Looking for a good quality commuter

Canada Rider

Region
Canada
Hello all, thanks for the add. First a little about me. I am in my mid 40's, 6'1", 200 lbs and fairly active. I live on the west coast of British Columbia in Canada and live 6km from work and 10km from my girlfriends which will be my main commutes. I am trying to cut back on in town vehicle use and thought an ebike would be a great choice. I would prefer a front suspension due to the rough roads and for pure comfort but with so many choices it's tough to make a good decision. I also have bad knees (torn meniscus) so it is getting more difficult to use my mountain bike for long rides. Thank you for your replies

I have been looking at the Giant Talon as an option to give an idea of budget, around $3,000 Canadian

Oh ok, the talon e+ is what I think I looked at. I would like something with the ability to ride a gravel road also, guess I forgot to mention this. Thank you for your patience

Check the known problems threads of the brand reviews.
Giant, Trek, Cannondale, Gazelle, R&M are huge & have few complaints. They have dealers to deal with any problems. Smaller sales brands Blix, Kona, Canyon have few complaints but maybe just because the sales are low.
You can save money on battery if you only need to go 10 km. 10 AH should be enough. OTOH the bigger the battery the fewer times you have to remove it to charge it. Biggest savings on battery is not buying a patented one from a mid-drive company like bosch or shimano. Replacements are >$1000 and right now SH is not available in US. Batteries are good for about 1000 charges.
All motors & batteries are made in *****. Some are okay, some are sleazy. I find $221 ebikeling geared hub motors work fine on my hills & load, wear out in ~4500 miles. Replacements are cheap and don't have to come from the same company. I'm using $23 used bafang motors now. Loaded up on 4. If the cables match, takes less time & tools to change a hub motor than a chain. Watch out on 3rd party batteries, some are great & mid priced, some are ****. Littakal , jennie Mao & em3ev have some fans on here.
You'll need a 54 or bigger frame. Some brands come in sizes, others don't.
I find 2.1' tires avoid the need for suspension at the speeds I ride. 9 mph average, peaks of 30 mph down hills on perfect pavement. Knobby tires on road are cheap & roll over the metal,glass, tire shards that cause most flats. I wear out 90% of them without a flat, as long as I change out with knobs >3/32". If you have goat thorns in your area, liners, slime, armor inserts and $60 schalbe tires may still be required.
Don't forget some cargo attachment to carry security accessories for work. My 1/2"x6' sling & lock weigh about 10 lb. Can fit in a fabric grocery bag hung from a book rack on my $45 throwaway bike.
Edit, giant uses a yamaha motor which is pretty good & can be pedaled unpowered without drag if anything happens. Bosch motor except the most expensive does drag. All mid-drives eat more chains than my bike. I get 5000 miles per inexpensive KMC chain.

Last edited:
If your knee can still handle pedalling with lot of assistance then a throttle isn't necessary. For commuting in all weathers mudguards and lights are must. For offroad exploring, wide tires in 2.2-2.8" range and quality front fork(Suntour Mobie), large gear range 11-42t or 11-46t cassette. For middrive 60nm minimum, the 50nm motors normally come with 11-36t cassette. Typically hub drive bike's brakes and forks are cheap and nasty.

Test ride a wide range of bikes that will help you narrow down what features and style of bike works for you.

Back