Loving my Domane+ HP

pmags

Region
USA
I'm new too the e-biking world, but have put lots of miles in on regular bikes in my youth. I haven't done any serious biking in a long while, but I got it in my head that I wanted to go back to bike commuting to/from work. My commute isn't too long -- about 7 miles -- but it's hilly and I'm out of biking shape; plus living in the south eastern US I'd be guaranteed to arrive soaked in sweat from roughly May to September. I thought maybe an ebike would be the answer!

So over the last month I've been test riding various e-bikes, including models by R&M, Cannondale, Specialized, Gazelles, Bulls, and Trek. Finally got to try a Domane+ HP this past weekend and I fell in love with this bike! It ticked all my boxes -- under 40 lbs, great assist on the hills, comfortable riding geometry, felt fast but also very stable at speed. Admittedly it's overkill for just commuting, but I have aspirations to get back into doing long weekend rides and maybe some light touring again. Perhaps most importantly, of all the bikes I test rode it was one that had me grinning like a kid on Christmas morning!

Still in the honeymoon phase -- haven't had a lot of chance to ride this week do to poor weather so just about 30 miles on the bike, but I haven't had this much fun biking in a long time. Having the ability to call on the assist when I need it has so far been great motivator to go down little back roads and neighborhoods that I've never explored before. I'm looking forward to many more miles of enjoyment on this awesome ride!

Last edited:
I'm new too the e-biking world, but have put lots of miles in on regular bikes in my youth. I haven't done any serious biking in a long while, but I got it in my head that I wanted to go back to bike commuting to/from work. My commute isn't too long -- about 7 miles -- but it's hilly and I'm out of biking shape; plus living in the south eastern US I'd be guaranteed to arrive soaked in sweat from roughly May to September. I thought maybe an ebike would be the answer!

So over the last month I've been test riding various e-bikes, including models by R&M, Cannondale, Specialized, Gazelles, Bulls, and Trek. Finally got to try a Domane+ HP this past weekend and I fell in love with this bike! It ticked all my boxes -- under 40 lbs, great assist on the hills, comfortable riding geometry, felt fast but also very stable at speed. Admittedly it's overkill for just commuting, but I have aspirations to get back into doing long weekend rides and maybe some light touring again. Perhaps most importantly, of all the bikes I test rode it was one that had me grinning like a kid on Christmas morning!

Still in the honeymoon phase -- haven't had a lot of chance to ride this week do to poor weather so just about 30 miles on the bike, but I haven't had this much fine biking in a long time. Having the ability to call on the assist when I need it has so far been great motivator to go down little back roads and neighborhoods that I've never explored before. I'm looking forward to many more miles of enjoyment on this awesome ride!
Congrats, welcome to ebiking and best of luck!

Welcome. I have a Domane HP and quite honestly it has been one of my best purchases. I have just under 1000 miles on mine and I do so enjoy it. Stay on the forum and let us know your experiences

Still in the honeymoon phase -- haven't had a lot of chance to ride this week do to poor weather so just about 30 miles on the bike, but I haven't had this much fun biking in a long time. Having the ability to call on the assist when I need it has so far been great motivator to go down little back roads and neighborhoods that I've never explored before. I'm looking forward to many more miles of enjoyment on this awesome ride!
Need pics!

Did a short ride and hit my milestone today Enjoy your Domane! Yes and give us some
Photos

Attachments

• D50F5975-F6EB-4FA9-A85F-5A04263B1E63.jpeg
    D50F5975-F6EB-4FA9-A85F-5A04263B1E63.jpeg
    447.2 KB · Views: 304
Did a short ride and hit my milestone today Enjoy your Domane! Yes and give us some
Photos
Nice milestone! How long did it take you to hit that total distance?

I'm finding the Domane to be very addictive. The last couple of evenings I've taken it out for what was supposed to be a "quick spin" around the neighborhood, and these turn into 10 mile joyrides! I've a few more pieces of accessory gear incoming and photos will follow soon after that...

