Looking for First Commuter eBike - But 260 lbs.

hot_guitar

Hi folks, I am looking at getting commuter eBike for going 5-7 miles to work and other around-town things I am 61 and 260 lbs. I have ridden bikes all my live but live in a place with a few too many inclines.

What do you recommend for a good quality commuter bike for a heavy person?

We need some more info to help you out. There are a lot of options. What kind of bike do you have now? Are you mechanically inclined or prefer something turnkey? When you say "inclines" are we talking the overpass in central Kansas or the cog railway up Mt. Washington NH? And of course the big one , your budget.

Budget and bike type are a good place to start here. Don't worry about your weight, your within spec on most major brand bikes (i am not and haven't had any issue myself!)

I don't have a bike now. Regarding inclines, most are moderate, but there are plenty of 5-7% grades. Budget: $3000....just looking for a commuter bike where i am sitting mostly upright. I don't need to speed around, just looking to be eco-friendly.

Then cruisers or upright dutch style bikes are good for you. I will still advise choose a bike with strong brand.
Don't go with bafang motors .

Pedego, Some of Yuba bikes, Ariel Rider are good options. Check each one as they must have discounts right now .

Vintage electric is an awesome bike too but price can be little higher than your budget.

A local dealer carries Pedego and Easy Motion. Do you think the Easy Motion City Wave is a good choice? 500W motor, battery on frame, good brakes. The only possible downside is that you can't use the throttle while using pedal assist, but having never ridden one, I don't know if I would need that. Anybody have any thoughts on this and/or Pedego City Commuter/Interceptor vs. Emotion City Wave?

Thanks to all of you for your kind help!

A local dealer carries Pedego and Easy Motion. Do you think the Easy Motion City Wave is a good choice? 500W motor, battery on frame, good brakes. The only possible downside is that you can't use the throttle while using pedal assist, but having never ridden one, I don't know if I would need that. Anybody have any thoughts on this and/or Pedego City Commuter/Interceptor vs. Emotion City Wave?

Thanks to all of you for your kind help!
Both brands are very good! As for throttle, I started with a throttle only ProdecoTech and have now been riding an Easy Motion 29'er for almost a year and a half and never use the throttle. If it weren't there I'd never miss it, the torque sensing PAS is that good. Since both brands are local to you, try to test several bikes from each line to make an informed decision on a style and system you like. 3 G's will get you a very good and capable bike. Good luck!

Back