Looking for some advice regarding selling an e-bike.

Enargins

So, a while back I bought an Ancheer bike on the Internet for $615 (https://www.amazon.com/ANCHEER-Electric-Mountain-Removable-Lithium-Ion/dp/B01AU7KWXC/ref=sr_1_3). Being heavy (325 lbs); and hauling a 60 lb trailer with a 20 lb dog in it; and taking up hills without first downshifting; I damaged the battery.

After sitting idle for a few weeks due to weather, the battery now shuts off if too much stress is put on it. Bike's motor works fine. But if you try to go into a higher power mode, the battery's BMS shuts the battery off, and you have to flip the battery switch off and on again to reset it, in order to ride again.

So, since I'm heavy, I bought a more powerful bike, which I'm currently using.

So I was wondering what would be a fair price to sell the Ancheer for, since the battery is damaged. A new battery for the bike costs $189 on ebay. So whatever would be a fair price with a good battery, I would subtract $200 to cover the cost of a new battery that the purchaser would have to buy.

I'll note that I added a rear rack and an inexpensive bike computer to the bike (about $40) and I took it into a shop and had them do a complete tune-up/adjustment ($70). Also, the bike was ridden for less than 100 miles, and is in perfect condition otherwise.

Would be interested in any feedback regarding this. The price would be without shipping, and I would add shipping costs to the price, if shipping were needed.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm sure you have already visited this, but just in case you haven't, how long is a while ago? If the bike only has 100 miles on it I'm thinking it should probably still be under some kind of warranty. Any chance you can get them to replace the battery under warranty?

Donate it do Godwill and write it off for tax purposes

People like to say this a lot.
Do you itemize your taxes? Not many do, even more so with the recent increase to the standard deductions.

Itemize Deductions. Charitable contributions are only deductible as an itemized deduction. In order to itemize, taxpayers need combined itemized expenses for the tax year to be greater than their standard deduction amount ($12,000 for an individual or $24,000 for a married couple for 2018)

As for the OP - did you buy this with a "higher end" credit card? You might have some sort of purchase protection. From Amazon? Try warranty refund/return/etc...
Otherwise an unfortunately expensive lesson.
Best of luck!

So, a while back I bought an Ancheer bike on the Internet for $615 (https://www.amazon.com/ANCHEER-Electric-Mountain-Removable-Lithium-Ion/dp/B01AU7KWXC/ref=sr_1_3). Being heavy (325 lbs); and hauling a 60 lb trailer with a 20 lb dog in it; and taking up hills without first downshifting; I damaged the battery.

After sitting idle for a few weeks due to weather, the battery now shuts off if too much stress is put on it. Bike's motor works fine. But if you try to go into a higher power mode, the battery's BMS shuts the battery off, and you have to flip the battery switch off and on again to reset it, in order to ride again.

So, since I'm heavy, I bought a more powerful bike, which I'm currently using.

So I was wondering what would be a fair price to sell the Ancheer for, since the battery is damaged. A new battery for the bike costs $189 on ebay. So whatever would be a fair price with a good battery, I would subtract $200 to cover the cost of a new battery that the purchaser would have to buy.

I'll note that I added a rear rack and an inexpensive bike computer to the bike (about $40) and I took it into a shop and had them do a complete tune-up/adjustment ($70). Also, the bike was ridden for less than 100 miles, and is in perfect condition otherwise.

Would be interested in any feedback regarding this. The price would be without shipping, and I would add shipping costs to the price, if shipping were needed.

Thanks!
I don't think you can damage the battery the way you describe. So it is likely defective. If the manufacturer doesn't cover it under warranty, I'm not sure why anyone would want to buy a new battery from them. Maybe you damaged the battery some other way. Or there could be another problem. Not really worth the trouble by the sound of it. Used price is usually around 50% of retail. So $310 in your case. Subtract $189 for the battery replacement and $20 for general hassles and you have a used value of $100.

I'm sure you have already visited this, but just in case you haven't, how long is a while ago? If the bike only has 100 miles on it I'm thinking it should probably still be under some kind of warranty. Any chance you can get them to replace the battery under warranty?

Well, two things.

1) I bought it a while ago, but it's sat in my house for a long time after it became nonfunctional.

2) I bought the bike on eBay because it was $50 cheaper than the same bike on Amazon, and because eBay has a guaranteed return policy for 30 days. Only afterwards did I find out that the Amazon seller is the official seller and warranties the motor, battery, and controller for one year -- but not if it's bought elsewhere. So I'm out of luck in that regard.

And that might explain why the battery went bad. Perhaps I bought a knockoff, rather than the original manufacturer, and the battery was defective. That would make sense.

My guess is maybe 400 bucks if it had a working battery, and 300 without.

Thanks for the reply. Would be nice to get $300 for it. My thought, though, is that the person buying it would need to spend $200 for a new battery, making it $500 total. Would people buy a used bike for $500 instead of a new one for $615? Doesn't seem to be much incentive there to buy.

People like to say this a lot.
Do you itemize your taxes? Not many do, even more so with the recent increase to the standard deductions.

Itemize Deductions. Charitable contributions are only deductible as an itemized deduction. In order to itemize, taxpayers need combined itemized expenses for the tax year to be greater than their standard deduction amount ($12,000 for an individual or $24,000 for a married couple for 2018)

As for the OP - did you buy this with a "higher end" credit card? You might have some sort of purchase protection. From Amazon? Try warranty refund/return/etc...
Otherwise an unfortunately expensive lesson.
Best of luck!

Yes, writing it off for taxes only works if you itemize.

And, yes, an unfortunately expensive lesson -- one which I hope to recoup at least a little bit from.

I don't think you can damage the battery the way you describe. So it is likely defective. If the manufacturer doesn't cover it under warranty, I'm not sure why anyone would want to buy a new battery from them. Maybe you damaged the battery some other way. Or there could be another problem. Not really worth the trouble by the sound of it. Used price is usually around 50% of retail. So $310 in your case. Subtract $189 for the battery replacement and $20 for general hassles and you have a used value of $100.

You may be right about it possibly being defective. See my post, above, about orig manufacturer on Amazon vs. eBay.

The batteries on eBay, though, aren't from the original manufacturer. They're from companies that make and sell batteries. So probably OK.

As for used price being half of retail, that may be so. But in this case the bike is almost like new, except for the battery. Like I said, less than 100 miles on it. So I think a little higher than half might be in order. I'm leaning towards a $200 sale price.

Back