A Domane is what I’d get if I gave up either my Rail 5 or my Allant+7. Only real problem is I’d be more likely to ride in traffic!😳

Nice milestone! How long did it take you to hit that total distance?

I'm finding the Domane to be very addictive. The last couple of evenings I've taken it out for what was supposed to be a "quick spin" around the neighborhood, and these turn into 10 mile joyrides! I've a few more pieces of accessory gear incoming and photos will follow soon after that...

It is very addictive. I got it the first of March but really didn’t get to ride much until April. The bike really has such a small following compared to the Creo.

One month update -- I've now got about 150 miles on the bike and I'm still enjoying it greatly. I'm commuting to work 2 or 3 times a week (12 mile round trip) and squeezing in other rides in the early evening and weekends when I get the chance. Did my first longish (30 miles) ride this weekend. I still need to dial in the fit a little bit more; I think I may go for a slightly more upright and shorter stem (90mm, 17 degrees ) as I'm finding I'm not as comfortable in a stretched out position as I was in my younger days. Just dropped off the bike for it's 30 day "checkup" -- the mechanic at my local Trek shop seems knowledgeable and experienced with ebikes. Though I plan to do most of my own routine maintenance I'm happy to be able to call on their knowledge and expertise if need be.

Last night was a 61 degree blustery Indiana day. 18 mph headwind coming out of the North which also was nice when you were going East to West, lol. So I went out and rode a quick 14 miles just so I could get a ride in. I thought here is a time I would not ride my non e road bike. It was still tough but I got a good workout and was glad since we have had a ton of rain this week that I could get out. Once again the advantage of having an e bike. Just thought I would share and once again love the Domane HP.

FYI, just did a write-up on the Continental Contact Plus tires that I put on my HP. Put it in parts and accessories forum since others may be interested.

Oh, did everyone see the first woman to win Paris-Roubaix was on a Domane frame?

Last edited:
Drodg,
Interesting looking at the picture of your handlebars. I have my Kiox controller on the left side of the stem. That way I keep my right hand on the brake hood, ready to shift gears, or apply rear brake, while I shift E modes with my left thumb. See picture. How do most riders set this up?

riding Trek E-bike.jpeg
I now have about 500 miles on my Trek Domane +HP. Absolutely no problems. I noticed a minor clicking noise at the rear derailleur, just spun the fitting at the end of the derailleur cable, one turn, to take out some slack and it's quiet now. I did have a LBS remove the chain, clean it ultrasonically, then I cleaned gunk off the derailleur idler wheels, and front chain ring. Re-lubed chain, very smooth again.

One thing, in Eco mode, with a 100% charge , my display used to show 93 mile range starting out on a ride. Now, with the same, 100% charge, starting out in Eco mode, 80 mile range is displayed. Is this normal?

Last edited:
After a recharger mine normally shows 76-79 on Eco. I would say that is about what I get with my Domane except maybe if I use tour a few times on hills it lowers it some. I always feel pretty safe between 65-70 miles on a full recharge. Btw I average between 18.2-19.7 mph on most of my rides. Rolling hills but not real hilly. I have ridden a few times with a friend on his non e road bike and we average about 16 mph and my range shoots way up. Btw My Kiox controller is on the bottom right side of the handlebar. That is where my LBS installed it.

One thing I thought to mention; for Domane owners. The short lever Trek gives you (first picture) to rotate the axles does not give you much leverage, if you have to remove a wheel for a flat tire..
Even with greased threads on the axle I had trouble removing the front axle to put my bike in a car.
P1090738.JPG
I thought, if I get a flat in the middle of nowhere, I'm screwed. So now in the tool kit under my seat, I carry
(along with spare tube, tire levers and CO2 inflation cylinder) this 6 mm hex head wrench.

P1090736.JPG

Last edited:
Back