Looking to spend £2500 on an ebike..

Homet

I’m a hard time deciding which bike to go for. I was initially looking at a Haibike Trekking 4 but there seem to be a couple of alternatives at approximately the same price from lesser known companies like Gepida and Forme. These bike (including the Haibike) all seem to have more or less the same hardware and very similar pricing but the fact that the other two bikes are from lesser known manufacturers (at least to me!) makes me worried that when it comes to selling the bike at some point in the future, prospective purchasers are always going to go for the name brand. This is putting me off Gepida and Forme, even though I like the look of them more than the Haibike!

Haibike

Forme

Gepida

Can anyone help - I need to get something but I’m just flipping from one to the other!

No experience with any of them, but a few things I noted..

the haibike comes with mudguards, lights and a rear rack - you’d need to add these to the Forme if they are things you actually need (or look at a different forme like the Alport HTE Urban model at higher price with them). Adding lights to the Alport HTE would be stand alone lighting, lots of options and many will be better than the built offerings of the hailbike or Gepida. All depends whether you want an integrated solution or stand alone lighting with battery packs? The Forme is also using the older Gen3 Bosch motor, not sure which one the Gepida is using but with the battery and general design I suspect it’ll be gen3 too.

the battery cover of the Alport HTE looks prone to water and dirt ingress without mudguards. Similar cover on the haibike but at least it has the protection of the mudguard.

the design of the Gepida looks a little dated with the external down tube battery pack.

given the designs of the Haibike and Gepida, have you looked at Cube Kathmandu models? 2021 model range still being added to the website, but they did a huge range in 2020 with different battery sizes, and components specs at various price points. ‘One’ is lowest component spec level, rising through Pro to EXC. Some 2021 models starting to appear now..

also the Giant Fastroad EX Pro, rigid fork, smaller 375wh battery on 2020 models but still gives 50 miles on low assistance settings, and there were some on offer at ca £2.5k at Paul’s Cycles. 2021 version reportedly 500wh but I suspect it will be £3k+ when available.

and...

1. have you actually seen/sat on/ test ridden any of them?
2. what local support do you have?
3. Are these internet distance buys or models in local bike shops to you? (Do not under estimate having a local dealer of the brand ,even if you initially buy elsewhere ).
4. don’t assume that website stock levels are correct, supply has been tight for months and companies struggle to keep website stock positions accurate.

Last edited:
Recently got my first ebike so I know that indecision! Its a lot of money to fork out & lockdown makes it more difficult as not easy to test ride. What I did was look at where I live, my fitness and what kind of riding I wanted. So - is it hilly or flat where you live? Are you going to be mostly on road or off or a mix? And remembering that it's November now with a long wet & dark winter ahead I'd definitely go for one with decent lights included and sturdy mudguards. Needs to be comfortable. Funnily enough I didn't give those 2 much thought on my ordinary bikes, but bombing along on long spins I'm now grateful for the lights and the guards for keeping me safe & comfortable. I think Forme are well known in UK for ordinary bikes, that model looks good (but no lights or guards) don't know Gepida & that bike looks a bit generic to me and I only know Haibike from being on here but always feel like they have one too many bends in that top tube! Have you looked at more mainstream brands like Giant, Cube Specialized or Trek?

No experience with any of them, but a few things I noted..

the haibike comes with mudguards, lights and a rear rack - you’d need to add these to the Forme if they are things you actually need (or look at a different forme like the Alport HTE Urban model at higher price with them). Adding lights to the Alport HTE would be stand alone lighting, lots of options and many will be better than the built offerings of the hailbike or Gepida. All depends whether you want an integrated solution or stand alone lighting with battery packs?

the battery cover of the Alport HTE looks prone to water and dirt ingress without mudguards. Similar cover on the haibike but at least it has the protection of the mudguard.

the design of the Gepida looks a little dated with the external down tube battery pack.

given the designs of the Haibike and Gepida, have you looked at Cube Kathmandu models? 2021 model range still being added to the website, but they did a huge range in 2020 with different battery sizes, and components specs at various price points.

also the Giant Fastroad EX Pro, rigid fork, smaller 375wh battery on 2020 models but still gives 50 miles on low assistance settings, and there were some on offer at ca £2.5k at Paul’s Cycles. 2021 version reportedly 500wh but I suspect it will be £3k+ when available.

and...

1. have you actually seen/sat on/ test ridden any of them?
2. what local support do you have?
3. Are these internet distance buys or models in local bike shops to you? (Do not under estimate having a local dealer of the brand ,even if you initially buy elsewhere ).
4. don’t assume that website stock levels are correct, supply has been tight for months and companies struggle to keep website stock positions accurate.
Similiar advice there Percy - I'd second the Cube Kathmundu, it looks a decent bike with plenty of options, or the Giants. Plus provided everywhere is not sold out, this time of year you might pick up one of the 2020 models discounted - though covid & demand has thrown everything out of whack.

How likely are you to sell it? Myself, I never think about that prospect. It is more important to think about service and warranty, but that does not necessarily mean the big brand will be better.

As Percymon points out, the Forme does not come with mudguards or lights, and from looking at it does not appear to be set up to add those easily. How important are those items to you?

I’ve ridden the Alport HTE and it was brilliant. Loved the fatter tyres and the Bosch motor but wasn’t wild about the fact that it didn’t have mudguards or lights etc. Unfortunately the dealer didn’t have the Urban model and I’ve not been able to find one anywhere. Delivery is apparently in Feb or so for the Urban. I like the look of the Urban!

