Looking for an ebike to replace my Electra Townie 21

BBSHD? Not sure what this stands for?
See post 14 about the drag of the BBSHD power off.
Posters on the site are passionate about people not getting any cardio exercise on their bikes. Yeah, on special trips, turn the PAS up to 2 and whiz along with the lycra road bikers - if they will allow you on their road. The ones around here won't wave back, I must be a low class homeless person (who owns 2 homes).
When you are going to the store for supplies, pedal it yourself - not dragging a shutoff motor along with your feet.

Posters on the site are passionate about people not getting any cardio exercise on their bikes.
Most of our customers are older and retirees. I get my exercise walking and doing cardio at home. In my case, it's a 15-year-old top-rated treadmill. My bicycles let me ride like my road bike buddies.

I find your tales and shared posts a joy to read, but you're not indicative of the do it yourself market.

I actually "clown pedal" Assist is so high that I put little or no real exercise beyond keeping my legs in motion. That does help keep some range of motion. Being unable to ever ride as you do.

I do find that I need to use the 24-32T rear cassette/freewheel to be able to pedal home if I have a problem. Although I'm not shy about bumming a ride home.

I find this site more to your liking and critical of throttles generally. Lots of opinions and experiences, as it should be.

Thank you AlanDB. That is helpful information. I will check out the Gazelle Arroyo. Like you, I will not be using it for commuting but rather for recreational riding and when we get past this Covid19 I will resume riding my bike to the grocery store and other close by errands. I had seen some comments on this EBR site that describes some Class 1 ebikes has having anemic motors and wondered if my weight would keep that kind of ebike from being much assist. On the other hand I cannot imagine a real need for me to go faster than 20 mph other than downhill. The Verve+3 seems to be maybe a step up from my Townie but my LBS that is closest to me has suggested the lowstep Allant+7 which has a little more torque, 50 NM vs 75NM. I don’t know how much difference that 25 NM torque would make.
It sounds to me like the Verve 3 with the 50 Nm Active plus motor is very well suited to your basic needs. You could spend more on the Allant and it would give you more hill climbing power and a front suspension but the Active plus is very capable of climbing any hills , it just will not climb them as fast as the CX motor. The trail riding that you want to do may require wider tires and a front suspension fork and a Thudbuster or some seatpost suspension though, depending on the conditions, and then the Verve will not suffice and the Allant would be preferable. When you get an Ebike you find that your trip range is extended and you may find you want to explore off the beaten path more. Even though I have wider knobby tires, an air shock fork and a Thudbuster , I often find myself standing on the pedals over sections of trail like in this pic. Comfort is key.
1585249456886.png

Last edited:
You could spend more on the Allant and it would give you more hill climbing power and a front suspension but the Active plus is very capable of climbing any hills , it just will not climb them as fast as the CX motor.
Trek Allant 7+ is a bosch Performance CS motor. www.electricbikereview.com/trek/allant-plus-7/ Which as I said in post 14, probably drags like a boat anchor power off. You Retired & Riding were in the shop with one, did you ride it power off?
The whole ebike world wants you to visit your cardiologist 4x yearly and take your heart medicine. My cardiologist said there was nothing wrong with my heart except it runs too fast when I am taking electrocardiograms- which is because I am mad about the waste of money. I'm not in this shape because I have ever been a super athelete. I'm okay because I ride 20-70 miles per week mostly with the power off. I have an exercycle indoors which is BORING. Going to go ride it now for 30 minutes because I only rode 3 miles today, no 8 mile store run that I really needed.

A Google search for BBSHD will give you plenty of answers, Bafang are the manufacturer of a range of ebike motors.

I have mine mounted to a 15 year old Mongoose Tyax, used as a shopping bike it's great, pulls a trailer and can climb pretty much any hill I try.

Trek Allant 7+ is a bosch Performance CS motor. www.electricbikereview.com/trek/allant-plus-7/ Which as I said in post 14, probably drags like a boat anchor power off. You Retired & Riding were in the shop with one, did you ride it power off?
The whole ebike world wants you to visit your cardiologist 4x yearly and take your heart medicine. My cardiologist said there was nothing wrong with my heart except it runs too fast when I am taking electrocardiograms- which is because I am mad about the waste of money. I'm not in this shape because I have ever been a super athelete. I'm okay because I ride 20-70 miles per week mostly with the power off. I have an exercycle indoors which is BORING. Going to go ride it now for 30 minutes because I only rode 3 miles today, no 8 mile store run that I really needed.
My bike has the Gen 2 Performance CX motor and it is as you described , that is to say it is a pain to ride with the assist off. I have read that the new Performance / CX gen 4 motors do not offer any notable resistance when turned off nor do the Verves with the Active /Active Plus. I agree wholeheartedly indoor training is boring. It sure looks like we will have a world of boredom for a while.

Last edited:
I think everyone has given pretty good advice. I particularly agree with the test ride as many bikes as you can as the best bike for someone is quite an individual thing. What I'd say is that if you end up riding a lot I think it will benefit your health and then you'll probably want to buy more electric bikes in the future. If you look at this forum, most who ride a significant amount of miles have multiple bikes and have had many bikes over the years.

I justify/rationalize my expenditures as an investment in my health. At least that's what I tell myself to feel less guilty about how much I spend on bikes.

Update. Recently purchased a new Trek ebike from my LBS. I ended up on the Trek Allant+ 7 lowstep which is perfect for me. I have already logged over 70 miles on it in a couple of weeks and the ride is very nice. In ECO mode only, it puts vigor into my ride and I can go significantly further and faster while still getting some good exercise. It makes riding pure joy. Even though the battery did not have a full charge. I managed to ride over 65 miles before it got low enough to seem like I should probably charge it. It’s sportier than my Townie and is simply a delight. Stepping up to TOUR mode and I am sailing along. It makes me laugh while doing hills. It is simply so much fun. Switching gears is a breeze. It sure seems to meet all my needs.
Thanks to all for your input.

Update. Recently purchased a new Trek ebike from my LBS. I ended up on the Trek Allant+ 7 lowstep which is perfect for me. I have already logged over 70 miles on it in a couple of weeks and the ride is very nice. In ECO mode only, it puts vigor into my ride and I can go significantly further and faster while still getting some good exercise. It makes riding pure joy. Even though the battery did not have a full charge. I managed to ride over 65 miles before it got low enough to seem like I should probably charge it. It’s sportier than my Townie and is simply a delight. Stepping up to TOUR mode and I am sailing along. It makes me laugh while doing hills. It is simply so much fun. Switching gears is a breeze. It sure seems to meet all my needs.
Thanks to all for your input.
Congrats and enjoy!

I think everyone has given pretty good advice. I particularly agree with the test ride as many bikes as you can as the best bike for someone is quite an individual thing. What I'd say is that if you end up riding a lot I think it will benefit your health and then you'll probably want to buy more electric bikes in the future. If you look at this forum, most who ride a significant amount of miles have multiple bikes and have had many bikes over the years.

I justify/rationalize my expenditures as an investment in my health. At least that's what I tell myself to feel less guilty about how much I spend on bikes.
Thanks for your comments. That is how I view it also as an investment in my health. 😃

Perhaps...

Back