/Smart Pie 4 Vector kits could not be simpler. Anyone that has ever worked on a bicycle as a kid changing a flat tire, tightening a chain or adjusting brake cables should find it an easy weekend project.

Another post about my prices being higher. I would challenge anyone in North America to go to the Golden Motor Chine site (www.goldenmotor.com) or my site Golden Motor Canada (www.goldenmotor.ca) add any magic pie kit to the cart and see their final price with shipping and mine (for mine you have to view the cart and click get shipping estimate). Also set the currency on my site to USD for a even comparison. My site will definitely be a lot less. And I actually give product support and a legitimate warranty.

I saw Courts review and video (I hope I have the name right) and after some clicking over time I ended up here. Most of the information in the video is good, One thing at the beginning he mentions no 29er wheels. A 29er is just a 700c with a fat tire. I converted and ride my 29er daily with an MP4 rear kit on it. Its the bike featured in my MP4 test ride video.

Anyway I have addressed a lot of things here. I intended to just drop a note saying hi, but as usual I over did it and threw a lot of information out there. I hope it was helpful to at least one person. Then it was all worth it.

If you need any further information, checkout my ebikes, website, FAQ, Forum, Videos, send and email or just give me a call.

Enjoy the Ride!
Gary

BTW: There is no 'S' in Golden Motor. Golden Motors is a Cadillac dealer in California.

This whole Golden Motor conversation has been very helpful.
I have been all over the map with my ebike research. From a Pedego Cruiser test ride to Lengthy and great conversations with the Evelo folks.
In the end my favourite idea is to buy a Golden Motor Magic Pie 4 with a 48 v battery. And then stick this into my old well loved beater bike.
The price tag of 1200$ Canadian is still holding me back. But over time I'm sure this is the route I will go.
Why you may ask? Here is why:
1. With this kit I will presumably not be stuck at 32 kmh especially when I am on backcountry roads and no one is around.
2. I can switch it to a nicer bike when I have the money.
3. And it costs way less money than all the fancy named gear out there.

Thanks for all the info

Wolfgang

Back