Losing my mind which mid drive bike direct

. I should stop with the suggestions.
No, please. I appreciate reading feedback especially from higher mileage riders. That feedback is invaluable. Sadly the brain boxer can only hold so much these days. I like to listen too! <wink>

TBH I'd be looking at those crazy Bafang mid drives like the ones Frey and Luna put out
Yeah, sure. Good diy stuff. I support BBSxx series and have or have had every version. A very different animal. And Bafang! Struggles aside it’s the most powerful DIY motor. 250W to 1500w. Strictly a DIY budget Chinese motor. I’d be unhappy without mine. 2 new 259w folders in progress. Very versatile DIY motor. With good pars acces the latest versions sport improvements and a fairly decent parts stream.

@Thomas Jaszewski hey. You have been one of the key people I follow here. Thanks for some incredible posts.

Would a Bafang motor be an option ? Asking for ... you know ... science. :)

Let’s just say if $$ was not the issue. )
Who me? Bafang? The company and series, BBSxx I love to hate and still love? My first EBike was a BBS01(a) 36v 350w. Still riding on one of the first 2. Second has been pulled for a parts source. 2014 parts are vapor ware. A better build quality and consistency would help selL them, but then the price and power. I’ve ridden every version until Ludicrous. I don own a frame with adequate braking.

I get slapped for saying it, but it IS a cheap Chinese mid drive. Still better or at least more powerful than the original stolen design. And while whining one remembers there’s not much else. I think we’ll have a new mid drive to support in 2020. BTW, two NOS 250W going on a pair of zizzo folders. 12A draw, 10s3p GA (wrong cell but I have them). Just a beater for those weekend poke around a new park adventures, Lighter weight, 5-8 miles range. Quite, simple, significantly lighter than any of my bikes by a substantial amount. Sorry to lazy to scale. It’s lighter, at least The BBS01B with 42t x 32t is a cautious goat. Emphasis on goat if needed.

I just can’t imagine there isn’t a market for an upscale, QC, version of a great motor kit. Bafang doesn’t seem to care, and even the fanboy doesn’t get decent CS.

At one time I thought a Canadian would come up with an East Indian manufactureD mid drive. I only mention it 5 years later and no motor.

Long winded, no. I’ve done them all. I’m wanting step through crank forward Yamaha. Having to buy Bosch is eating crow, but after ample practice, I cook it well.

Tom, being retired and of simple mind I hang around my friends eBike store a lot of my time, usually because I forget my way home. Anyway, a five minute ride from the store there's a 23% grade, I've made that my benchmark when testing or just riding my bikes. I can post a picture or video if there's any doubt but the best bike at climbing the grade is my Yamaha. I assumed it would be the HD or Ultra but no. I guess there's a reason those two motors plus the Shimano E8000 are what we see on mountain bikes, I know there are other reasons. That's with both the Yamaha and Brose running at 37 volts while my HD is at 48 and Ultra is at 52, both top out at 1600 watts. My Yamaha seems to get the best range with the Brose next and that including my rear hub drives. Maybe where you live you don't care about hills but they surround me. But, torque is torque.

Not to hijack thomas thread but Feliz will be interested to hear what programming changes you do and the results

I also have a yamaha and think it is a great motor and reliable - very efficient
Hoping to like my ultra better though
May have to get one of the eggriders, if I need to do any programming , will research them

@Thomas Jaszewski - have you compared, and if so, how do you rate the Bafang IGH's verses their mid-drives?

As I shopped the market I arrived at the same budget. You can buy some REALLY nice pedal bikes for under a thousand, like the latest from Trek, Specialized, Giant - so for me anything over a couple of grand seemed like a LOT of money for a bicycle, especially considering two at once, his and hers.

It may have been different had we not just bought new ones a couple of years ago.

IMO it's a different quandary for a regular commuter or car-less rider - their bike is then of much higher priority and greater budget consideration. Here a four or five thousand dollar premium rig seems more conceivable.

Kind of like car-shopping - there are some really nice cars for $30k, but surely not hard to spend double that! And they all do the same thing, albeit with greater luxury and/or performance the more you spend.

there’s not much else. I think we’ll have a new mid drive to support in 2020...
I just can’t imagine there isn’t a market for an upscale, QC, version of a great motor kit.

Which one? Is it the Revel that uses a Sempu bottom bracket torque sensor because that looks like a great 36v Class 1 mid-drive kit motor.

Tom, why don’t you demo?
I ride crank forward bikes. I find my little folder and Marin Hybrid frames awful and uncomfortable. My older Trek Pure and pre 2015 KHS Smoothies and friends 12 year old Townie are my perfect frames. The bigger frame KHS would be perfect if it's geometry had been carried out as a step-through. Upright and crank forward/flat foot. Period. There's my limiting factor.

I ride crank forward bikes.

Maybe check out some of the recumbent/crank forward bicycles at AlphaBENT in Cameron Park, they have Day6 and Rans among others, I know they’re simply pedal bicycles for another kit conversion but the frames might meet your comfort needs?

Maybe check out some of the recumbent/crank forward bicycles at AlphaBENT in Cameron Park, they have Day6 and Rans among others, I know they’re simply pedal bicycles for another kit conversion but the frames might meet your comfort needs?
I'm actually good with the half dozen rides I own. BUT I'm wanting to find a Yamaha mid drive. But with a flat foot frame. So far, dead ending that search.
I'm not unhappy with any of my bikes, BBS01A &B, BBS02A &B, MXUS DD. MXUS GD, MAC 10T F & R, I've had 3 BBSHD, but a couple eZee and Bafang GD....

I'm ready to retire my collection of zip ties in favor of a nice clean well thought out 2020 mid drive. I'm good with using my local LBS. We just need to find the bike...

40235 + 40236=40237

EDIT, YIKES, I COULD NOT MAKE HEADS OR TAILS OF MY OWN POST. THEN REALIZED I HAD USED MY IPHONE SE TINY SCREEN TO SPELL OUT A ONE FINGER WHISKEY INFUSED RESPONSE WITHOUT A SECOND LOOK.. MY MA SCHOOL ADMINISTRATOR WIFE WIGGED OUT WHEN I SHOWED HER.
Yeah, my iPHONE update combined with a stroke brain and a hurried “Post Reply” after 3 15 year old Balvenie single barrel on the rocks addled a response. mea culpa... maybe a better decider ring? Or 4 Oz. Might help? Better luck in the morning...<red faced and embarrassed> (but still a great glow...)

Note to self, Balvenie and eBikes don’t mix, whether riding or typing.

Red faced and embarrassed...
That is funny cause I had no problem understanding you. I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a Pre-frontal lobotomy....

Deep down you really want a Bosch powered Townie. You want the 500 battery and bigger Performance motor ,so get the new 2020 Townie Path Go! coming in December. It will also have disc brakes ,Deore changer and Super Moto X tires.

Last edited:
I can easily forgive an unedited spiel on ebikes, but putting ice in a nice single malt is an entirely different matter... I will now have to do a deep meditation!
😪
I have a nice Islay in the house right now. Ardbeg Uigeadail. But I only pour it and smell it then put it back in the bottle. (-"

Back