Looking for an e-bike with some unique considerations...

RUMBA

Greetings!

So, I'm looking for advice on buying an e-bike.

Test Rides:

First: Series of mid-mount Giant E-Bikes. Surprisingly, I did not like them. The didn't offer nearly the same torque, intuitive feel, and ease as rear mounted hubs.

Second: Specialized Vado and a Trek. They both felt confident and more organic, but again, seem to have had less power than the Schwinn.

Finally, I test rode a Raleigh IE Sprite. It was definitely spritely, which I liked, but seemed to occasionally lose power at higher speeds without enough effort on my part...which may be normal.

In reading reviews, the bikes below are possibilities:

Haibike: SDURO TREKKING 6.0
Juiced: Crosscurrent S
Raleigh: Misceo
Surface: 604
Motiv: Stash
Fuji: E-Traverse

Any and all advice welcome.

Last edited:
If stamina is an issue, I recommend a throttle.

Otherwise, I am not an expert on various types of bikes – I am only familiar with my own bike! So I’m afraid I can’t advise. I think it’s best to buy something that you can ride before you buy it and also that you can get support from a local shop.

If commuting and distance isn't an issue, and keeping moving for better health is, don't worry about a throttle. Use highest assist and moving will be easy. Try to get a bike that's torque sensing and not just cadence sensing. It will offer instant starts and feel natural. If the bike you like has a throttle as well, fine. I wouldn't feel that it's a necessity for your stated goals.

Good luck in your search! The day you start ebiking is the day you start getting younger:)

Think I would get a throttle and also maybe consider cadence bikes instead of torque unless the torque bike has a good bit of power behind it

I own a few different types of bikes And am a big fan of throttles and think they have many uses
Maybe a torque sensing bike when you are stronger

The only ones I have ridden out of that list are the surface604 which I really liked and felt it pedaled similar to a cadence bike

And the juiced which I think even if torque has a good bit of power

Either of those should work well for you

Other option is put a kit on the bike you have

At $1300 the Schwinn seems like a great value and if it has a 14 Ah battery (could not find this in the specs, only in review), then it is even better. As long as the 350W motor with a 36V battery is enough for where you plan to ride I think this is a great option, possibly just add a suspension seat post.

My Sycamore was a great value. I did, however, have to use the warranty to replace the rear wheel due to broken spokes. After using the replacement wheel/hub motor for another year, I found more broken spokes. Now that my 2 year warranty has expired, I'm having to replace the spokes on my own. I feel that the constant power/pressure eventually wears them out after about a thousand miles of daily city commuting.

Back