Ive sat on the Haibike today. Not ridden it as the dealer doesn’t do test rides anymore (covid) so I’ve not tried a bike with a Yamaha motor. The Haibike was a 52cm size but for my height I apparently should have a 48cm frame and of course, that’s sold out everywhere. I have to say though, the 52 felt fine as long as the saddle was all the way down.

Ive not tried the Gepida, there don’t seem to be any dealers near me and I have a 2 hr drive to test ride it. I do agree that it looks a little old fashioned.

As for selling, I’m not planning to see but I do realise that things change and what was comfortable and really nice can, over time, turn into something that isn’t suitable anymore, so I really do have to think about that carefully, before I spend the cash!

I couldn’t find the Kathmandu for anywhere near the same price. Most seemed to be over £3k and not in stock anyway with deliveries well into April or May next year!

Had not considered a Giant. Looked at the Cube performance at £1999 but the guy in the shop said it wasn’t very good and not in stock anyway. I’m not happy at spending £2k on something ‘not very good!’

I’ve ridden the Alport HTE and it was brilliant.
I think you have answered your own question.
Loved the fatter tyres and the Bosch motor but wasn’t wild about the fact that it didn’t have mudguards or lights etc. Unfortunately the dealer didn’t have the Urban model and I’ve not been able to find one anywhere. Delivery is apparently in Feb or so for the Urban. I like the look of the Urban!
The dealer should be able to add fenders, lights, and a rack. They won't be the same as what is on the Urban, but they might be even better than stock.

Thats what makes it extra tricky right now; low stock and no test rides hampering choice. The sizing is tricky. At 5'9 I found myself exactly between Medium and Large - I ordered Medium, the last one they had & anyway Large was sold out and, to my relief, it's been fine. But I did have a few sleepless nights. If you liked the Haibike & it's got lights rack and guards can you get that same model elsewhere? I think correct sizing is important and having the seat all the way down doesn't sound great.

The only 48cm Haibike was on eBay from Germany. I sent the company an email asking if it would carry a uk warranty and where I’d take it if something went wrong and they never replied. I have found a couple of the womens model or ‘low standover’ as they call it, with the lower cutaway and I’m pretty sure they’d be great but I don’t know if there’s any other differences! Don’t care the slightest about it being for women though!

It's good that you have at least managed one test ride; my local dealer in town had a Trek Allant+ 7 (Medium frame at £3100), the Giant Fastroad EX Pro (Large frame at £2899) - at 6' tall i actually felt OK on the M frame Trek, and a bit stretched out on the L frame Giant, no test rides though. Tried Giant Bristol, 40 minutes drive, and they had a ML frame and offered a test ride as long as i wanted.

Was the Alport test ride your first real ride on an eBike ? Almost everyone is blown away by their first ebike experience

No, I already have an Engwe EP2 fat tyre e-bike but it’s bloody heavy and killing my back to lift it into the car!
Ive still not ridden the Yamaha so I’m a bit nervous ordering the Haibike. What if I don’t like it etc!

I’ve looked for used bikes but none of these companies apart from Specialized and Trek offer any warranty to second owners. Most bikes you buy from the ‘yoof’ have been hurled down a hillside, probably. 🙂

Yamaha motors are very good and reliable, @Homet. There is a Yamaha/Giant motor in my e-MTB and it works like a dream.

I’ve seen several reviews that say that the Bosch motor gives far more miles per charge than the Yamaha, is this not the case?
Not. I don't want to elaborate now but the range depends mostly on your speed relative to air, and elevation gain combined with your weight. It is not that Bosch motor is more efficient than Yamaha or Brose. Completely not. Don't trust marketing material. I own three different e-bikes (Specialized/Brose, Giant/Yamaha and a hub-drive one) and each of the bikes has similar range with similarly sized batteries and ridden at the same route and at the same average speed.
P.S. I have forgotten about the rider's leg input: It can increase the range twice for the same ride parameters but two different cyclists.

The only 48cm Haibike was on eBay from Germany. I sent the company an email asking if it would carry a uk warranty and where I’d take it if something went wrong and they never replied. I have found a couple of the womens model or ‘low standover’ as they call it, with the lower cutaway and I’m pretty sure they’d be great but I don’t know if there’s any other differences! Don’t care the slightest about it being for women though!
48cm is the smallest men’s frame size, which sounds a bit small unless you are 5’6”: a 52cm one I suspect would be a better fit for riders up to 5’10” (of course not everyone is the same shape or has the same flexibility). At 6’0” I felt a little stretched out on my large frame Specialized MTB and felt similar on a large frame Giant Fastroad ExPro; the Giant ML frame suits me much better.

Last edited:

Yes, I found all of those and Bikester are the only ones to have the 48cm but I’m not sure if they have a UK warranty as they’re in Germany.

Yes, I found all of those and Bikester are the only ones to have the 48cm but I’m not sure if they have a UK warranty as they’re in Germany.
Better be careful. Haibike are known for the fact they require you send their e-bike back to Germany if there is no authorised dealer in your country and the e-bike is to be handled by warranty...
I sympathise with you. We all are living in interesting times...

Ok, some update here.
Ive narrowed it down to the Trekking 4 or the Cube reaction hybrid pro 500.
I know that the Haibike has all the mudguards, lights and rack installed and I’m going to have to install some of that separately but how do the bikes stack up against each other?

Some on also said that I should look at the Cube Reaction hybrid performance 500 which is £300 cheaper but I’m not sure how the older generation Bosch unit compares to the one in the Reaction Pro. It’s all just so confusing..

Any help would be gratefully appreciated!

Back