looking for suggestions

And conversely the opposite is true...you don't need a fancy lock. :)
@Brambor Its not about being a 'fancy' lock, just something that is harder for thieves to break. Inexpensive cable locks don't provide much protection, unfortunately; however, budget minded folks can consider combining a decent cable with any kind of U-lock. If you just spent $1000 - $2000 on your new ebike, then a $100 on a good lock is only 5 to 10% of your initial investment--not much. Better and cheaper than losing your cool bike!

It wasnt long after I made that last post about st2 anti theft that I realized, I'd still have to lock the bike to something stationary and lock the rear wheel to the frame so someone doesnt run off with the motor. So again I'm off the st2 cloud and back on the ground. Thinking hard about the st1 elite now...

It wasnt long after I made that last post about st2 anti theft that I realized, I'd still have to lock the bike to something stationary and lock the rear wheel to the frame so someone doesnt run off with the motor. So again I'm off the st2 cloud and back on the ground. Thinking hard about the st1 elite now...

Quick fix to that: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/lock-strategy.html

I've locked Neos, Stromers and Bionx conversions outside of movies for the last 2 years just doing this and never had a problem. Kryptonite series 2 U has worked fine for me. Trying bigger stuff was too heavy or large.

Bike Shepard and Bikespike work. Also take the serial number and get a photo of you with the bike.

The Sheldon method is all you really need for most places. However, if you're in a place like NYC... lock it up inside. 3 tough u locks.

Thanks for the feedback.

Can anyone explain why the st1 is $750 cheaper at competitivecyclist.com? Are there stores that price match?

Do you think the st1 will go on sale elsewhere when the st2 hits stores?

I found a local store that carries stromer and specialized brand bikes but they only have the platinum st1 and after adding the city kit and taxes you're looking at a $5000 price tag. Whereas the one I actually want, the elite, is nearly half the price from the website above. I can upgrade to the platinum battery and city kit and still be around $3700 shipped.

Edit; they have free shipping right now so its gonna be around $3500 actually.

Been looking at store reviews and competitivecyclist.com gets really mixed reviews. Mostly negative reviews about prices outside of sales but also some complaints about returns. Plenty of good reviews too though, about 50/50.

Last edited:
Good choice on abandoning the ST2 idea. That bike has a lot of wizbang features that are essentially useless. The only thing it has going for it is that huge battery.

I also agree the city kit rear rack sucks. Its only good for light duty applications, which I am not. It looks the best though.

I use an Onguard Pitbull STD ulock on sale for $30. Its wide enough that it fits around the battery downtube for additional battery security (let's face it that locking door is joke and be easily opened). Its also long enough that it can fit around your rear tire (a la Sheldon Brown Method) and your seat tube. Then run a cable to the front wheel and this is about as good as you can get for security. Not much heavier than the Kryptonite 2 series, which I also own. Its BIG though but it fits fine in my pannier. I only use it when the area I am parking my bike calls for it. For most around town stuff, I use the Kryptonite.

If you haven't already, hit up Crazy Lenny for ST1 pricing.

Last edited:
Ohh yeah - do not buy into those insurance policies of the bike locks as any sort of protection. They are a scam. In most cases it requires evidence of the lock being broken and almost never includes protection against power tools or torches.

Most ulocks worth a damn absolutely require an angle grinder to get off. If you live in an area where this is common, you'd be better off buying a guard dog and trailer to haul it around with the bike.

Or, check with your home owners insurance (if you have this) to add your bike to the policy if its not already included.

i carry the hiplock in my frame bag. That lock plus my bike insurance gives me coverage and peace of mind. But I rarely leave the bike unattended for longer than 20 minutes and 99% of the time I choose a cafe/eatery with a view of the outside.

The Abus folding locks also pack a pretty strong size/security/weigh ratio:

Link Removed (Access Denied)

I use the same approach as Brambor. I rarely leave the bike outside unattended for long periods if I can't see it. Just too much risk in my area for such an expensive bike.

The Stromers or eBikes in general are unique enough looking that they draw a lot of attention - sometimes unwanted attention. I noticed recently that someone turned on my display while I had it parked, so now I use that hold the ON button for 6-seconds to lock the display feature.

Last edited:
In older Stromers there were only a few key choices. I could open up other's battery compartment and I assume they could open mine. This was pre ST1. I still have my old keys from lock replacements and older bikes ..where does everyone park please ? :) :)

Do be aware Doug that all the Stromers ST1 &2 are assist only unless you can come up with a used Sport. With assist and throttle Emotion Evo and Nitro line offer some very nice machines that seem to meet your requirements. There is also a lot of the Neos out there still in stock.

The Abus folding locks also pack a pretty strong size/security/weigh ratio:

The Stromers or eBikes in general are unique enough looking that they draw a lot of attention - sometimes unwanted attention. I noticed recently that someone turned on my display while I had it parked, so now I use that hold the ON button for 6-seconds to lock the display feature.

Yeah, that used to happen with my ST1. Annoying.

Pitbulls were tough, but I couldn't fitt'em in my belt... @Brambor those hiploks look great!

An old trick I used to use on my motorcycle was to have an empty well worn large caliber holster mounted to my bike. Apply a few NRA, law enforcement and other similar decals and the thieves tend to give your ride a clear berth. Perception is a great deterrent, most thieves are looking for an easy target and not willing to risk life and limb, of course there are always exceptions, all you can do is reduce the odds. And to Doug...give us a call or start a private conversation.

IMO, this issue of theft and bike parking options is one of the major reasons why bikes (and eBikes) will never be serious transportation for many. Yes, for some it works well as they are able to keep their bike either under surveillance or locked safely at work. But, for instance, not being able to leave the bike locked to something secure for as long as 2 hours without keeping constant watch on the bike is a big consideration on taking the car versus the bike even for relatively local (within 7 mi) trips.

Going to a movie and riding one's bike to get there is a very standard type of activity. What a shame there just aren't better/available/cost-effective solutions to ensure one's expensive bike is still there and in the same condition as when left.

At this point with some of these expensive eBikes, one might want to hire an armed guard to stand by the bike in certain areas in addition to 3 uLocks securing it to something like a lampost. (tongue-in-cheek suggestion, but maybe not really).

I apologize if I offended you. Perhaps I got too excited about something very insightful to me. Too much information for me to explain on an individual basis.

I simply deleted the post.

IMO, this issue of theft and bike parking options is one of the major reasons why bikes (and eBikes) will never be serious transportation for many... ...What a shame there just aren't better/available/cost-effective solutions to ensure one's expensive bike is still there and in the same condition as when left.

There are a few BikeLids in Fells in Baltimore, but would love to see more of them in more places. It's a pretty nice solution. You can leave one or two bikes, helmets and even some gear secured with a single U-Lock. We should lobby local businesses and organizations to install things like this. Electric car charging stations are popping up everywhere, why not support bikes too? Much greener.

http://www.bikelid.com/

Back