Looking at Giant Lafree E+2

PatriciaK

Region
USA
City
Pacific Northwest and Piedmont Triad
Hello everyone,

My research for my first e-bike has gotten me narrowed down to the Giant Lafree E+2 for the Yamaha mid-drive, step-through frame, battery placement, comfort level (I've been on two test rides, with and without hills), and the price.

I've noticed posts here regarding the chain slipping and needing maintenance, and am looking for more info or updates on those issues. The salesperson tells me maintenance is just like what a regular chain would be, and I can handle that, but if it's more than that, I'd like to know. Also, if there are any other troublesome issues people have run into with this bike, I'd like to be aware before making my final decision, thanks!

While its a stiff upgrade for the Lafree E+1 (extra $400) I feel it's worth the price. No chain, just a Gates belt drive and a Nexus 8 Speed Inter Hub. Not for everybody but for some it's E-bike nirvana! I wish Giant sold a Gates/Nexus bike with the Yamaha Sport drive.

Reactions: CSH
I did ask about the E+1, but the salesperson advised against it. He said it's complicated and expensive to work on if anything goes wrong with it...

I've already doubled what I thought would be my initial investment in this, and I don't even have a rack, lock, or helmet yet 😜!

Research/testing shows belts last at least 2-3 times longer, they are not covered in oil and the only maintenance is tension adjustment. They are also silent in operation.
The wife and I both have GIANT Dailytours (European) belkt drive.
1567329084381.png

That salesman was incorrect. I've own regular bikes with nexus 8 hubs and found then bulletproof. Unlike the archaic cluster chain rings based on fifty year old technology. The Gates belt drive has a 10,000 mile guarantee and is a breeze to change. My wife has a LaFree E+1 and the only problems so far was adjusting a squeak in her front disk brake. Took 5 mins to diagnose and fixed.

The reason you don't find many Gates belt drive bike is because it requires a special bike frame that can be split apart to mount the belt. Chain links are simply broken and re-attached so the 90% of bike frames are a solid welded piece.

Is there any issue removing the rear wheel (like to change a flat) with a belt drive?

I'm not sure but I wouldn't think it's a issue. To remove a chain off of cluster gears doesn't require breaking apart the chain so I would think it's same procedure for a Gates belt. Honestly haven't reached that point yet but just by looking at it I'm thinking no problems. To change the belt looks different but not complex. No experience with splitting the rear frame but looks easy peasy to me. Good questions but best for a official Giant dealer to answer,

Is there any issue removing the rear wheel (like to change a flat) with a belt drive?
No. Same as removing a wheel with a chain except you don't have a derailleur in the way or a dirty chain dangling. You just need to make sure the belt is tight after you put the wheel back on.

I, also, have the E + 1, and your salesman was dead wrong. It is far more maintenance-free then the E + 2. The belt is absolutely silent, and the internal gearing is a dream. You really don't have to do anything with either once they are set up by your bike shop. This is the first time I've had a belt drive, and specifically looked for one because I no longer wanted to deal with chains and derailleurs.

Last edited:
Another thought I'm having is that if I'm bumping myself up (again!) Into the $2500 range - which at a list price of $2400, I am - it might be better to look for a bike that's a bit lighter than the hefty Lafree. I'd be willing to keep the chain if I could lose a few pounds.

This is more complicated (and expensive) than I thought it would be...

Last edited:
Honestly, you will be hard pressed to find a "lighter" ebike that will make a significant improvement over the E+1 without spending a heck of a lot more $$$.

You need to decide what you honestly want to ride on a daily basis, and buy accordingly. A few dollars more may just tip the scales for a better overall riding experience and ownership in the long run if you plan to have this bike for 5 or more years of riding.

Last edited:
Another thought I'm having is that if I'm bumping myself up (again!) Into the $2500 range - which at a list price of $2400, I1 am - it might be better to look for a bike that's a bit lighter than the hefty Lafree. I'd be willing to keep the chain if I could lose a few pounds.

This is more complicated (and expensive) than I thought it would be...

The Trek Verve plus is 45 pounds which is lighter than the LaFree (which from what I have been able to find is ~55 pounds, although Giant doesn't list the specifications). The $2500 price is similar, but you do lose the belt drive.

Thanks! I've also been looking at the Aventon Pace 350, which is a similar weight to the Verve. I wouldn't have a belt drive with that, either... But I'd have a throttle 😉. I also need to check the WA regs for class 2 bikes - I don't want to limit myself by having that throttle, even if I wouldn't use it much. Aventon owners here seem happy, except for the assembly part. I would have my local bike shop assemble for me.

Thanks! I've also been looking at the Aventon Pace 350, which is a similar weight to the Verve.

I had a chance to try out the Aventon Pace 350 when I was in Ohio. (There wasn't a single place I could find to try one in the Pacific Northwest.) It seemed a nice bike overall and I will probably be ordering one for my daughter.

One thing I did note is that it has a voltage based controller which means that it tries to achieve a certain speed based on the assist level you program. For example, if you set the assist level to 1 the motor comes on fairly strongly until it nears ~10mph when the power starts going down, hitting zero a few mph faster.

For the price the Aventon seems like a good deal.

Thanks! We're going to be spending a few weeks in North Carolina (not on the coast!) soon, and hope to find one there to try out. I'm also normally in the great PNW, but not near many bike shops - currently in the Skagit Cycle (who are very helpful!) orbit. Not sure how I'll like that motor, but I'll never know until I try...

Research/testing shows belts last at least 2-3 times longer, they are not covered in oil and the only maintenance is tension adjustment. They are also silent in operation.
The wife and I both have GIANT Dailytours (European) belkt drive.
View attachment 37519
That looks like a nice bike, Neil! Where did you get it, if it's a Euro bike? And, How much does it weigh?

Hello everyone,

My research for my first e-bike has gotten me narrowed down to the Giant Lafree E+2 for the Yamaha mid-drive, step-through frame, battery placement, comfort level (I've been on two test rides, with and without hills), and the price.

I've noticed posts here regarding the chain slipping and needing maintenance, and am looking for more info or updates on those issues. The salesperson tells me maintenance is just like what a regular chain would be, and I can handle that, but if it's more than that, I'd like to know. Also, if there are any other troublesome issues people have run into with this bike, I'd like to be aware before making my final decision, thanks!

I suspect the reason that the sales person didn't recommend it was because they didn't have one in stock. I have owned the E+1 for two months and the highlight of the bike is the belt drive. I wish I had not purchased the LaFree bike but it's not because it has the belt drive.

Why do wish you had not purchased it?

I've taken a step back and am looking at other options, like the Verve+ from Trek. I want to be able to ride the bike without assist, and the Lafree is about 10lbs heavier so may be more difficult. It's still an option, but I want to at least try some other bikes before I commit to it.

Back