M2S R750 Sport Tire Choice

Frogman Dave

Hi all. I'm new to this forum and need a little help. I have ordered the new 2020 R750 Sport through M2S's Kickstarter campaign. I am still trying to decide between the large regular frame or the step through. I am 60 years old so certainly no spring chicken, 5' 11" tall with a 32" inseam. Because I have back issues I am looking for something that has a very upright seating position. I know the step through will have a shorter reach to the bars so that should help in that regard. I will ride it back and forth to work but getting somewhere in a hurry is not my main concern. Cruising around on a cool looking 'fatty' bike is more my style. I really like the looks of a fatty bike and those 4.5" will be really 'fat'! Plus I really like the look of the step through and getting on and off of the saddle should be a little easier with that frame. Anyone about my size have the step through? What are you thoughts as to the general ride of that bike?

I only live 3 miles from my work so battery longevity is not really an issue and I am purchasing the 21 Ah battery. My real reason for this thread is to ask opinions as to tire choice. I am leaning toward the 4.5" tires but am also considering the 3" tires. The regular frame will have 29" rims and the ST will have 27.5" rims if I buy the 3" version. Both models have the 26" rims if I choose the 4.5" tires. I know the 4.5" tires will do much better as far as adding to the suspension of the bike. Comfort is very important to me because of the back issues. But I realize the 3" tires will have a good amount of 'bounce' to them as well. Most of my riding will be on city streets. From what I have read the fat tires cut down on battery life by about 20%. So where I am needing help is what are the real world effects on overall rideability and battery life if I choose smaller rim fat tires? I realize this question is completely subjective but all opinions are welcome.

Thanks all,
Dave

I too was thinking of the step thru. I gave some real long thoughts of getting on and off quickly and easily. Would it be secure, would I fall out if it tipped. I'm not a smaller size.
Think of what your needs are. If you live in the burbs with access to off road then maybe this is the right choice.
My pick was the Sport R500 commuter model. Mainly city riding.
When it arrived my tire heavy tires are noisy and the bike was slow to react on the pavement. Size is 27.5" large and fast. So I ordered a pair of new Schwalbe Marathon tires. The original heavy off road gravel tread tires was not helping on city streets. Bigger the tire, smoother and faster the ride is.

You can buy it with 2 sets of wheels like I am doing with my Allterrain Ultramax HT. Originally came with 26" 4.5" fats, which are amazing in softer conditions but not so great for performance on pavement. I have the rear 27.5" 3" wheel and waiting for the front which was lost in shipping. I would have preferred smooth 2.3" tires but can switch them out later.
One thing that you should note is that the 27.5/3" wheelset will lower the bike over an inch and make it handle much more 'sporty' without costing you much in ride smoothness if you run lower pressure. Knowing what I've learned by riding mine, I would have gotten a 27.5"/3" bike with the Ultramax if I could do it again. Definitely loving that powerful motor.

Also have the 2020 R750's on order, one each for the wife and I. We went with the 3" tire because 90+% of our riding will be on roads or packed trail and the 4.5" tire seemed to be overkill. I'll be getting the XL frame and she the Step Through. Now eagerly awaiting their arrival.

Also have the 2020 R750's on order, one each for the wife and I. We went with the 3" tire because 90+% of our riding will be on roads or packed trail and the 4.5" tire seemed to be overkill. I'll be getting the XL frame and she the Step Through. Now eagerly awaiting their arrival.

I just ordered the same for the wife and I but they no longer offered the 3" on the step-thru. I didn't want her to have a different size so I went with the 4.5" on both. I wish I could have gone with the 3".

I just ordered the same for the wife and I but they no longer offered the 3" on the step-thru. I didn't want her to have a different size so I went with the 4.5" on both. I wish I could have gone with the 3".

Yukon Bob,

You can get 3" tires on the ST. They come on a 27.5" rim whereas the regular frame has 29" rims. I can't remember who I was emailing with but I was told you can get 3's or 4.5's on both frames.

Yukon Bob,

You can get 3" tires on the ST. They come on a 27.5" rim whereas the regular frame has 29" rims. I can't remember who I was emailing with but I was told you can get 3's or 4.5's on both frames.
" Quotes from the emails I just received Friday from
Shaughn Zaleski

"The Step Thru Sport (27.5x3") was a limited run for our Kickstarter campaign, and I do not have any left from that first production run. I understand that she may want to be on the same wheel standard as you, so perhaps going with the fat tire platform on both bikes will be the way to go. "

"I can definitely get you on the Green/Black frames with rack and fenders! The Step Thru frame option comes with 24"x4" fat tires exclusively at this point in time, but I can assure you they are not a small wheel, and the bike does not look like a "mini-bike". The Fat Tire profile has that bike sitting very much as a full size model, with the slightly smaller wheel only aiding in stand over clearance for riders that are shorter than 5'7" "

Slightly bummed but no big deal. I am sure they will be a blast no matter what size. We are looking forward to the first week of June when we should be getting them.

Back