Looking for a commuter/trekker hybrid

Mobits ...

Fifteen months ago I bought a Kalkhoff Integrale i11 (EU-certified version). It's the top-of-the-range Kalkhoff trekking/commuter ebike and is certainly beautifully finished and adequately specced - my dream bike.

You can see the bike in the EBR Show Us Your Best Pic thread (post #599).
Please also check my experiences in the EBR Kalkhoff forum (posts #6 & #9).

... David

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey David, I just saw your post. The Bike looks good! I saw a similar one while checking out one of the local shops around me. Very nice, but pricey! I'll check out the links you posted about your experience too.

I checked out a retailer for the Haibikes near me and took some measurements. No way I'll fit on a 60, even a 58 was tight. 54-56 would probably be right where I am used to. I've upped my budget for this and have been looking at the higher end models in the Haibike Trekking series - the dealer I visited yesterday showed pretty low stock for the US 9.5 models in this size from their distributors (AKA, single digits).

I did some back and forth with a UK e-bike shop, with VAT removed the difference to pick a US Haibike Trekking 9.5 or ship a European Trekking 9.0 (with powerpack) is just shy of $700 or so. That gap lowers to <$200 due to sales tax if I were to buy local. (The Kalkhoff I inspected locally was more expensive than either of those options! :S) I could by online in the US, but ultimately that still leaves me with a few problems that are easier to solve with a little more money upfront and the peace of mind that comes with it. So I'm leaning more and more leaning towards the Euro bike and having it shipped.

Mobits ...

You can always make a too-small bike bigger, but you can't shrink a big bike. When I bought my ebike I had to choose between S and M - knowing that whichever I chose, I would wonder afterwards whether it had been the correct choice. I went with the medium, which is theoretically correct, but now poses problems with fine tuning; for example, replacing the standard seatpost with a Thudbuster which only just fits.

The Haibike Trekking, my original ebike choice, was unavailable locally early last year; therefore, I chose the Kalkhoff Integrale which has given me six months acceptable service (out of fifteen months). A fickle beauty, if ever there were one.

... David

Last edited by a moderator:
Few points from long thread.

For commuting mudguards, rack and intergrated lights running of motor controller is only way to go. Rechargeable lights are a pain, just one more thing to takeoff when locking up bike and to charge on regular basis. All of above can be purchased online see www.bike.discount and fitted later but better if bike comes with them.

Because of your weight I'd go with eMTB drive eg Bosch CX, Yamaha/Gaint, Shimano E8000, Brose. You will need extra torque on big climbs. 500whr battery minimum. Some have larger inframe 650 batteries others dual 370whr. Factory drive 500whr batteries like Bosch powerpack, shimano powerpack and Yamaha have advantage they are easy to source anywhere in world. Something to consider if shipping battery is issue. Bosch and Shimano are easiest come by with Shimano about 20-25% cheaper. Plus they can be removed quickly for charging.

Go for higher spec level, definitely 100mm air fork for dirt/fire road riding, as bonus drive train will be better spec. If 10 spd you want 11-42t cassette not 11-36t that are on some bikes, 11spds will be 11-42t or 11-46t. You will need the low gearing when going off road, other plus allows you climb in lower power level extending battery range.

A hardtail eMTB or trekking bike with 29" wheels, they roll better than 27.5. There are 27.5+ wheels but hard find trekking bike setup with them, plus full mudguards hard come by.

Most important thing, do lots of test rides and make sure you choose frame that works for you even motor isn't you first choice. If frame is poor fit you wont be riding it far.

Back