Looking for advice on which e-bike to buy

Please can someone advise what sort of e-bike I should be looking at? There are so many out there!

• older

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • female

• reliable

• Total voters

Janet

I am a 68 year old female, not used to bike riding but reasonably fit. I am hoping someone can give me good advice on which type of e-bike I should be looking for. I'd like something lightweight, reliable and comfortable, sit up and beg style. I would use it for short commutes including a hill, and the odd longer ride. Thanks in anticipation!

You would be better off finding a local bike shop that sells ebikes and ride a few... Probably a step through.. Look for a Demo or leftover model.

eBikes are all about comfort fit and if you like the way it looks!

Janet, my suggestions for you are:
-- borrow some bikes from friends and/or neighbors - bikes that fit you physically - and go for short rides, exploring areas near you or where your friends live who loaned you the bikes. How do you feel about riding some distance? Is it what you want to be doing? The more/less you answer 'Yes', the more/less you should invest in a bike.
-- definitely try out some ebikes, as they all feel unique from one another and we all seem to have our own 'take' on how they feel to us.
-- and if you're pretty serious about taking up regular riding, ask around (bike shops, folks you know who are regular 'bikers') to see if there isn't a community bike resource of some kind, where you can tinker a bit with bikes and can try out different bikes. It will give you a feel for what it means to maintain a bike (something all riders have to do, at least in some basic fashion) and get you exposed to all the variables that make up how a bike feels. (Here's the one in my small town, just as one example.)

Good luck to you!

You would be better off finding a local bike shop that sells ebikes and ride a few... Probably a step through.. Look for a Demo or leftover model.

eBikes are all about comfort fit and if you like the way it looks!

Thanks JoePah
Good advice. I live in Tasmania and we don't have a lot to choose from here, but will see what I can find.

Janet, my suggestions for you are:
-- borrow some bikes from friends and/or neighbors - bikes that fit you physically - and go for short rides, exploring areas near you or where your friends live who loaned you the bikes. How do you feel about riding some distance? Is it what you want to be doing? The more/less you answer 'Yes', the more/less you should invest in a bike.
-- definitely try out some ebikes, as they all feel unique from one another and we all seem to have our own 'take' on how they feel to us.
-- and if you're pretty serious about taking up regular riding, ask around (bike shops, folks you know who are regular 'bikers') to see if there isn't a community bike resource of some kind, where you can tinker a bit with bikes and can try out different bikes. It will give you a feel for what it means to maintain a bike (something all riders have to do, at least in some basic fashion) and get you exposed to all the variables that make up how a bike feels. (Here's the one in my small town, just as one example.)

Good luck to you!

Hi Jack
Great advice, many thanks. I live in a small town in Tasmania and we don't have a lot of choice re electric bikes, I'll have to go over to Melbourne and look at some I think. Love the bike kitchen, something some of us have been thinking about here.

Oh Australia... You may want to can this thread and start a new thread with the words Tasmania woman needs an eBike! There are few on here from Eastern Australia who would know a lot more of the hardware available there.

You could also buy a bike that you like and buy an eBike kit in Melbourne i think.. ..

Last edited:
Oh Australia... You may want to can this thread and start a new thread with the words Tasmania woman needs an eBike! There are few on here from Eastern Australia who would know a lot more of the hardware available there.

You could also buy a bike that you like and buy an eBike kit in Melbourne i think.. ..

Hi Janet
I assumed you were from USA.
I've just bought my wife a Avanti Discovery E which is actually better than Izip Path E3 as it has front shocks and seat post suspension. Your local Avanti dealers in Tasmania should be able to supply one for test ride and just as importantly provide after sales support if you purchase it.

For a hub drive ebike checkout the Smartmotion range, they are NZ design and have excellent reputation. Slightly cheaper and heavier than the Discovery E but just as good at hill climbing.

Cheers
Trevor

@Janet I still think much of the advice here fits your circumstances...and please enjoy a Flat White for me when next in Melbourne, one of Oz's many places we miss so much. It's not unusual for folks to hear about ebikes and jump to the conclusion it might meet either their transportation needs or recreational interests. But of course that only proves true if you would enjoy bike riding, and I'll be you can start to work on that assignment while still in Taz. :D Best of luck!

One overlooked point is fitting the bike to bike rack for car transport.
1) make sure you can lift it onto rack, remove battery first
2) how it sits on rack. In my case I had to cut a cable tie and reroute a cable to avoid it being damaged.

I am a 68 year old female, not used to bike riding but reasonably fit. I am hoping someone can give me good advice on which type of e-bike I should be looking for. I'd like something lightweight, reliable and comfortable, sit up and beg style. I would use it for short commutes including a hill, and the odd longer ride. Thanks in anticipation!
Janet, Easy Motion makes several 'sit up and beg style' bikes, like the Evo Street. At least one thread started by an Australian member here in the Easy Motion Forum, so I'm certain you'll have dealer support, once on the mainland.

http://electricbikereview.com/community/threads/easymotion-neo-volt-sport.1091/#post-11316

There are other members here from Australia, just Easy Motion came to mind, with the style of bike you note. Another bike that comes to mind is Easy Motion EasyGo City Wave.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

A smaller battery on the EasyGo models, giving less range, but a beautiful bike at a great price. (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Good luck!

Thanks JoePah, good point. I've also just realised that the bikes here have to be <200W or you need a licence.

Hi Janet
I assumed you were from USA.
I've just bought my wife a Avanti Discovery E which is actually better than Izip Path E3 as it has front shocks and seat post suspension. Your local Avanti dealers in Tasmania should be able to supply one for test ride and just as importantly provide after sales support if you purchase it.

For a hub drive ebike checkout the Smartmotion range, they are NZ design and have excellent reputation. Slightly cheaper and heavier than the Discovery E but just as good at hill climbing.

Cheers
Trevor
Thanks Trevor will check them out.

Janet, Easy Motion makes several 'sit up and beg style' bikes, like the Evo Street. At least one thread started by an Australian member here in the Easy Motion Forum, so I'm certain you'll have dealer support, once on the mainland.

http://electricbikereview.com/community/threads/easymotion-neo-volt-sport.1091/#post-11316

There are other members here from Australia, just Easy Motion came to mind, with the style of bike you note. Another bike that comes to mind is Easy Motion EasyGo City Wave.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

A smaller battery on the EasyGo models, giving less range, but a beautiful bike at a great price. (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Good luck!

Thanks JR that looks like the sort of bike I had in mind! I think weigh is important for me as I am not as strong as I used to be.

@Janet I still think much of the advice here fits your circumstances...and please enjoy a Flat White for me when next in Melbourne, one of Oz's many places we miss so much. It's not unusual for folks to hear about ebikes and jump to the conclusion it might meet either their transportation needs or recreational interests. But of course that only proves true if you would enjoy bike riding, and I'll be you can start to work on that assignment while still in Taz. :D Best of luck!

Hi Jack, Flat white it is! I've also realised the bike has to be <200W otherwise I'd need a licence. Thanks for your help.

Back