Luna Support has been very good for me

smorgasbord

Region
USA
I bought two bikes from Luna (Dec 2019 and Feb 2020) and have had occassions to use Luna's support process/team.

The first problem was my own doing. I over-tightened the keypad clamp, which is just plastic, and snapped it. I must have had 5Nm "programmed" into my wrist as I was doing a bunch of handlebar reconfiguration stuff, and while 5Nm (or so) is great for brake levers and shifters, it's not right for plastic keypads. Unfortunately, the plastic clamp is one piece with the whole back of the keypad and is not a replaceable part. Anyway, I contacted Luna, explained what happened, and in a few hours they sold me a replacement keypad (remember, this was my fault) at a hefty discount.

The second problem was much more severe. It was on my wife's bike, so diagnosis was more difficult. At first, she complained that the bike was shifting gears on its own. So, I rode behind for a while, but didn't see any chain movement that wasn't initiated by her. Of course, the problem doesn't happen when I'm looking :rolleyes:. On the way home, however, her motor just died. We switched bikes and I rode hers analog the last mile. Actually wasn't too bad, but wouldn't want to do it on any prolonged up-hills. At home, exploring what was going on, I found that if I rolled the bike backwards a bit the motor would work until I paused on the cranking/throttling and then it wouldn't startup until a backwards roll. And, not all backwards rolls. Ugh.

I made a quick video, emailed it to Luna support at 7:50 pm and got a response back from them the next day. After some back and forth discussion about whether errors were showing up on the display (none were) and checking with their mechanics, the preliminary determination was a bad controller board. Rather than just send the controller back they asked me to send the whole motor back. That was actually easier for me as I believe you have to remove the motor to get at the controller inside it.

A week and a day later a replacement motor was sent out to me. We rode this weekend and all is great.

So, in my actual, recent experience, Luna support is quite good.

You do have use Chat or Email, but that's not only OK, it's sometimes better. When they ask questions or have suggestions to try, it's great to not have to have people on hold while you go out and do something, not to mention the ability to embed photos and videos. For comparison, Evelo's support is predominantly email as well. I have used both chat and email for questions on the bikes both before and after sale and they're responsive if not always all-knowing.

It's true that the warranty is short, but you can pay to extend it for up to a year. I have decided not to, and so if I have problems beyond another month or so I'll be paying for support and if that happens, I'll report back.

Like crickets in this Luna forum. Wonder why? Smorgasbord, how is your over all experience with you new bike and would you buy it again or look for something else? Thanks in advance for any advice.

I've been working up an in-depth review. Might done by this weekend, but no promises - good weather means I'm doing more riding these days!

I've been working up an in-depth review. Might done by this weekend, but no promises - good weather means I'm doing more riding these days!
I'm probably going to pull the trigger on Friday. I need to make a choice and move on. If anything stands out to you and you would be willing to share it with me that would be great. Good luck on your review. I know those are a lot of work. Thanks again.

Back