Looking for info and help on a Radwagon

svswan

Hi all, first post and a new ebike devotee. I bought a slightly used Radwagon about a month ago. The odometer showed 37 miles. I was hoping I got a great deal but it appears I did not. With just over 100 miles on it the bike has stopped working. When I try to turn it on the LCD flashes random fragments of alphanumerics at me and then goes dead when I release the Menu button. Has anyone had this happen to them with a Radwagon or other ebike with a King Meter display? I'm assuming the LCD is bad. It would be helpful to hear if anyone had a similar problem and what solved it.

Since I'm not the original owner of the bike I doubt Rad Power will grant me warranty help. I'm going to ask, but I have not managed to get my hopes up.

I'm also seeking wiring diagrams for the motor and harness. If I cant get parts at a reasonable fraction of the cost of more well known controllers, displays and such I think I'll start replacing them with Grin stuff. Not sure how to identify which wires are which on the existing harness though.

I'll add any info I find to this thread in case it ends up being helpful to someone else.

Thx all -

i would definitely contact rad power, they probably wont cover it under warranty but think you will find their parts prices very reasonable

where do you live? if close to me we could try one of my extra displays
i am in az

first thing they will tell you is check all the plugs i think
then they should be able to help you figure out if it is the display or the controller

not sure about the radwagon or their electrical stuff but most of the rad power stuff is very easy plug and play, my recommendation is get their plug and play stuff rather than starting to cut wires and do grin stuff, i dont think you will beat the costs

let us know what happens and good luck

Hi Svswan,

I would recomend sending an email to [email protected] about the issue. The warranty won't be valid for second owners. However, we are still happy to help solve the problem!

In your case I would recomend unplugging and plugging back in specifically the 10-pin connector right above the battery and the connector that is green on the inside right below the display. Also, try unplugging and plugging back in the 2-pin connector that goes from the battery to the controller.

Thx Vincent/Scottv. I live in Olympia WA but the offer would have helped allot Vincent. I managed to send support an email from the office this morning and Cory got back to me. Sure enough, he listed 4 specific plugs to unplug and inspect. I think I've undone and checked them all all ready but will go through and do 'em in order. I do want to keep the bike stock as opposed to changing components. Mostly because I want to spend the money on a mid drive kit for my FS mountain bike! However I would rather spend double the money to only fix it once if I can. Hopefully the issue is something simple, and if not hopefully I get warranty on anything I am the original owner of ;-} I'm too beat to go check things tonight (12 hour day at work) but I'll report after I go through Cory's list step by step.

sure it is something simple and rad has been very good to me on helping replace stuff etc on my out of warranty rover

they will help you figure it out and get it running in no time

keep us posted

I checked the fittings Cory suggested I check - the motor connector, main, battery and display connectors. All good. Tried pulling the brake connectors and starting it to no avail. I read somewhere a faulty brake cut can mess with the system at startup.

I noticed that there is a white and black lead exiting the back of the controller that are not well sealed. The boot that is suppose to seal them does not fit tightly around them, like it does on the other three larger leads leaving the controller. Anyone have this on their bike? The white lead is not used. It has four female pins in a line, unlike any other connector on the bike. Anyone know what it does?

It's the programming connection they use at the factory. I wonder how to get into that? <mwa haa haa haa ;->. Cory suggested I bring the bike up to the shop and drop it off without explaining weather they would fix it or diagnose it and sell me the parts. Either way it's helpful, how ever dropping it off and picking it up will cost me 6 hours of time. Currently those 6 hours are almost more valuable then the $300 to buy a new controller and LCD from Grin. Just don't know how to connect to the Sengyi motor. Still trying to find the pin-out on that, or a way to test the wires to figure it out.

talk to cory and explain it is more to run it up there and to give you a price on a controller or whatever he thinks you should start with

my suggestion is do not go with an outside controller until you have tried the rad stuff, it is harder than you think

i learned a lot about modding bikes adding a CA to my cemoto and not much of this stuff matches up without a lot of wire cutting and soldering
i really think the rad stuff will be cheaper and easier in the long run

too bad you are not close, not sure if the radwagon takes the same stuff as my rover and mini but i have some back up parts that we could have tried....

Finally, heading up to Seattle tomorrow. They reminded me that the bike is not under warranty but they are willing to fix it for me for the cost of the parts. $80 for the LCD and $150 for the controller. I believe it's just the screen and that I'm willing to do. I would rather go Grin if they say it needs both... Much quicker to just put on stock parts, as you say Vincent. But I'm a gear head at heart and I wouldn't mind doing all the soldering if it wasn't too hard to figure the pinouts. Got a new BBSHD coming for my mountain bike though and would much rather work on that!

Bike is fixed. Rad Power/Cory did the troubleshooting and replacement labor of the LCD for no cost and I paid $80 for the part it's self. Water got in somehow, probable the last morning I rode it to work during a moderate rain. Going to put a zip lock bag over it as an umbrella of sorts. Everyone I interacted with at Rad Power were pleasant and helpful. I was bummed to have the bike malfunction, apparently not the bikes fault. The experience of getting it fixed was a good one though.

Back